Getting in Shape

Yeup.....here I am (Long, sorry)

Hello ladies. I have been going back and forth about posting here. I haven't even lurked in fear that it would prohibit this step. I apologize, but this may be long.

I have always without exception gone to the gym religiously since I was out of high school. I have had image issues in the past, I have done the whole not eating thing, fad diets, so on and so forth to control my weight.

Last fall, I became pregnant. I was slightly underweight at the time. I stopped going to the gym altogether (stupid, I know) and did as best I could to be healthy. I wound up gaining a TON of weight, probably double what I "should" have.

My son was born in June and for awhile things were fine, I was eating healthy, running every other day, and going to the personal trainer I had been seeing on and off for a few years. Our schedules clashed too much so that stopped after about 2 months.

Eventually, there was no one to watch Liam for me to go running and all my efforts went to waste. I feel so fat all. the. time. I tried on my dress tonight and wanted to cry.

My mom is covering a new gym membership and bootcamp classes for me as my Christmas gift. Through a chain of unfortunate events, both my and FI's cars are in the shop, so as soon as we get one back, I intend to sign up and start going (hopefully soon).

So that's me. I really NEED to stay motivated. For some reason, it has become a problem. I don't know if it's just that I'm so exhausted from taking care of the baby or what, but I am ready to get it together. I have never known myself in this foreign body before, and I don't want to be aquainted any longer. I have to get it together. If not for myself, for my child. The last thing I want to be is a physically unfit parent.

Any motivational advice for the consistently tired??

ETA: Sorry, I should have put this in the Thursday post. Should have read that...

Re: Yeup.....here I am (Long, sorry)

• 1st, I love Tooth Paste For Dinner

2nd, welcome!  Don't worry, we won't bite.  :)

My only real motivational advice is to just do it.  Make exercise a priority.  It's not a "I'll maybe do it" but an "I will do it" type thing.

I might not always like going to the gym, but it's something I have to do.

If you love running, have you considered getting a jogging stroller so that you could bring your son (who's adorable, by the way) with you?  That would help with the whole no-one-can-watch-him thing.

We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The jogging stroller is a great idea! Our street has these weird dip things at every intersection though. Maybe I will see if there is an area I can walk to that doesn't have them....

I do, I NEED to just do it. I'm praying that it sticks.
  • Your son is adorable!  Congrats!

I also have problems motivating myself.  I, like you, am tired all the time.  I thought this would get better when I started taking medication for my hypothyroidism, but it hasn't really.  It feels like every day is a fight to get myself to move and get in shape.

With that said, what I've found that works for me above all else is doing something that I'm actually excited about.  I love to dance, so i bought a dance game for the Wii and I actually look forward to doing that every day.  When I have really stressful days at work, I've been doing a kickboxing DVD to get out all of my frustrations.  This has really helped motivate me to keep going and work through it and has also given me the confidence to branch out and try new things.

Best of luck!
    Getting an autograph from UK's March Madness MVP image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards