Getting in Shape
Options

Cutting out wheat and dairy...

If you cut out things like wheat and dairy, what do you eat???  I feel like everything I eat is wheat and dairy lol

Re: Cutting out wheat and dairy...

• Options
    Cutting out wheat and dairy may seem hard--but believe me, from what I've heard its worth it! My mom has a low thyroid issue and her doctor recommended she cut out wheat and dairy to see if it would make a difference. She has lost 6 pounds in a week! I don't know if these results happen for everyone, I'm sure its a case by case basis. But she gets gluten free bread and pasta products, lean meats, fruits, veggies, eggs--look up some wheat and dairy free recipes online, I'm sure there are people out there that are on this same diet and have come up with some pretty good stuff. If you have a Trader Joes near there go up to a friendly sales associate and ask about some of the products they have. Trader Joes is awesome for healthy eating :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I eat wheat but no dairy and a lot of my meals just dont have wheat in them.  I eat tons of beans and veggies and nuts mainly.  I do love my bagels with soy butter or soy cream cheese on a weekend though.  I used to love cheese but it was so eacy to cut out and i dropped about 5 lbs without trying or noticing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cutting-out-wheat-dairy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:48f26907-b6b1-48fe-8ed4-e0bbc30755b5Post:c0579c16-94db-427d-96a9-7bfce19ce6ef">Cutting out wheat and dairy...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you cut out things like wheat and dairy, what do you eat???  I feel like everything I eat is wheat and dairy lol
    Posted by mercy4[/QUOTE]

Lots of stuff.  It's actually not that hard.  Of course, I have extreme symptoms as a motivator for avoiding.
  • Options
    I am both lactose intolerant and have celiacs . It does seem hard at first but I eat a lot of fruit and vegtables with lean protein, I have found fish works wonders in keeping me full and tasting good. Tilapia is my personal favorite. There are many websites and cookbooks now that offer interesting recipies for people who HAVE to cut out dairy and wheat or others who simply choose too. Stores like "Hyvee" have become my best friend with all the gluten free and dairy free products they have avaliable. :) hope it helped a bit!
  • Options
    Look up "clean eating" or "eat clean" (both will have some results). There is a ton of info and you should find some great recipes! (I am in the process of going wheat free and have been overwhelmed by how much info there is out there!)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cutting-out-wheat-dairy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:48f26907-b6b1-48fe-8ed4-e0bbc30755b5Post:0578fa58-4e44-4687-afb3-e314e3153e84">Re: Cutting out wheat and dairy...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Look up "clean eating" or "eat clean" (both will have some results). There is a ton of info and you should find some great recipes! (I am in the process of going wheat free and have been overwhelmed by how much info there is out there!)
    Posted by a&j2012[/QUOTE]

But "eating clean" is different than cutting out wheat and dairy.

While I'm all for people with health conditions doing a medically prescribed diet that involves cutting out entire food groups, IMO, it's typically not advisable for the average person.  People with thyroid disease DO typically do better on a Paleo or Primal diet.  And of course, people with LI should avoid dairy as much as possible, and people with a gluten intolerance shouldn't eat wheat.

But cutting out whole food groups requires quite a bit of research to ensure you're getting all the proper nutrients elsewhere, and it can be difficult.  It's also not terribly practical for most people.  There are nutrients in dairy especially that our bodies NEED, and if you don't know where or how to get them from other sources, you're putting yourself in a bad position by cutting them out.

Now, I'm not saying I'm totally against these things.  Of course, follow what is recommended by your doctor.  But, whether you're doing it on a doctor's advice or on your own, make sure you're doing the research you need to do to ensure you're getting the nutrients you need. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I was on a lactose free diet thanks to a medical condition. It was horrible. It would have been nearly impossible if I weren't motivated by brutal symptoms. I actually agree with J&K that if you don't have a medical reason to be ruthless about your diet, you probably shouldn't cut out food groups.

That said, if you are convinved that you should do it, the key is to cook for yourself. Don't try and find substutites, find foods that you like on their own. I loathe tofu with a fiery passion. I got used to soymilk once I stopped trying to consider it a milk alternative (has to be Silk brand, though).

I ate a lot of things like baked chicken (personal spice blend because store bought ones have lactose as a filler), salad (with homemade dressing, again), and baked potatoes with salsa. Lactose is thrown into a LOT of store bought foods and for the diet to actually be effective, you have to read labels.

Of course, since I wasn't trying to lose weight, I would also do things like fry eggs in bacon grease, since I couldn't find anything else that would taste good.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cutting-out-wheat-dairy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:48f26907-b6b1-48fe-8ed4-e0bbc30755b5Post:421cdf3a-7678-4709-80df-c95b91e4b7c0">Re: Cutting out wheat and dairy...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cutting out wheat and dairy... : But "eating clean" is different than cutting out wheat and dairy. While I'm all for people with health conditions doing a medically prescribed diet that involves cutting out entire food groups, IMO, it's typically not advisable for the average person.  People with thyroid disease DO typically do better on a Paleo or Primal diet.  And of course, people with LI should avoid dairy as much as possible, and people with a gluten intolerance shouldn't eat wheat. But cutting out whole food groups requires quite a bit of research to ensure you're getting all the proper nutrients elsewhere, and it can be difficult.  It's also not terribly practical for most people.  There are nutrients in dairy especially that our bodies NEED, and if you don't know where or how to get them from other sources, you're putting yourself in a bad position by cutting them out. Now, I'm not saying I'm totally against these things.  Of course, follow what is recommended by your doctor.  But, whether you're doing it on a doctor's advice or on your own, make sure you're doing the research you need to do to ensure you're getting the nutrients you need. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

This exactly.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Rice, corn products like polenta and corn tortillas, beans, potatoes are all great non-wheat carb options.  Like many other posters have already mentioned, plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit, nuts, lean proteins and making sure you are not constantly looking for "substitutes" but for foods naturally wheat free.  Substitute products are often less healthful than their gluten containing counterparts.  I got a few cheap cookbooks off of Amazon, but I also find recipes online.  
    Most medical sites (like the Mayo clinic) have a lot of information under Celiac disease about what you can and can't eat.  I have dramatically reduced my gluten intake because of digestive issues and feel much better, but I am not eating gluten free.  I also track nutrients using Spark People so I know if I am getting everything I need from the food I eat.  Good luck to you!

• Options
    If you have LI, you know you don't have to cut out dairy, right? You can just take Lactaid before you eat dairy. Just thought I would mention it if you didn't want to cut out everything! 
    BabyFruit Ticker www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cutting-out-wheat-dairy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:48f26907-b6b1-48fe-8ed4-e0bbc30755b5Post:de55583e-d2da-4682-aba6-cb7eef3d0397">Re: Cutting out wheat and dairy...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you have LI, you know you don't have to cut out dairy, right? You can just take Lactaid before you eat dairy. Just thought I would mention it if you didn't want to cut out everything! 
    Posted by AMJ6511[/QUOTE]

That doesn't work for everyone.  But it's definitely worth a shot!

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    My mom is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and mostly Refined Sugar Free. She found it very difficult at first to figure out what to eat, but being a really good cook, she figured it out after some trial and error. She started a blog with lots of recipes on it to help out other people having trouble finding recipes.

This is the website if your interested...

The almond/rice milk can be substituted with regular milk if you like.
    And the Coconut Palm Sugar can also be substituted with regular white or brown sugar.
    Hope this is useful:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards