Getting in Shape

How Do You Recover From a Poor Eating Day?

So I had my work shower today, which was lots of fun, but lots of deliciously bad food.  I am about 260 calories over for the day, after my workout, of nothing but sugar and junk.  I'm contemplating doing an extra workout tonight to get it off, or just dealing with it.  I worked out at lunch, after I ate the garbage, so I feel like that's already got me on a 'better' track, in that the workout will have used some of the simple sugars and the fats from the sweets.
I still haven't made a decision, but am wondering what you ladies do on days like this?
Anniversary

Re: How Do You Recover From a Poor Eating Day?

• I'm like you - generally if I know I'm going to eat bad, or already have, I will attempt to work off those extra calories.

There are definitely days though where I just roll with it and accept that it was not the best of days, but tomorrow will be better :)

For today I vote that you're fine and you've already worked out, just let yourself enjoy the day!
  • I agree with PP's, you are so good every other day that if you're over one day by a little bit I don't think you will notice it. If it will bother you, I would take a long walk tonight or something to burn a few extra calories. Sometimes, its ok to be over though. You are building muscle and muscle burns more calories so your resting metabolism will eat up those calories and you probably won't even see a difference.

Relax and enjoy your splurge day :)
  • Thanks ladies.  I'm not overly concerned (even though last Friday was a major overage, too) - just more curious as to how everyone else treats the situation.
    Anniversary
  • Ooooh, ok then that changes things haha! I would probably just go for a long walk after dinner or for a swim. You could always adjust the rest of the week and do like Kwith said and take in 50 less calories. That wouldn't put you into starvation mode and you could adjust your weekly caloric intake that way.

But to be honest, unless I was like 500-1000 calories over, I'd just call it a splurge day and push a little harder when I worked out next.
  • Just get back on track at your very next meal.
    I'm new here, but it sounds like you are on a good plan and shouldn't feel bad about indulging for one day for a very special occasion.  Kudos to you for working out after!
  • I tend to just put bad days behind me and look at the next day as a new slate. One bad day isn't going to undo all your good work.

August 2012 - Married! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_how-do-you-recover-from-a-poor-eating-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:444daa40-7023-459b-95be-3260485f2923Post:7ab4223b-8271-4314-9bd9-5aaad0e61e9d">Re: How Do You Recover From a Poor Eating Day?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ooooh, ok then that changes things haha! I would probably just go for a long walk after dinner or for a swim. You could always adjust the rest of the week and do like Kwith said and take in 50 less calories. That wouldn't put you into starvation mode and you could adjust your weekly caloric intake that way. <strong>But to be honest, unless I was like 500-1000 calories over, I'd just call it a splurge day and push a little harder when I worked out next.
    </strong>Posted by Scheff725[/QUOTE]

this is exactly what I was thinking.

Enjoy it! Honestly I would hate to think back on all the fun wedding parties and get togethers and remember NOT eating any of the food for fear. I would so much rather just enjoy it! weddings are so stressful we deserve a few indulgences without the guilt!.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I used to be bummed when I go over but tell myself it'll eventually even out LOL
  • I had a poor eating day on Saturday -- some friends hosted a party in our honor for our local guests, and I did sooooo well staying away from the food table until I had a piece of cake. Then I was in the gravitational pull of the other food, and it was all downhill. It wasn't junk -- it was good, healthy food, but I only really needed to consume about half of what I did. That's saying alot, since I'm training for a marathon and had run 20 miles that morning! I've restarted my food journal, and I didn't have any idea what to put for Saturday night -- I guessed at 1000 calories, but that could have been low!

I knew it was coming, so in some ways I'm okay with it. But it does really bring home how careful I will need to be over then next four weeks (our wedding is Sept 1). I had been keeping a food journal from about July 1 through my fitting on July 17, and it was pretty awesomely effective -- I lost 4-5 pounds over that period, largely by cutting out alcohol or limiting myself to a small glass of wine, and really cutting out processed foods, which have a lot of hidden salt (well, not completely hidden -- it's on the label, but the food itself doesn't usually taste salty). So the lower salt intake helped me lose water weight, and the lower wine intake cut that ~400 calories out that had been preventing me from losing any weight before that. I found a deli turkey that has half the salt of the turkey I had been eating -- what an amazing impact that had! Of course, after the dress fitting showed I even had a bit of wiggle room, I stopped the food journal and gained those few pounds right back. Sigh.

Now I'm just hoping I can repeat my 4 pound loss over the next month (and hoping my dress still fits when I pick it up on Aug 15 -- I'm so glad I didn't let them take it in!). To make up for the indulgence at the Saturday party, my FI and I went for a long, fast walk Sunday morning. I'm going to restart doing my yoga DVD (Rodney Yee's Yoga Conditioning for Athletes), and I've got to make sure I get my three runs in each week -- that's more for the marathon than for the wedding, but it'll still help! We're going to have about 14 people staying with us in the days before the wedding, and I realize -- and have told my FI -- that I can't eat pizza and chips and drink wine with the fam for five days before the wedding -- I'll never fit the dress. I think I'm going to have "The Bride's Turkey" in the downstairs fridge. Wish I'd bought a more forgiving dress!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards