Getting in Shape
Options

HELP! weight loss plateau...

Hello everyone!

I am new to the getting in shape board...but I have been getting in shape for my wedding (July 23, 2011) for the past 5 months now!  I've lost 20 pounds so far :-) However, for the past few weeks I have plateaued...  I am 5'2" and 147 pounds.  I would LOVE to get to 130.

To lose the first 20 pounds I did cardio/strength training 4 to 5 times a week for about an hour, and watched what I ate.  I still watch what I eat and for the past couple of weeks have increased my workouts to at least an hour and half of cardio/strength 4-5 times a week.  I am definitely increasing muscle tone in my arm, back, and legs but why am I not losing weight anymore?  And I would really like to target my belly fat... Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do to continue losing weight?  Thanks so much!

Re: HELP! weight loss plateau...

• Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I watch what I eat, I watch that chocolate bar allll the way to my mouth. ;)

Are you tracking your calories?

If you are eating about the same amount as you were before, but increased the amount of exercise, it's entirely possible that you're eating too little.  If you net fewer than 1200 calories in a day your body really wants to hold on to the fat and slows down your metabolism.

That would be my first suggestion, looking at your food.

The next would be to switch up what you're doing in the gym.  Trade hour long steady state cardio session for 20 mins of HIIT, lift heavier weights, incorporate more full body, compound exercises (deadlifts, squats, etc) and just do different things.  Efficiency is your enemy when it comes to exercise.

ETA: belly fat.  There isn't any exercise you can do to reduce fat.  Exercises build muscle, eating fewer calories than you burn in a day reduces fat.  And while for the most part you can't spot reduce, there are things to be done, diet wise, that can help address belly fat.  The biggest is eating "clean".  Totally avoiding processed foods and sticking to whole, natural foods.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    beardmbeardm member
    First Comment

I would recommend taking measurements as well to track your progress. Muscle is more dense than fat so you may be gaining muscle and losing fat which may not show up on the scale but will show if you keep track of your measurements i.e. bust, waist, hips, etc.  Also, your muscles have "memory" so to keep challenging them it's important to switch up your workouts either by switching it up wtih a fun spin class or yoga or just switching up the program you've been doing on the treadmill.

• Options
    I would ask if you are tracking your calories.  I use sparkpeople.com and sometimes if you are working out alot you might not be taking in enough calories.  If you work out alot you require more calories so if you are not eating enough calories then you will not lose weight same as if you are eating too many calories.  Sparkpeople.com is free and it will give you a guide as to how many calories to take in daily based on how often you work out.

Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards