Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Playlist Poll

What were some songs that got everyone up and dancing at your reception?

Alt. question for the not-quite-marrieds:
What is one song on your "must play" list?
Anniversary

Re: Playlist Poll

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the best one at mine was an "old school mix" that Glenn did--I know one of them was Shake Your Groove Thing, one was a KC & Sunshine Band (Boogie Shoes maybe?) and another one I can't remember--maybe Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough.  Another good one was Hon*y Tonk Woman--I will never forget my grandmother dancing to that!

Stuff like Pit Bull and Black Eyed Peas weren't as popular with my crowd although you would expect them to be--but it really depends on your crowd I guess.  My first song was "Just Dance" by Lady Gaga which was a good way to start off.

The Married Couples Dance to The Way You Look Tonight and our last dance to Stay With You were also very popular--probably the most crowded the floor was all night.  But my crowd was mostly 30+, very few were younger except my daughter and her friends.  And although we didn't play it, Don't Stop Believing is very popular.
  • btweety04btweety04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a lot of top 40 that had everyone dancing and also "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd asked the DJ to play "fun oldies" during dinner, and we had a surprising number of people that were up dancing to those songs instead of eating! I hadn't anticipated to have a dance floor that started that early!

Our dance floor was packed all night, but it's kind of a blur to try and remember which songs. I do remember that everyone came out when Thriller started ... but only about 2 people could actually do the dance. And, "Kung Fu Fighting" got all the guys out there, and the video of their slow-motion-dancing/play-fighting is hysterical.

Our must-play song was "Dead and Gone" by Justin Timberlake and TI. It's H and my one and only song we share in common that we like, so it's "our song" by default. But, the dance floor cleared the minute the DJ put it on, except H and I. So, that was lame.

• edited December 2011
    We have two songs on the must play list.  One is Michael Buble, the other is "Old Time Rock and Roll," my mom's favorite song.

FI asked for a lot of folksy music that our DJ doesn't currently have, but he'll order it.  We told him to play it if it "fit"... I'm not sure it will.  =(
    Anniversary

• juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I requested many songs, which our DJ played first.  "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" by Frankie Valli; "As Time Goes By" by Jimmy Durante; "White Wedding" by Billy Idol.  FIL took off his jacket, tie and suspeders to "YMCA".  Then he did songs like "Cupid Shuffle" because my autistic cousin liked them and we all danced with him then.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_playlist-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:2901c324-0359-4919-b7a6-ff3711196ab4Post:23c73fce-4659-418b-bb4b-2704097a1a03">Re: Playlist Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have two songs on the must play list.  One is Michael Buble, the other is "Old Time Rock and Roll," my mom's favorite song. FI asked for a lot of folksy music that our DJ doesn't currently have, but he'll order it.  We told him to play it if it "fit"... I'm not sure it will.  =(
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

This is why you hired a DJ so let him do his job.  He'll try it and if it doesn't work he'll move on.
  • aeliza06aeliza06 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed, DJ's are pretty great about reading the crowd and seeing what works. 
    I think Billie Jean or Thriller (MJ) is a pretty fun song to have around- a lot like Journey's Don't Stop Believing. Oldies always seem to work well (and get a good crowd).

For us, Sweet Caroline is a must, especially with my sorority sisters (don't ask me why- I don't know- I think too many nights at the bar?)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards