Getting in Shape
Options

Protein Drinks or Results and Recovery Formula

Hi,

I have been thinking about adding in a protein shake or something into my diet since after tracking my diet on my fitness pal for a few weeks now I am always low on protein. I know I need to work on getting more protein into my diet with lean meats and such but right now its going to be a slow change to get to that point.

I am reading around online about different protein shakes and the p90x results and recovery formula trying to decide what would be best to get but was hoping to get some firsthand reviews of anything you ladies have tried or reccomend. Oh and how did they taste?

Also my workout routine right now is the Insanity program with rock climbing also twice a week.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Protein Drinks or Results and Recovery Formula

• Options
    I use the isopure dutch chocolate, and drink it with skim milk.  It really tastes like a rich chocolate milkshake
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I don't eat a lot of meat (because I don't like the taste) so I drink protein shakes to get enough protein in for the day. I work out in the mornings before work so I use these as my breakfast after my work out. I use Designer Whey protein. It's all natural and about 100 calories a scoop. You can find it online or any health, vitamin store. I get mine at vitamin shoppe currently because it's close to me.

I use this website for my shake recipes. My FI even drinks them now! They literally taste like milkshakes! I look so forward to them after my work outs. One thing I do differently (as the recipe suggests as an alternative) Is I use plain, fat free, greek yogurt instead of the cottage cheese she makes hers with. It makes the shakes so creamy, gives it added protein, and much needed probiotics!

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/dashing-dish-official-protein-shake/
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

Thank!

Marbeth do you get the plain n imple one or one of the flavored ones? All of those shakes on that website look amazing! I definitely want to try some of them out and I even have a 20% off for vitamin shoppe so tht designer whey one looks pretty good

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SimplyME22SimplyME22 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    edited June 2012
    I'm also doing Insanity- 1 month in, 1 to go!

I like Aria protein powder by Designer Whey.  It's lowcal (80) per serving and 14g of protein.  I typically have a shake every morning for breakfast with 2 scoops of Aria, 1 cup of unsweetened almond coconut milk, and fruit.  It's delicious and filling!

I typically work out in the afternoons when I get home, so I have a cup of milk with a tablespoon of chocolate syrup as my recovery drink.  There have been a ton of studies regarding recovery drinks and it always shows up as a good choice.  It's working for me.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I use a whey protein isolate by Dymatize.  I mix it with skim milk and it's delicious, tastes just like melted ice cream.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I used to use Jay Robb protein tropical dreamsicle flavor and holy hell was that tasty. But now I opt to drink liquid egg whites, 1 cup with 1 cup of unsweetened orange juice.
  • Options

It depends on what you are looking for? Results and recovery is formulated specifically forafter a workout (like Insanity) because it has the correct complex carbs and protien ratio. Are you looking for a calorie deficient protien shake, a nutritional supplliment or a workout recovery formula?

May 2013 Brides February Siggy photo invitessiggy_zpscfc27989.jpg Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    I typically go with vanilla or chocolate protein powder. Depends on what kind of shake flavor I'm into at the moment. I find if you're adding fruit typically the vanilla is better for that. I've never tried the plain powder. I typically keep both chocolate and vanilla on hand since I go thru them so fast.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    turtles I think I'm mainly wanting a nutritional supplement to get to the right amount of protein since I'm usually only getting about half of the amount of protein I need a day but I'm also not really sure what the differences are between all the different types.

I'm trying to lose weight and tone up so I know I want to avoid anything too high calorie or sugars but there are just so many different options out there its overwhelming trying to figure out what is going to be best for what I want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I get that! I have my Shakeo for breakfast and then use results and recovery for intense workout recovery. I PM'd you...
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy photo invitessiggy_zpscfc27989.jpg Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Thanks turtles! I sent you a message back with some questions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My FI and I favor Elite Gourmet, found at GNC.  It has two types of protein in it, one for quick absorption and another for slow, feed your muscles over time, kind of absorption.  Chocolate flavor is pretty good.  I like that I can take it before and after a workout and I also drink it as a meal replacement sometimes, with a little bit of fruit or something. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-drinks-or-results-and-recovery-formula?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:421ac726-2365-49c1-9dda-8972965c2445Post:2eec1359-32b6-44e7-8379-6f0d40463120">Re: Protein Drinks or Results and Recovery Formula</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI and I favor Elite Gourmet, found at GNC.  It has two types of protein in it, one for quick absorption and another for slow, feed your muscles over time, kind of absorption.  Chocolate flavor is pretty good.  I like that I can take it before and after a workout and I also drink it as a meal replacement sometimes, with a little bit of fruit or something. 
    Posted by icefog34[/QUOTE]
    Forgot to add....it's very very low in carbohydrates, so you can get a good amount of protein and not carbs.  Per scoop, if I remember correctly, you get about 23 grams of protein.  I usually have about 1.2 to 2 scoops every time I drink it.  I want to lean up a bit so it was important to me to have a protein powder that was low in carbs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MerAndTrickMerAndTrick member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I'm a Muscle Milk girl for just everyday type of stuff... although I use some of the following too:

I use this stacked against Creatin for gaining muscle... probably a little overkill for what you're looking for.  Drank 30 minutes after my creatine dosage.

Again staked post-workout against BCAAs, Glutamine, and other recovery agents.  Drank 20 minutes after I drink my post-training supplement.

When you go into GNC, they will probably try to upsell you to a "higher quality" protein like one of the two above.  Unless you are a serious athlete, don't buy it.  At a basic level protein is protein is protein.  Absorption rates and times and protein source type and bio-effectivity ONLY matter if you're using it against a stack like I do with Creatine or post-training supplements.  

There is also no need to worry about paying extra for Casein.  Just pick either Whey or Egg protein.  Incidentally, I don't recomend Soy based protein powders.  Soy has a bio-identical hormone to human estrogen, and generally, for women, is ok to eat in it's regular food state.  But condensced into a powder, I worry about having too must estrogen.  Especially if you're on the pill.  There's no research to say anything's wrong with it... but I'm warry of it.

If you don't have any Lactose intolerance issues, stick with Whey.  Thats why I like Muscle Milk for just a general protein.  It TASTES good, and it will give you what you need and has lower carb/ sugar options.
    Counting Down the Days... Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards