Getting in Shape

vibram shoes

for those who have used them, please share your experience. i'm thinking of getting a pair.  :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: vibram shoes

• ME TOO!

I can't justifty the cost right now, but the minute my gym shoes bite the dust, I'm totally going to buy a pair.

Some of my friends who purchased them are in love and they are the only shoes they want to wear now.
  • Good to know! Do your friends use them for cross training, running, or both?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What shoes are you in now?

The reason I ask is that it might be in your best interest to work your way down from a traditional stability shoe.

Check out RunnersWorld.com, they have a shoe finder app that's great for finding what you need. I know it can be tempting to follow the barefoot running trend, but you also don't want to risk injuring yourself in the process.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • I'll check out the site! :) I'm a faithful Brooks shopper. I have the pure cadence (blue, green, and black).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love mine. I spent forever picking out the PERFECT pair though to make sure I use them correctly and get the right ones for the stuff I do. 
    What exactly are you wanting to know? 
  • I love mine. I spent forever picking out the PERFECT pair though to make sure I use them correctly and get the right ones for the stuff I do. 
    What exactly are you wanting to know? 
  • Comfort? How long does it take to be comfortable with them? Are they worth the money vs. lightweight shoes? Your experience with them. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • - There is no "break-in" time for Vibrams. The time it takes to get comfortable in them depends on YOU, not the shoe. Runners have a tough time breaking into them because "runners" tend to just do that.. Run. No other cardio. 
    I didn't need to tone back my work outs at ALL when I got mine because I do so many different cross training classes that I use all my leg muscles pretty frequently... So it was great for me! 

-Comfort is incredible. the two things I get asked about are: 
    1. Does it hurt your arch? 
    Nope. Not at all. They actually have a TON of arch support.. when you try a pair on and walk around you'll notice that. 
    2. Don't you feel like you have webbed feet? 
    When I tried them on at the store, a little bit because I hadn't worn anything like that.. but not after the first use. I totally forgot about that actually... The material is so thin and light-weight that my toes almost feel like they are touching. 

Yes, I think they are worth the money.. but shop around. 
    I wear the Treks (I use them in cross training classes and on extended day hikes up rugged terrain. ) 
    They run between 100-110.. but I waited for REI to mark them on sale and got them for 60 bucks... 
    Pretty awesome, and cheaper or about the same as any other gym shoe I would buy otherwise. 

****ISSUE PEOPLE HAVE****  (<-- haha.. I'm dramatic :o) ) 
    We were originally runners, right? Sprinters maybe? We were "meant" to run barefoot.. that's the idea.. HOWEVER we were not MEANT to run on concrete. They are NOT good for your joints if you're running on concrete only (which I think is a bad idea anyway.. but I'm not a runner ;)
    If you do mainly street running, look elsewhere.
  • ^^ thank you so much for sharing your experience. your post was very helpful! :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Course! 
     I like being useful :o
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_vibram-shoes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:21070284-d53f-4f32-9e67-67b42cc1448aPost:e58be88b-97c4-43cb-b3c0-88830a4835a9">Re: vibram shoes</a>:
    [QUOTE]-****ISSUE PEOPLE HAVE****  (<-- haha.. I'm dramatic :o) )  We were originally runners, right? Sprinters maybe? We were "meant" to run barefoot.. that's the idea.. HOWEVER we were not MEANT to run on concrete. They are NOT good for your joints if you're running on concrete only (which I think is a bad idea anyway.. but I'm not a runner ;) )  If you do mainly street running, look elsewhere.
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

So I know that you qualified this with we're not meant to run on concrete, but we're also no longer meant to run barefoot.  That's evolution, folks.  Not even evolution, but we're not raised walking and running around barefoot for our entire lives anymore.  Most people hear the "we're meant to run barefoot!!!!!!!" argument and think they can go out and run barefoot as much as they want, as long as they don't do it on concrete, and then they're really sorry when they get injured.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Go to a specialty running store and get fitted.  They will watch you walk/run/etc. and will be able to find the best shoe for you.  If you are really interested in learning more about them and seeing if they could potentially work for you, the specialty store folks are the ones you should talk to.  Everyone will have different experiences in the same shoes (obviously because each person's feet are different).  They will give you an unbiased opinion based on your feet, running habits, etc.  

From what I hear those shoes require a transition period because you pretty much need to re-train yourself to run in them.  They most certainly are NOT for everyone, so keep that in mind when you investigate further.  
  • I echo what others say about going to a local running store and talking to sales reps who are knowledgeable about running. Zero drop shoes are dangerous if not researched and entered into with some degree of caution.

As someone who rotates between "traditional" trainers (Mizuno Wave Precisions, with a 12 mm drop) and more "minimal" shoes (Saucony Kinvara and Brooks PureFlow, both 4 mm drop), I can tell you that it is important to research your shoes and understand how they work. I know a 12 mm drop doesn't sound like much, but going from that to 4 mm is a HUGE difference, and 4 to 0, even more so. There is a lot of potential for calf and achilles injuries in Vibrams if you don't properly strengthen and take care of your muscles, particularly in your lower leg.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_vibram-shoes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:21070284-d53f-4f32-9e67-67b42cc1448aPost:30a66d7f-6bc5-4240-ba6d-05000b3e89a6">Re: vibram shoes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: vibram shoes : So I know that you qualified this with we're not meant to run on concrete, but we're also no longer meant to run barefoot.  That's evolution, folks.  Not even evolution, but we're not raised walking and running around barefoot for our entire lives anymore.  Most people hear the "we're meant to run barefoot!!!!!!!" argument and think they can go out and run barefoot as much as they want, as long as they don't do it on concrete, and then they're really sorry when they get injured.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>hmm... There are a couple schools of thought on that. Many say that our arches suggest we haven't "evolved" out of running 100%...  People that are "flat footed" demonstrated signs of higher evolution in this case (obviously this is a veeeerrry out there study/debate.. and I have little to no stance on the topic because there isn't a LOT of research done on it). </div><div>We were meant to be sprinters to escape danger and catch food. We were NOT meant to run for 26 miles as enjoyment. That doesn't mean we still don't do it. </div><div>But we all have things that we like (hell, we weren't MEANT to live in a house, but I'm certainly not going to go back to caveman days  :P )</div><div>People that do things in excess because it was meant to be good are undoubtably going to hurt  themselves (regarding your comment about people that claim they can run as far as they want as long as it's not on concrete etc). Hell vegetables are GREAT for you, however a vegetable-only diet would not go over well. </div><div>It's a happy medium... That's why I don't run, personally. I have a bad knee and a bad back and I don't find it necessary. I do love my vibrams, though. They work great for me and my exercise. They allow me more control on more difficult hikes and a deeper work out at the gym (especially in the ankles.. They have really helped strengthen my ankles).</div><div>But I don't think they are for everyone. It took me a LONG time to finally decide on a pair because I wanted to make the right decision for my bod. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_vibram-shoes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:21070284-d53f-4f32-9e67-67b42cc1448aPost:36a24b5d-acad-4074-bab9-1c40718a25a0">Re: vibram shoes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good to know! Do your friends use them for cross training, running, or both?
    Posted by pxbride13[/QUOTE]

<div>My friends just use them as normal every day walking shoes. They love them though, but I can't critique for a runner. If I get a pair it would be mostly for gym workouts (ellptical, biking, weights), so I really can't comment on anything relating to running in them.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_vibram-shoes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:21070284-d53f-4f32-9e67-67b42cc1448aPost:5ff6ddba-ba97-419c-8354-3fe8fecd3a04">Re: vibram shoes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: vibram shoes : hmm... There are a couple schools of thought on that. Many say that our arches suggest we haven't "evolved" out of running 100%...  People that are "flat footed" demonstrated signs of higher evolution in this case (obviously this is a veeeerrry out there study/debate.. and I have little to no stance on the topic because there isn't a LOT of research done on it).  We were meant to be sprinters to escape danger and catch food.<strong> We were NOT meant to run for 26 miles as enjoyment. That doesn't mean we still don't do it.</strong>  But we all have things that we like (hell, we weren't MEANT to live in a house, but I'm certainly not going to go back to caveman days  :P ) People that do things in excess because it was meant to be good are undoubtably going to hurt  themselves (regarding your comment about people that claim they can run as far as they want as long as it's not on concrete etc). Hell vegetables are GREAT for you, however a vegetable-only diet would not go over well.  It's a happy medium... That's why I don't run, personally. I have a bad knee and a bad back and I don't find it necessary. I do love my vibrams, though. They work great for me and my exercise. They allow me more control on more difficult hikes and a deeper work out at the gym (especially in the ankles.. They have really helped strengthen my ankles). But I don't think they are for everyone. It took me a LONG time to finally decide on a pair because I wanted to make the right decision for my bod. 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

Re: the bolded... but it's not GOOD for you.  Running marathons is hard as shiit on your body.  So yes, people still do it and love it.  But IMO that's not a good argument for Vibrams.  But in any case, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

However, I find it fascinating that you hike in them.  I feel like the soles of my feet would turn black and blue and fall off (ok, not really fall off, but you know what i mean), and I'd break my ankles.  This isn't a Vibrams counterargument or a put down of you, I'm just fascinated, and I guess slightly impressed because I'm far too clumsy to ever even consider that.

• edited March 2012
    I wear vibrams for weight lifting and walking (and hiking when I get around to it). I really like them. I grew up in Florida and therefore spend very little time during my formative years wearing "real shoes" so I think that made it easier for me to get used to them. Personally I think they are much more comfortable than other athletic shoes. 

I also have a pair of Merrel Pure Glove mary janes that I wear on my commute and to run errands. They are also super comfortable but I don't know that I would pick them for working out. 

I don't run though so I have no imput from that perspective. 
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_vibram-shoes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:21070284-d53f-4f32-9e67-67b42cc1448aPost:8fa075fb-d314-42d1-8b5f-fc70c6ede30b">Re: vibram shoes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: vibram shoes : Re: the bolded... but it's not GOOD for you.  Running marathons is hard as shiit on your body.  So yes, people still do it and love it.  But IMO that's not a good argument for Vibrams.  But in any case, we'll just have to agree to disagree. However, I find it fascinating that you hike in them.  I feel like the soles of my feet would turn black and blue and fall off (ok, not really fall off, but you know what i mean), and I'd break my ankles.  This isn't a Vibrams counterargument or a put down of you, I'm just fascinated, and I guess slightly impressed because I'm far too clumsy to ever even consider that.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>what?! Lol I'M AGREEING WITH YOU. Not disagreeing. I think running marathons is awful awful awful for your body.. and would be horrible for your body in vibrams!!! A big reason I don't run in them... or.. run at all for that matter lol</div><div>
    </div><div>As far as hiking goes.. yeah. I love to hike in them. :o) But I like to have complete control over my body and I think that's why. You would think that your feet would turn "black and blue" as you put it, but there is a surprising amount of cushion in those things. I could never backpack in them, though... that would definitely be horrendous! </div><div>That's another reason I stress to people how important it is to do the research and get the right pair for what you do. Mine are the Treks, which have a MUCH thicker bottom to protect my feet for hiking (although I wear them at the gym as well) </div><div>
    </div><div>(as far as the clumsy thing goes, I do a lot of exercises to build up the support/strength of my ankles. Have you ever stood on the bosu ball? I  just stand on it with one leg and balance for a minute.. then switch.. and repeat a couple more times. As small of an exercise as that is, it has given me enormous amounts of balance and ankle strength. Of course things like yoga and whatnot help.. but that's a go-to hiker's/backpacker's exercise for building up those small muscles we never knew we had. :P ) </div><div>
    </div>
  • Ha, well then I guess I can't read ;)  Sorry!

My hiking boots have Vibram outsoles, but they're definitely good old regular hiking boots.  I love my hiking boots, so so so much. 

And my ankles aren't really the problem.  I've always had pretty strong and flexible ankles, but damn it if I don't just walk into things and trip over my toes and then bend things weird on the way down.  I've never actually sprained or broken an ankle (knock on wood) even though I've turned both of them pretty damn good on far more than one occasion.  Granted, it probably wouldn't hurt me to strengthen them even more!

• haha yeah.. my backpacking boots are monsters. We carry so much weight so I have to have a lot of support, and definitely understand running into stuff. Most of the hiking trails in my area are pretty clear paths or spread out trees so I don't have that issue as much. Rugged terrain hiking I probably wouldn't wear the vibrams. 
    My ankles are pretty strong because of the work I put into them, but I have a crap knee so I feel you on going down hill part. Last summer I pulled the muscle on the instead of my left knee and it STILL bothers me.. *le sigh* 

I think my biggest concern with the Vibrams is that it's now because this "trend"  so everyone thinks they are for them and are supercoolawesome and they must have them.. Then you end up with a bunch of people with injuries or just.. wearing them to wear them. Kinda like yoga pants. :P I love my yoga pants...... 
  • Yoga pants are the bomb.

Yeah, we have sandstone and limestone bluffs, and it's rocky, root-y, and pretty unstable. 

I'm seeing you're in the Seattle area.  We spent some time there on our HM.  I loved it there.  We hope to move out to the Vancouver (WA) area at some point.

• Oh yeah.. I don't think I would rough that kind of terrain in the vibrams! I would definitely just wear my good old hiking boots :) 

You did?! Where did you stay? Seattle or out on the Islands, or? I love it here.. It's such a wonderful place. Finishing up my degree here and we will move in a little less than a year since the husband is military... It'll be hard to say goodbye to such an outdoorsy state! 
  • These are fun and different if you are just working out in them and walking,  ( I actually just weight train in my socks)  but for running,  just be careful.

Studies show that those running in shoes that allow for more "natural" movement,  like the vibrams and many of the new "minimalist"  shoes, have a lower incidence of overuse injuries.....BUT...

If you start wearing these and runningthe same milage that you've been doing,  you are more likely to get an overuse injury,  ie,  shin splints, or stress fractures of the foot bones and shin.  

SO,  ease into them,  and only use them for 10% of your total weekly milage,  increasing each week.  You need to get used to them,  and so does your foot.

Hope that helps a bit.

Greg
  • J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to Re:vibram shoes:[QUOTE]Oh yeah.. I don't think I would rough that kind of terrain in the vibrams! I would definitely just wear my good old hiking boots :nbsp;You did?! Where did you stay? Seattle or out on the Islands, or? I love it here.. It's such a wonderful place. Finishing up my degree here and we will move in a little less than a year since the husband is military... It'll be hard to say goodbye to such an outdoorsy state!nbsp; Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

We spent two days in Seattle. Then we went down to Olympia well, actually Lacey, and hiked at Mt Rainier and in Olympic. Then we moved on south : It was awesome. We road tripped down to San Francisco and stopped and hiked at a bunch of places. I want to go back to Seattle though, we didn't spend nearly enough time there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards