Getting in Shape
Options

Honest Question

Hi Ladies,

My name is Kitara Wilson and I am a 12-year seasoned bride. Smile

I've been reading through the posts here in the Getting In Shape forum and I want to ask a question of you, the brides. I am a wellness/fitness professional and I see that the group doesn't take kindly to vendors splattering the forum with their pitches...I get that. That's not the approach I take as I believe in developing relationships with people. So here's my question....being that I am not a bride-to-be looking to get in shape for my big day, do you prefer to hear from other bride-to-be's, or do you welcome tips and advice from someone who doesn't fit that category? I would like to share my enthusiam and experience with the group, but I want to do it in a way that is welcomed and appreciated and not annoying, spamy or salesy. 

I admit that I did reach out to one bride via PM and if that is not kosher I publically apologize, and it is also why I am coming here to get the real scoop so I can proceed accordingly.

Congrats to you all on your upcoming nuptials. I know what a fun and exciting time this is for you and I wish each and every one of you the most rewarding bridal experience ever. Happy Holidays!

In Health,
Kitara R. Wilson

Re: Honest Question

• Options
    1.  You need to remove your full name from this post.  This is a public internation board and releasing such personal information is NOT a smart idea.  Plus, it could be percieved as advertising your services to the Houston area.

2.  You will get mixed reactions to this question.  As long as you NEVER advertise YOUR services or pitch a product you probably won't be reported.

3.  Lots of the ladies on this board are no longer brides.  TK Message Boards are a place for women to support eachother from their weddings to their weight loss.  I personally started posting on Getting in Shape about 7 months before I got engaged.

4.  It doesn't help that this is your absolute first post and you are already advertising the fact that you are a fitness professional.

Good luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    Vendors are not permitted to post on the Knot message boards as reflected in the following rules you agreed to  when joining:

*Wedding professionals involved in a wedding-related enterprise cannot post any information on The Knot message boards, even if offering services free of charge.

*Any member of our community, including a bride, involved in a wedding related business must adhere to the same rules as wedding professionals and are not permitted to post on The Knot message boards.

I'm sorry, those are the rules. While I appreciate your sentiment as to just wanting to help people, as someone directly endorsing weight loss products including supplements and shakes... it is not allowed.
  • Options
    Anna, do you know when this board will be getting a mod?  (I know you're the mod for SB, so I was just wondering if you knew how long this process usually takes). 

These vendor posts have been ridiculous lately.  I can see new/first-time posters being put off by all the vendor threads and everyone just reporting the vendor in them.  I see that the original posts have been deleted, but the spam threads are still there from yesterday.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_honest-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3813c476-0f64-4493-83f8-e1a2ea7afa1aPost:e783f0a6-ed60-4d86-a444-256b95bdfe60">Re: Honest Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anna, do you know when this board will be getting a mod?  (I know you're the mod for SB, so I was just wondering if you knew how long this process usually takes).  These vendor posts have been ridiculous lately.  I can see new/first-time posters being put off by all the vendor threads and everyone just reporting the vendor in them.  I see that the original posts have been deleted, but the spam threads are still there from yesterday.
    Posted by heyjude23[/QUOTE]

They're working on it. It took a lot of time to get Emy booted since she hadn't logged on for months and now they're just setting up the mod-powers.  I volunteered since I think this board runs itself pretty well but obviously needs a full-time vendor wrangler.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_honest-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:3813c476-0f64-4493-83f8-e1a2ea7afa1aPost:73815fd1-c600-4e1a-befa-0178daba98cb">Re: Honest Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honest Question : They're working on it. It took a lot of time to get m booted since she hadn't logged on for months and now they're just setting up the mod-powers.  I volunteered since I think this board runs itself pretty well but obviously needs a full-time vendor wrangler.
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thank you for stepping up!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_honest-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3813c476-0f64-4493-83f8-e1a2ea7afa1aPost:a5193fd9-8650-4354-a412-26e0c39af607">Re: Honest Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honest Question : Awesome, thank you for stepping up!
    Posted by heyjude23[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  Truth be told, if someone didn't start cleaning up the vandors and spammers, i am going to go batty.  So I figured, it might as well be me.
  • Options
    As PP stated, the rules do state that even if services are offered for free, you can't post as a vendor. We do appreciate your intent on assisting people, but it does break the rules...
    Also I second PP in the fact that its probably a good idea to not put your full name out there for all to see :)
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I just reported you for advertising.  It's fine to join the conversation as a health/fitness enthusiast, but by putting your full name out there and describing your business in such detail, it seems to me you're (at least implicitly) soliciting business, and that makes me crazy on these boards (not just GIS, there's a vendor on my local boards who needs to be banned in a big way, except my board is so miserably slow that we don't warrant a mod).
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Thanks for the honest feedback....it was what I was looking for. Probably best if I leave the community altogether as I don't know how to help without coming across the wrong way. I don't participate in forums so I just don't quite know how to add value without it coming across the wrong way. Also didn't know it wasn't ok to post my name because people, as someone did, can look me up. 

I appreciate the feedback ladies and do sincerly wish you all the best of luck. Congrats!
  • Options
    Just sent a request to Member Services to have my account deleted. 
  • Options
    If you're looking for an online community to join, you might want to stick to the fitness sites, like sparkpeople.com or myfitnesspal.com.  As far as I know, you still can't actively advertise there, but it's not as frowned upon to be a professional service provider on those boards (at least, not on SparkPeople, I'm not as sure about the MyFitnessPal community).
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    The PM I received from you was also VERY advertisy.... you made a point of giving your website and talking about how you could help me lose weight in a 'quick and affordable way'.... the reeks of advertising... sorry, but its true!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards