Getting in Shape
Options

disappointed in myself

About a year ago I changed my lifestyle.  I have been eating healthy, exercising, maintaining a postive attitude.  I started smoking cigarettes after not having one for two years.  I had a weak moment at girls night a couple weeks ago.  I started back with I'll just have one when I drink, now I am smoking all the time.  My mom died at age 46 from cancer.  My husband won't kiss me because I stink.  I am so ashamed of myself.  Now I'm using the excuse that I don't want to gain any weight from quitting.  My husband comes right back with you can fix fat, you can't fix cancer.  I need a good kick in theass.

Re: disappointed in myself

• Options
    The exact thing happend to me, except I had only been a "quitter" for about a month, but I really thought I never wanted another one again.  It was the hardest month of my life, but I was so proud.

My fiance is also a smoker and had quit with me.  That is, until we drank socially for the first time since quitting and next thing I know, we are walking down the street to buy cigarettes.  It was only supposed to be for that night, but now, 8 months later, I smoke a pack a day again. 

After the honeymoon we've pledged to quit for good.  But I really wish I would have quit right after I started back up - it would have been much easier. 

Do yourself a favor and try to quit as soon as you can - the longer you continue to smoke, the harder it is to want to quit.  Take it one day at a time, and if you slip, you slip, but like dieting, just keep trying to quit and don't give up. 

As for weight gain - as long as you stay active and don't change cigs for candy/sweets, you shouldn't gain much, if any.  Stay strong Smile
    February 2013 Brings with it Community and Zombies. Ha-zah!

TTC #1 Since Aug 2011 - Everyone Always Welcome
    Lupus/Mixed Connective Tissue Disease(2009); Hypothyroidism(2012); Endometriosis(2012)
    PCOS(2012); Low Progesterone + High Testosterone & DHEA(2012);
    HSG (Arcuate Uterus)/ SA (All Clear)
    August 2012 - 50mg Clomid - Appeared to be no response, but cycle ended naturally on CD44
    September 2012 - 5mg Femara - 32mm Follie (Right) + Ovidrel + TI = BFN

October 2012 - 5mg Femara - 14mm on CD12 turned to 23mm on CD14 + Ovidrel + TI =
    BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 EDD 7/25/2013 M/C 11/19/2012 @4w5d
    November 2012 - 5mg Femara + Trigger + TI = BFN
    December 2012 - Natural Cycle ending in
    BFP #2 - 2/4/2012 EDD 10/2013 DX Unviable/MMC 2/11/13 Provera Started
    Chartilicious

• Options
    edited March 2010
    If you quit once you can do it again, but the longer you wait, the harder it will be. Did you gain weight the first time you quit smoking? Average gain for the majority of people upon smoking cessation is 5-10 pounds and it happens because they aren't prepared for the cravings they feel from nicotine deprivation, increased appetite, or the need to have something in their mouth. Since you've already gone through a major change in lifestyle, you're starting out ahead and should be better able to handle those issues. Even if you do gain a few pounds, it does NOT negate the benefits you'll get from not smoking. The cardiovascular effects begin reversing almost immediately after your last cigarette, and most people can recover 100% of their lung function within 6 months to a year. Here's a couple of articles about it:

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/quit-smoking-10/avoid-weight-gain

http://www.medicinenet.com/weight_control_and_smoking_cessation/article.htm

And if you google "smoking cessation weight gain" there are many more. Good luck.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    QUIT!!! I know it's really easy for me to say that as I've never smoked a cigarette in my life ( I was raised in a VERY anti-smoking household), but you've done it before, so you CAN do it again. This time, don't try to do it on your own- find a support group (there's got to be tons online), or even come here for support. And your husband is right- you can always work to lose weight, but changing the effects of smoking are much, much harder.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards