Getting in Shape
Options

Need Motivation...

Hi Ladies,

OK, so I am having trouble getting motivated to get back in shape. For the past month or so I have been saying to myself "gotta work out today," and have been putting it off. I refuse to go dress shopping until I lose some weight and tone up. I just don't know how to get myself motivated. How did you ladies get motivated? and what kind of workouts are you doing? I was planning on doing slim in 6 or
p90x.

Re: Need Motivation...

• Options
    I have found that doing a workout that I love is perfect motivation for me. That way, I enjoy exercising, it's something that I look forward to doing every day. I have my days where I don't feel like working out, but I do it anyways because of the natural high I get from it. I feel so good after I complete a workout. Slim in 6 and P90X are both excellant workouts. I have done a few workouts with Slim in 6, but found that it wasn't for me. I did 90 days with P90X and that's when I really made working out a habit. I am now onto a program called TurboFire, and I absolutely love it.

It may take some experimenting to find the workout made for YOU, but it's out there. If this will help, try writing down your goals. Set small goals that can be reached in a couple weeks time, such as work out 3x a week or lose 3 pounds this week. But also set long term goals, for months down the road. After a while go back and make changes to your goals if neccesary.

I know I'm probably not much help, but you've just got to find that little bit of motivation inside you and press play!
  • Options
    Much the same as acogswell, I find the best motivation is a good workout.  After I run, I feel so good and proud of myself for finishing my workout.  My appetite is lower and I crave healthier foods.

I'm actually considering upping my workouts from 3x a week to 4 or 5 because on days that I don't work out, I lose the healthy, fit feeling.

Just go the first day.  Force yourself... you'll feel awesome after it's over and want to do it again.
  • Options
    Do you have any friends looking to get back in shape? Try setting something up with them. It is much harder to back out of something when there is another person involved. Maybe start training for a mini triathlon or something.

Also, do you like any sports or anything? I mean, I like the feeling I get after I've done a really hard workout in the gym, but I always LOVE playing tennis, going for a hike,  playing a round of golf, etc. I don't even think of it as exercise time because it is really like play time for me.

Any activity is better than no activity so just pick something you like to do!
  • Options
    I had the same problem you did. I used to be in great shape but slowly I slipped into making the "I'm too busy" or "too tired" excuses. What helped get me motivated was creating a countdown for my wedding day & putting up pictures of my goal next to it (jillian- haha I know tough goal but it keeps me motivated). That way I stay motivated for the "big day" & have an idea of what I'm looking to achieve.

I went with P90X- classic. I am having so much fun and look forward to every workout. Since you were in shape before once you feel that initial "good sore" feeling & see yourself improving you'll get back on track in no time.

Good Luck & most important Have Fun!
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    I actually use workouts from P90X and Slim in 6.  I pick and choose the ones I like the most, and the ones that work out my problem areas.  I think Slim in 6 is great for thighs, butt, and waist (I like the "extra" workouts Cardio Core and Thin Thighs Guaranteed).  P90X is great overall body workout for sure, but I usually stick to Kenpo, Cardio, Plyo, Legs and Back, Shoulders/Bi/Tri.  I will say after doing both workout programs, I do not think Slim would be good on its own.  It would just be too repetitive and not enough variety, which is what P90X is all about. 
    I get motivated by looking in the mirror and knowing that I would be so much happier if I just toned up and lost about 10lbs lol.  Also by thinking about all the honeymoon in pics in bikinis that will happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards