Getting in Shape
Options

Lifting Weights

Hi all I would love yalls opinion on this subject. I have heard that if you have quite a bit of weight to loss lets say 30 plus pounds that you need to do a lot of cardio and not concerned yourself with weigt lifing since you have a layer of fat that can only be worked off through cardio. What are your thoughts should I be waiting to loss the 30 pounds before I start lifting or do them at the same time ?

Re: Lifting Weights

• Options

Actually, lifting weights would probably help you out even more because having active muscle (muscle that has to repair itself after a workout) will burn a lot of calories. I mean, you probably won't see a lot of definition right away but it is actually really helpful to lift weights and do cardio. I hope this makes sense!

• Options
    A girl Raynes on here is really informative on weights. 

Anyway, you need to do weights to make your cardio workout more intense and effective and allows you to burn more calories, even after you stop doing the work out, you will still be burning calories. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    there really isnt any after burn of calories, studies have shown that really doesnt exist, however weight lifting will boost your metabolism, and when you do lose the weight you will have definition, so there is no reason to wait to start lifting.
  • Options
    Whoever told you that is a crazy person and hasn't ready anything about fitness in the last 10 years.

Fat loss is achieved much faster through strength/resistance training than through cardio of any kind.  Part of it is because with strength training you are building muscle, and muscle is metabolically active tissue.  Unlike fat, muscle will burn calories while at rest.  The more muscle you have, the higher your resting metabolic rate, the more calories you burn every day.  The other part is called EPOC or Excessive Post exercise Oxygen Consumption.  It's been shown that when two groups of people burn the same number of calories in a workout, but one group did normal cardio and one group did strength training, the strength training group burned an additional 600 calories in the 36 hours following the exercise, whereas the cardio group only burned an additional 50.

Read this article (link).  It explains the hierarchy of fat loss.  And what you're heard is completely backwards.

Although in the end, you can never out train a bad diet.  Where fatloss is concerned, diet can make up to as much as 80% of the effort.  If you're eating crap, you can't lose fat.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_lifting-weights?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:2592b15f-e04b-4a0f-a5b1-c7b24f777058Post:e596a775-b41f-4a7f-a2f9-1ffb8dc19271">Re: Lifting Weights</a>:
    [QUOTE]there really isnt any after burn of calories, <strong>studies have shown that really doesnt exist, </strong>however weight lifting will boost your metabolism, and when you do lose the weight you will have definition, so there is no reason to wait to start lifting.
    Posted by xctennis[/QUOTE]

That is completely untrue.  Read the link I posted above.  Or google EPOC.
  • Options
    Thanks eveyone I will start lifting the next time I workout
  • Options
    Yeah.  Even when I am doing a video like a cardio video, I have the weights in my hands, even if the people in the video don't.  It makes the work out harder and you feel it more. 
  • Options
    I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I learned some things I didn't know before when it comes to lifting weights after a training session earlier this year.

Either do 3 sets of 10 reps or 2 sets of 15 reps, resting between each set. I usually take a swig out of my water bottle after every set. And lift slowly because it works your muscles more. The weight should be enough so that your very last rep is pretty tough and you're ready to put it down.

Hope that helps anyone :)
    ~Weeds are just flowers without an invitation.~
  • Options

I can say that weight lifting has really helped me and my sweetie out.  We just got a gym membership two weeks ago - I have lost 12 lbs (granted I have it to lose lol still weigh 278.4 lbs (Down 75.4 though WOOHOO!!!!)

Anyways - Scott and I do a "Muscle group" Once a week.  Mondays - Arms, Wednesdays - Legs, Fridays - Core.  My body feels the fatigue much longer, but at the same time feels spectacular, plus I can already see the way the toning muscles are helping me shape up. 

• Options

I'm with raynes... lifting weights has done wonders for my body.  I lift between 10 and 16 pounds and I don't look big or muscley at all. 

• Options
    Actually I do a lot or carido, but I always manage in some weight lifting. I'd say do both.
  • Options
    If anyone still reads this, do you know what size weights is safe for a newly pregnant person.

My literature from my doctor is very vague and says I can basically do anything I did pre-pregnancy just no sports that involve a possible direct hit like tennis, baseball etc.

I only own 5 lbs weights anyway, so I'm sure I can do that.

After the baby is born, I might invest in some heavier weights.. seeing that others are lifting 10 lbs and such. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_lifting-weights?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:2592b15f-e04b-4a0f-a5b1-c7b24f777058Post:0b0c7fcf-e34b-44a8-8485-cd42521d1894">Re: Lifting Weights</a>:
    [QUOTE]If anyone still reads this, do you know what size weights is safe for a newly pregnant person. My literature from my doctor is very vague and says I can basically do anything I did pre-pregnancy just no sports that involve a possible direct hit like tennis, baseball etc. I only own 5 lbs weights anyway, so I'm sure I can do that. After the baby is born, I might invest in some heavier weights.. seeing that others are lifting 10 lbs and such. 
    Posted by PeonyPrincesskdd[/QUOTE]

From what I've read, anything you were doing before is pretty much ok, as long as your doctor ok's it.

Here's the link to one of my favourite site's sections on Pregnancy and Postpartum stuff. 
    <a href="http://www.stumptuous.com/category/women_stuff/pregnancy_postpartum" rel="nofollow">http://www.stumptuous.com/category/women_stuff/pregnancy_postpartum</a>
    And this blog has some great tips and info on nutrition during pregnancy too.
    <a href="http://cassandraforsythe.com/blog/Pregnancy+Nutrition+Guidelines" target="_blank">http://cassandraforsythe.com/blog/Pregnancy+Nutrition+Guidelines</a>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards