Getting in Shape
Options

P90X advice

Hey ladies!

I just ordered a used copy of P90X on Amazon.  It's coming with all the DVDs, but no fitness guide, so I was just curious if anyone who used it has any general advice?

Also, I noticed it has some strength training DVDs, and I want to tone, but I definitely don't want to gain too much muscle.  I know the program is for men and women, so is there any kind of adjusted program in the fitness guide for women who don't want bulk?  Or is it the same program regardless of your goals?

Thanks!

127image 88image 39imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: P90X advice

• Options
    Women don't bulk unless they try really hard.  All tone means is that the muscle becomes more visible and defined, which happens when the muscle gets bigger and the layer of fat over it shrinks.

Anyway, there is a P90X Lean program that uses the same DVDs, but in a different order to make it more cardio than strength (because the original order is definitely more strength oriented).  You can find it here: http://www.weightloss-hq.biz/exercise-reviews/the-p90x-workout-schedule-lean.html

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Honestly, you won't 'bulk' by using the classic version. I recommend trying the classic first, then switch to the lean if you want to adjust. When you do the strength training exercises, make sure you're doing between 12-15 reps and choose a weight that you'll struggle on the last rep or two. Are you going to use their meal plan? I did the portion plan and liked it. I have worksheets that I can e-mail you if you want them, but they are on my work computer so I'll have to do it in the morning. I only used the work sheets for about two weeks. Once it became 'second nature' I no longer felt I needed them. 

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    OP, you shouldn't "bulk" up on P90X.  I recommend reading "The New Rules of Lifting for Women."  It will help you understand how "bulking up" is exceptionally hard for women to do and NOT to be afraid of using heavier weights.  GL!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies!   I think I'll start with the classic....I saw the lean didn't have any plyometrics, which is my favorite:)  Then I can always adjust.
    127image 88image 39imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I started with the Lean program & just substituted Cardio with Plyo, per my sister's advise (She's done P90X twice now & has moved on to the Insanity program).  I've never seen the Cardio video, but the Plyo is one hack of a workout!

Good Luck!
  • Options
    angelson21 - you read my mind!!!  I've been following the New Rules for 3 months now (the workouts, not the diet) and I've lost 10 lbs as of today!!  Weight lifting is amazing for your body and you definitely do not "bulk up".  I'm lifting 25lb dumbells in each hand...so believe me...unless you do 'roids or have some crazy family genetics, you will not get bulky from using weights.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    PPs definitely have great tips!  I am currently in my 8th week of P90x classic and I absolutely love it!  Kenpo is my favorite:)  I've lost 10 pounds so far plus my clothes are fitting much looser.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards