Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Bridesmaid dress advice

Since I refuse to go on international boards and I value the opinion of you ladies x1,000 I am just going to ask here: 

I just found out a bridesmaid is pregnant. Let it be known that I am incredibly happy for her and this isn't one of those "I need a replacement BM" posts. My issue lies in the fact that we just ordered bridesmaid dresses last week (pregnancy wasn't expected- she isn't married and this is #3). I felt like a huge b!*ch for ordering my bridesmaids to go buy their dresses last week (they went on sale and ran out of smaller sizes online). Now I am at a loss for what to do. These were from BCBG so not exactly maternity appropriate.

So my ? is: Do I have her be the only bridesmaid in a different dress (whether color and/or style) or do I change the dress that everyone wears?

For reference, here is the dress my BMs are wearing: 

TIA!

ETA: BM will be about 22-23 weeks along at time of wedding.

Re: Bridesmaid dress advice

• Is there any way she can call ASAP and change to a larger size? When it gets a lot closer to the day she can have it altered to fit? Do you think the dress will look awkward on a pregnant belly?
    I kind of have the opposite problem in that my bridesmaid is over 8 months pregnant now, and we just ordered dresses. She will be four months out of pregnancy at the wedding, and has NO idea what her body is going to do (baby #1). She ordered 2 up from what she normally would have ordered and is just going to get it taken in as needed. She has only gained 20 pounds so far but she is being extra careful.
  • Thanks CW! I am glad I am not the only one with changing body issues :) 

The problem lies with where the waistband falls. She has a shorter torso, so the band (what I can calculate) will hit lower on her belly. I thought about maybe taking the straps in the back up so that it pulls the waist band up higher, but I am just afraid with how high it will make the front hemline. I wish there was a way to calculate (or see into the future!) lol

I think a large size is definitely worth consideration. I am just afraid about unpredictability with size and time needed for alterations. 
  • Yeah and I would almost worry about the waistband sitting high on her bump and possibly raising up in front. Of course, I have no idea how big a 22 week bump is...
    Does she have any opinions? Surely since she's been pregnant before she may have an idea of how her body will grow?
    I didn't think 22 weeks was big but then I googled "22 week baby bump" and turns out I am incorrect.
  • How long until the wedding? And can you return the dresses and buy other ones? Since it's BCBG I'm assuming you can do free returns, no problem, since they are not made to order. If  you can you might just need to pick new dresses.

Don't stress about it, if you can help yourself. These things happen and you just have to roll with it and come up with a Plan B. I'm sure your girls will understand. Then maybe she can get something that hits above the waistband and flows from there. Can they get different dresses in the same color?
  • Okay, so I just did a Google search to see what a typical 23-weeks-pregnant belly looks like.  Do yourselves a favor and never do that search.

That said, it looks like there will be definite belly, but I don't think it will make that dress look awful.  I like Carrie's advice of calling and getting a different size right away.

If that doesn't work, I would let her pick a similar dress (same neckline, same hem, but different waist) that flatters her bump a little more.  Where that waistband is looks like it just won't be too cute on a pregnant girl, unfortunately. =(  And then yeah, have her order it at least one size up and then alter the heck out of that thing.  We had to pin my poor pregnant bridesmaid into hers, but she looked great.
    Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_bridesmaid-dress-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:24f8b804-cc46-4cfc-9e8e-c19072b3b709Post:681213c1-0564-46d0-9bfc-268e8731c531">Re: Bridesmaid dress advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, so I just did a Google search to see what a typical 23-weeks-pregnant belly looks like.  <strong>Do yourselves a favor and never do that search.</strong> That said, it looks like there will be definite belly, but I don't think it will make that dress look awful.  I like Carrie's advice of calling and getting a different size right away. If that doesn't work, I would let her pick a similar dress (same neckline, same hem, but different waist) that flatters her bump a little more.  Where that waistband is looks like it just won't be too cute on a pregnant girl, unfortunately. =(  And then yeah, have her order it at least one size up and then alter the heck out of that thing.  We had to pin my poor pregnant bridesmaid into hers, but she looked great.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

I feel very guilty that I did not offer that advice. Because I did the same search. I would rather actually get pregnant and wait 23 weeks to look at myself than ever do that search again.
  • I am glad I won't sound rude for asking her to stick with the same dress and a larger size. 

For the record Amanda, I loved your BM dresses. 

I emailed BM and asked what she thinks. I emphasized the comfort part- I don't want her feeling uncomfortable at all in whatever she ends up wearing. I guess I will see :) Thanks for your awesome suggestions ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards