Options

want to lose 40 lbs by June 2012

tips? support??

Thanks

Re: want to lose 40 lbs by June 2012

• Options
    What's your game plan?

What are eating/caloric levels?
    What type/amount of exercise are you planning on adding?
    is 40lbs realistic for your body size?

My best advice is that water is your friend and track your food intake.  Sites like SparkPeople are great for making sure you're not overeating, undereating, or eating a severely unbalanced diet.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    I know that many people may go against this, but cleanses really help me get motivated. If you want some good ones, let me know. I usually loose 5-8 lbs and then it kickstarts my "clean eating." After the hardwork of a cleanse, I don't want to mess it up by eating badly. But, again, I know that a lot of people are against it. I do it quarterly, and it works for me!

Once you start the "clean eating" the weight literally falls off. Your skin will glow, and you will feel AMAZING. I know I'm being pretty vague, but I didn't want to writie a novel if this is not something you are interested in!
  • Options
    40lbs by June is quite a task. Not sure if you've done the math on that yet but that's 2lbs a week EVERY week until June if you start January 1st. You need to take into consideration plateaus, slip ups etc. How tall are you and what do you weigh currently? 40lbs for someone 150lbs and 5ft will be a lot harder to lose than someone who's 5ft 200lbs...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_everyone-their-venue-already?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:231e5b95-a143-46cd-8c5c-14a90fe40da4Post:4e1c4762-c79a-415a-aa5b-dfb30d3604f8">Re: want to lose 40 lbs by June 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know that many people may go against this, but cleanses really help me get motivated. If you want some good ones, let me know. I usually <strong>loose </strong>5-8 lbs and then it kickstarts my "clean eating." After the hardwork of a cleanse, I don't want to mess it up by eating badly. But, again, I know that a lot of people are against it. I do it quarterly, and it works for me! Once you start the "clean eating" the weight literally falls off. Your skin will glow, and you will feel AMAZING. I know I'm being pretty vague, but I didn't want to writie a novel if this is not something you are interested in!
    Posted by acless[/QUOTE]

Clean eating IS a cleanse.  Many cleanses can be downright dangerous and should never be done without consulting your physician first. There is no need to do any kind of drastic regiment.  The human body is designed to flush out any toxins and gunk.  The only things you can do to help it be efficient is to not continue to eat crappy foods.

Also.  It's "lose".  You lose weight and then your pants fit loose.
  • Options
    ILoveToRobotILoveToRobot member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_everyone-their-venue-already?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:231e5b95-a143-46cd-8c5c-14a90fe40da4Post:edc7eae2-b184-4470-a997-3927dc773f43">Re: want to lose 40 lbs by June 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: want to lose 40 lbs by June 2012 : Clean eating IS a cleanse.  <strong>Many cleanses can be downright dangerous and should never be done without consulting your physician first. There is no need to do any kind of drastic regiment.  The human body is designed to flush out any toxins and gunk</strong>.  The only things you can do to help it be efficient is to not continue to eat crappy foods. Also.  It's "lose".  You lose weight and then your pants fit loose.
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

Yes many are dangerous but I think there's some good merit to some as well. Since the beginning of recorded history cleanses and fasts have been practiced to detoxify the body. Occasionally I'll do a cleanse but I like to do more herbal stuff not weird concoctions. The human body is designed to rid itself of toxins but I believe we can aid in it occasionally as well.

Edit - Also I don't believe cleanses are good for weight loss. People may experience water weight loss but it's not necissarily going to get rid of fat. If it helps to jump start your plan I don't see a problem going about a cleanse in a safe way.
  • Options
    40 lbs is a lot to lose on anybody, but it's possible.
    Remember, the quicker you lose the weight, the quicker you can gain it back.
    2 lbs a week is the most you want to lose after the initial massive weight loss. Losing too much too quickly can make you sick.
    Don't stop eating to lose weight. You'll gain it back as soon as you start eating again. Cardio and weights are the way to go. I love kickboxing and yoga personally.
    Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. What you eat is very important. Salads and snacks are excellent. Drink water, eat fruits and vegetables, stick to chicken and fish over steaks and make sure to take a break every now and then.
    Stay consistent!
    Maybe try a calorie counter. With my size, I have to count calories to keep from gaining weight, especially as a college student.
    And, most of all, see a doctor about a weight loss program. If you don't want to see a doctor, at least see a personal trainer to help with your training. A personal trainer will NOT replace a doctor, though.
    Being healthy is far better than just being skinny (skinny is not always equal to healthy).
    Everybody has different rules on weighing themselves. I like the once a week rule on the same scale. I'm more apt to trust how I fit my clothes, though, than weight loss. For me, it isn't as much about weight as it is how I fit my clothes. For you, it may be different. It's that way for me because, like I said, I'm short and I'm broad, I looked sickly at 110, but I feel great at 115.

Good luck and stay healthy!
    Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist, While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely, The Opportunist
  • Options
    I love using MyFitnessPal on my smart phone. It helps me keep track of calories I'm consuming through food, and calories I'm burning through exercise. It also keeps track of nutrition!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_everyone-their-venue-already?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:231e5b95-a143-46cd-8c5c-14a90fe40da4Post:97aa9a33-0dd3-4e2c-bdcd-666259dce9b6">Re: want to lose 40 lbs by June 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: want to lose 40 lbs by June 2012 : Yes many are dangerous but I think there's some good merit to some as well. Since the beginning of recorded history cleanses and fasts have been practiced to detoxify the body. Occasionally I'll do a cleanse but I like to do more herbal stuff not weird concoctions. The human body is designed to rid itself of toxins but I believe we can aid in it occasionally as well. Edit - Also I don't believe cleanses are good for weight loss. People may experience water weight loss but it's not necissarily going to get rid of fat. If it helps to jump start your plan I don't see a problem going about a cleanse in a safe way.
    Posted by ILoveToRobot[/QUOTE]

<div>Just don't put crap into your body and you won't have to do anything dumb to get it out.</div>
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Me too. I promised myself I was going into my 30s better than I was going into my 20s. Which is difficuilt, because at that time I was in the military. I'm training for a triathlon this year. I do so much better when I focus on fitness and nutrition to aid my fitness than trying to lose weight with no particular goal than a number (which doesn't matter much anyways since the body is both fat and muscle). It's so much easier to run 10 miles without the extra lbs I'm carrying around!

Edit: Water, food tracking, and workout tracking, definitly suggest SparkPeople (I use it on my phone, so every bite gets counted). I started this a few weeks ago.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    Great idea with the myfitnesspal! I love it and just downloaded it!  Great great idea!  Thanks!!!! 
  • Options
    I know it is a hard task but not impossible.
    I am about 5'4 and 166 lbs, moderately active. 
    I plan on changing my diet, ie food intake and excercising at least 4-5 a week.
    My fiance also wants to lose weight, so i think that will help with healthier food choices
  • Options
    I definately want to be healthier overall. 
    This weight was gained over a period of 10 years, so I know that it can be hard but I think I am ready for the challenge
  • Options
    I just downloaded both those apps and they seem very helpful..
    I just need discipline and the occasional vent :-)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_everyone-their-venue-already?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:231e5b95-a143-46cd-8c5c-14a90fe40da4Post:b5c592bb-57ed-4d0b-89d4-dcd67eec9eaf">Re: want to lose 40 lbs by June 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: want to lose 40 lbs by June 2012 : Just don't put crap into your body and you won't have to do anything dumb to get it out.
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

Easier said than done. It amuses me that you speak in such a belittling tone.
    Obviously putting "crap" in the body to begin with is why many people are on a constant journey to lose weight or get in shape, which is why they post in these forums... for support. Sure your statement is pretty obvious, but its also obvious from the op that the damage is already done so whats the harm in going on a super clean cleanse to restore the body of what its been lacking? (Nothing.) Even if it is just a mental thing to see the weight drop a couple pounds and its all water or waste.. at least it can be a motivator to someone who may need all the motivation they can get.
  • Options
    I use myfitnesspal as a food diary too. It's a big help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards