Getting in Shape

Exercise Question

Alright, athletic peeps, I need some help. I used to be very athletic: swam competitively into college, did soccer and track/ field in high school. But, I have multi-joint system arthritis and have had my left hip replaced (5 years ago). FI and I love to be outdoors and enjoy lots of high-energy activities.

Recently we've been playing tennis more and more, but I get overheated so quickly that we have to stop after only playing for about 40 minutes. I love to play, and wish I could keep up with him but this overheating thing is driving me nuts! I never get this way in a pool and can swim 10,000 yds in 2 1/2 hours. So what gives?

Unfortunately, tennis is about the only dry land game I can play due to the high-impact and wear-n-tear of other sports on the hip replacement. Anyone have any tips or ideas? I hate feeling like I'm holding FI back from having a good time.
Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart

Re: Exercise Question

• What do you mean by "overheated"? 

I mean, it's summer.  It's hot.  You're going to get red, hot, and sweaty when you're working out outside.  40 minutes is a considerable amount of time to be playing tennis when it's hot; I don't consider that "getting overheated so quickly" at all.  I guess I must not be understanding you.

If you're feeling faint/dizzy/etc, you probably need to drink more water, or see a doctor.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Don't know if it will help but I had sun stroke years ago and now find myself overheating way quicker than the normal person.  To keep me going I treat the body heat before it becomes a problem.  Icy cold towels draped around my neck, extra hydration before an event, and being very careful to wear clothes that promote cooling.
  • I don't seem to sweat that much, but my face gets super red and I feel so much pressure in my head. I get dizzy and light-headed. When it happens, I sit and re-hydrate but it takes at least 30 minutes before I'm able to feel normal. I've had my thyroid tested- it's not that. My blood pressure is normal, cholesterol normal, heartbeat is healthy. I do tend towards being dehydrated, but I pay extra attention to that before, during, and after exercise that I'm not sure that's the problem either.
    Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart
  • Are you fueling properly?  Eating enough/the right kinds of calories?  Especially before playing?

Also, how much water are you truly drinking?  When it's hot and you're active, you need quite a bit more.  Do you drink much caffeine?  How about carbonated beverages?  Caffeine is a diuretic and makes dehydration easier.  Carbonated beverages interfere with your muscle efficiency and can make you need to work harder.

Play in the early morning before it gets too hot.  Or in the evening, when it starts to cool down.  If that doesn't help, it sounds like your choices are see a doctor or stop playing tennis when it's hot. 

• I honestly don't eat much. I should, but I'm rarely hungry. I tend to munch on little things throughout the day, and admittedly they're not the healthiest of foods but they're not terrible either- fruit snacks/ granola bars/ smoothies, etc. I'm a sugar junky and a carb hound, but I seem to burn through it quickly. I don't drink much pop and what I do drink is never caffinated. I don't drink coffee and I rarely drink tea. I pretty much stick to juice,water, and milk. I probably just don't drink enough in general, though. I tend to go through half a bottle of water before exercise (tennis or otherwise), and then another 2 during and afterward.

I'll try your tips of playing post sunset when it's cooled a bit, and hydrating more frequently during the day. Otherwise, FI is just gonna have to deal with me taking lots of 15min breaks during tennis play.
  • I'd highly recommend tracking your caloric intake for about a week.  If you're not eating enough or you're eating a bunch of crap, that could absolutely be a huge part of the problem.

• I know I get really red in the face if I'm not hydrated enough when I workout. Also, the light headedness and not sweating a lot even though you feel hot sounds like an electolyte issue to me. I know when my blood sugar drops during a workout those are similar to how I begin to feel. I think you need to reassess your eating and hydrating habits and start make adjustments. Then, if your not seeing any changes I'd say see a doctor. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards