Getting in Shape

Weight watchers vs My Fitness Pal

I am getting Down to the wire now with 3 months left to go and I gained 2 pounds back and fell off the eating healthy and working out wagon due to long hours at work for 2weeks straight. I am starting to get discouraged and desperate all over again.
My question is, if I want to lose 10-15 pounds in 3months do you recommend paying for weight watchers or continuing with My Fitness Pal. Budgets are kinda tight at the moment and I'm not sure if it is better to pay for ww or not. Any suggestions?

Re: Weight watchers vs My Fitness Pal

• Either can work for you, provided that you do your part. Both are tools, neither will be "magic" or anything like that. If you are tight on budget, I'd recommend MFP. I use MFP and I love it - but I am committed and tracking calories is a part of my life and will be for the forseeable future. It works for me.

Bottom line is that if you're not 100% committed, you won't get the results you want with either WW or MFP. But you can do it if you set your mind to it, good luck! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto what sarah said.  I really like mfp, but it's pretty easy for me to keep things under control most of the time, and hold myself responsible for any balances I need to fix (less carbs, more protein, etc.)

If you think you're going to have a hard time planning your own meals and holding yourself accountable, than ww is probably the way to go.  Otherwise, save the bucks and come join us on mfp (lots of us our friends on there) and on the accountability thread.
    Anniversary
  • I agree with the ladies... MFP is the way to go for a 10-15lb weight loss. I've lost 16.5lbs and I started with WW and had little success. Its tough to track points, food, exercise, etc. With my fitness pal, its on your phone or online, you enter the food you eat and virtually all foods are in there in some form, it shows your calories that you have available still... I've just found it much easier to use.

It takes a true dedication and lifestyle change though, eating healthy and exercising have worked for all of us but you have to truly want to change your current habits.
  • I found I was a little more accountable with WW because I'm cheap and I didn't want it to be a waste of money, I guess.  I don't know why, really, I just had less trouble "falling off the wagon" with WW.  But I like MFP too, it all depends on your level of self-control.  GL!
    127image 88image 39imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Personally, weight watchers works better for me than my fitness pal. I tried my fitness pal for around three months at the end of last year. I would lose about 5 pounds, stall out, and never lose any more. Since starting weight watchers in February, I've lost 20 pounds. I agree with the previous post about feeling more accountable with weight watchers.

As for having to pay, it's very easy to look around the internet and figure out how to do the program on your own. I would recommend possibly doing the three month period where you pay, learning the program, then going on your own after that time. I haven't paid a CENT to WW this time around :)

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

261 Invited image
    174 Want to Party image
    56 Are Party Poopers image
    31 Can't find the mailbox image
  • I agree with Sara.  Both  will work but you need to be dedicated for three months.  If it means that much to you, it won't matter which one you use.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • I have used both.  All in all, it's about what works for you, but I would recommend WW.  You have to be dedicated to anything you do, as the other gals have said, but my personal success goes something like thids:

In the past I did the old WW system and lost 35 lbs (only to gain it back once I moved in with the beau, sigh).  I tried MFP, which don't get me wrong is a very nice system- it just gets too complicated after awhile.  It's almost easier to just write down and track your caloric intake with a pen and paper.  I'm doing WW again, have been for about two months now, and I'm down 25 lbs.  With a little over a month before the wedding, I'm hoping to be back down to my "fighting weight" over the course of these next few weeks.

If WW is too expensive, then do it for free!  On your phone, go to your app market.  Look up "WW Point Calculator".  It's the old version of the point scale which I personally prefer, as it's a lot less complicated than trying to figure out calories, fat, fiber, carbs and all that other stuff the new system wants you to use.  Having the app makes it easier to commit to doing WW, and takes a lot of the guess work out of calculations.  II use it at the grocery store when I'm shopping for food to make decisions about purchases and whether or not they're in my point range.  It also tracks your points for you as well.  If you need more information about the old system (or heck, even the new one- the fiance is doing it!), feel free to message me and I can get you the information you need.

But most importantly- good luck!  Stick with whatever you decide to do, the results will be your reward!  :)
  • Both are excellen tools- can you use both?  Getting into the shape you want is such HARD work, but have you ever heard of seeing results in 45 minutes?  I WISH this company was around when I got married (back flub, armit flub, everwhere flub).....we offer a variety of products but out most popular product is the ultimate boday applicator which will tighten and tone in 45 minutes and continue to work over 72 hours!  This is perfect for you since you are already doing all the right things.  Here is my website: <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.karajennings.myitworks.com./">www.karajennings.myitworks.com.</a> Good luck and feel free to contact me with any questions!!!!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_weight-watchers-vs-my-fitness-pal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:23d513bf-2191-441c-b27e-013329b5776aPost:c86b0992-ab91-4436-9bcd-51ad1ee6c519">Weight watchers vs My Fitness Pal</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am getting Down to the wire now with 3 months left to go and I gained 2 pounds back and fell off the eating healthy and working out wagon due to long hours at work for 2weeks straight. I am starting to get discouraged and desperate all over again. My question is, if I want to lose 10-15 pounds in 3months do you recommend paying for weight watchers or continuing with My Fitness Pal. Budgets are kinda tight at the moment and I'm not sure if it is better to pay for ww or not. Any suggestions?
    Posted by catsai2386[/QUOTE]
    Let me help you get your sexy back...and get healthy while doing it! www.karajennings.myitworks.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards