Getting in Shape
Options

need help with losing weight and exercises!!!

I like to exercise but I have absolutely no motivation for some reason and I'm really starting to stress out.  It doesn't help that I sprained my ankle and I am not allowed to do any running/jogging or workout DVD's that have cardio in them because I'm in an aircast for anothe 2 wks. 

I was just looking for help with other exercises to do, and I don't have access to a gym or a pool.  So far I've been doing a Pilates DVD but I'm not seeing any results which is probably why my motivation is wavering.

I have 81 days until my wedding and I tried on my dress and it doesn't zip so I'm frantic now for any advice...good or bad

Re: need help with losing weight and exercises!!!

• Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    When you can't work out, it is imperative that you keep your eating nearly 100% in check. 

A big part of weight loss (something like 80%) is due to your diet, so I'd focus on that.

If you're not already, start tracking your calories on a site like SparkPeople or MyPlate.  Those sites will calculate calorie ranges for you based on your current weight and your weight loss goals.

We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you like the idea of pilates, but not the DVD you have, I'd suggest looking up Erin Huggins on youtube. I never stuck with any pilates DVD, but I love her videos and did them for months. She has different videos for different parts of the body, so you can put together which ones you like to create your own routine. Good luck!
    IMG_0015

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Even with the air cast you should be moving your foot/ankle.  It will help with the rehab.  I hope your doc gave you exercises to do.

I digress, you can still walk and take stairs with that air cast.  Do you have a Wii?  If you do, you can do boxing and tennis (in the sports package that comes with the console) to get you moving a little.  The boxing training really gets your arms moving and heart pumping.  Doing little stuff like body weight squats, pushups (on your knees so you dont strain your ankle), crunches and stuff doesn't require a gym and are low impact enough that it shouldn't hurt your ankle.

I agree with pp that with limited mobility you should really focus on your eating habits.  Since you want to lose inches to fit in your dress, cut out sodium/salt, sodas, extra sugars and make sure you are drinking lots of water.
  • Options
    You should absolutely focus on your eating. Even if your killing yourself at the gym and eating like crap you will see minimal results if any. I would do what raynes suggested. There are calculators online that you can put your weight and height and goal weight into and it will tell you where your calorie count needs to be in order to lose the weight! I promise cutting your calories is enough to lose weight and inches. I had a baby 8 months ago and I lost 60 pounds. I have yet to step foot into a gym. Its all about what you eat. Exercise is great for the mind, heart, toning and shaping. It facilitates weight loss but it should not be your focus! Hope this helps.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Its hard when you can't do cardio.  Are you trying to lose a large amount of weight or just tone up?  There are workout videos that you can do that have less cardio like Slim in 6.  It uses resistance bands and you can march when they run and jog which isn't very often.  Its a 6 day a week workout for 6 weeks and I lost 2 dress sizes. I just sent my copy to another bride to help her get ready for her wedding.  I know firsthand that it works. If you are interested in ordering you can go to www.monisfitclub.com. UPS ships within days. 
  • Options
    Ok... Just like everyone else said: first of all focus on your eating.... you should be eating around 1200 calories a day (this depends on you starting weight... you can usually find a calculator online. Jenny Craig might have one since their program is based on calorie counting)....  It is imperative that you focus on your calorie intake. Eat 3-5 small meals a day and lots of water. 

Second.... don't worry so much about the cardio. Weight lifting is actually more effective for loosing weight. Not only do you burn calories during your workout, but the more muscle you have the more calories you burn on the average day.  

Obviously, since your ankle is hurt you cannot work on your legs (not a HUGE deal unless you are wearing a short dress). Focus on your arms, chest, and back. To amp these workouts up even more, do these exercises while sitting on a balance ball: it will strengthen your core. 

Just a tip of advice about the ankle (I am athlete who suffers from CHRONIC injury).... you definitely want to keep moving it. That doesn't mean go out and run or jump around, but a good exercise just to keep good ROM is to spell out the alphabet with your ankle. The last thing you want is a stiff ankle when you try to slip into heels for the ceremony.

GOOD LUCK! I hope your ankle gets better soon!!!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone...I actually ordered Slim in 6 right before I sprained my ankle so I will definitely start that then if the exercises aren't too bad.  I can walk without my air cast, but I hobble like an old lady.  I actually fell walking from a deck onto the grass with my foot in a hole so I have to wait until I go back for my follow-up to see if I tore any ligaments since it popped and is still really swollen.

I only trying to take an easy with it, normally I would be doing what I want, but I really don't want to screw it up even more. 

I've been following WW for a few years, but I stopped this past year and gained some of the weight I lost back, so I don't want to lose a ton, mainly just be able to fit into my dress again and anything additional is welcome ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards