Getting in Shape
Options

Texas Roadhouse Recommendations?

We're going to Texas Roadhouse for dinner tonight for my Dad's birthday.  I can't locate calorie information online so I'm looking for help.  Obviously I need to stay away from the peanuts before we are seated (I'll definitely eat too many).  I'd like to have steak, but what is the cut that has the least amount of fat?  To offset the steak, I'll have a side salad (dressing on the side) and another vegetable (no starch).  But I need help with the steak.  (And I know that it is going to be a splurge - I've been eating especially well today to prepare.)  TIA!

Re: Texas Roadhouse Recommendations?

• Options
    my suggestion would be try a kid's size steak - usually steakhouses serve gargantuan portions for whatever reason, but the kid's meal should be able to keep you straight. or the old "cut it in half, box it up" trick. really though, i wouldn't worry too much about the steak - it gets a bad rap (i know, i'm a former vegan!) but it's truly not as bad as you may think. it's at least a great source of protein!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Eh, lean steak = tough steak.  I say just cut off and avoid any big visible pieces of meat, and just enjoy a reasonable portion. 

I also say screw the kids meal idea (sorry msange) and just get a box for the rest.  Usually the steaks are listed by size (at least in steakhouses around here) so it'll be easy to carve off the right size!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    haha i only suggest that because if something huge is sitting in front of me, i eat the whole damn thing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_texas-roadhouse-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:4e1e21af-3570-402e-8791-2741de37ae8bPost:4fba91c0-5576-4237-b173-fb2496782b6c">Re: Texas Roadhouse Recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Eh, lean steak = tough steak. 
    Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]

I agree completely!  Just get whatever cut you like, and if they put any marinade/seasoning/butter on it, ask for it plain.
  • Options
    I just went out for steak too!  My WW leader reminded me that if you get a certain .oz steak it shrinks after it's cooked. Also be concious of what it is cooked in/what the sauce is, etc.
  • Options
    Beef Tenderloin (aka filet) is both lean and not tough at all.  It's just plain old delicious!  Which is also why it's the most expensive cut.  If it's not outrageously expensive it would go with the filet.  A 6 oz filet is enough to fill be up but not totally break the calorie bank.  With a side salad and baked potato, you're good to go.  Just get salsa or BBQ sauce for the potato instead o butter and sour cream.  I actually think a steak place is one of the easiest places to eat well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Your meat portion should be the size of a deck of cards.  If you are afraid of over eating, request that half the portion be put in a take out box before your plate is brought to you. 

If you are looking to drink, get a glass of red wine.  The sugary drinks offered at bars can have more calories than your steak.

Here are some calorie counts from the calorie counter app
    Texas Road House
    Chili 120 cal
    Dinner Roll 227 cal
    House Salad 121 cal
    Loaded Sweet Potato 309 cal
    6 oz Sirloin 386 cal
    8 oz Sirloin 520 cal
    14 Steak Fries 240 cal
    Steamed Vegetables 100 cal

Hope that helps!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Thank you all!  I will be drinking water so at least there are no calories/sodium there.  Thanks to Nilla for finding calories.  I looked on the internet and couldn't find anything.  I think I'll stay away from the bread and eat the filet with salad and maybe I'll get the sweet potato (without butter).  I'm really good at not eating everything that is put in front of me.  I think DH groans inside when I ask for the "to go" box.

I think I'll also drink a glass of water before getting to the restaurant so that I'm somewhat filled up and the peanuts/bread are not tempting.
  • Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Sounds like a good game plan to me!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_texas-roadhouse-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:4e1e21af-3570-402e-8791-2741de37ae8bPost:21dd6932-94a3-48fa-b1d8-e92520831d22">Re: Texas Roadhouse Recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you all!  I will be drinking water so at least there are no calories/sodium there.  Thanks to Nilla for finding calories.  I looked on the internet and couldn't find anything.  I think I'll stay away from the bread and eat the filet with salad and maybe I'll get the sweet potato (without butter).  I'm really good at not eating everything that is put in front of me.  <strong>I think DH groans inside when I ask for the "to go" box.</strong> I think I'll also drink a glass of water before getting to the restaurant so that I'm somewhat filled up and the peanuts/bread are not tempting.
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

my fiance does this! (but i think it's because i left my olive garden leftovers in his car a couple of times... and the sauce leaked! oops!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sirloin is the leanest cut of steak there is. Being tough will NOT be a problem at Texas Roadhouse, I promise... their sirloin is better than most restaurants' filet mignon.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_texas-roadhouse-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:4e1e21af-3570-402e-8791-2741de37ae8bPost:21dd6932-94a3-48fa-b1d8-e92520831d22">Re: Texas Roadhouse Recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you all!  I will be drinking water so at least there are no calories/sodium there.  Thanks to Nilla for finding calories.  I looked on the internet and couldn't find anything.  I think I'll stay away from the bread and eat the filet with salad and maybe I'll get the sweet potato (without butter).  I'm really good at not eating everything that is put in front of me.  <strong>I think DH groans inside when I ask for the "to go" box</strong>. I think I'll also drink a glass of water before getting to the restaurant so that I'm somewhat filled up and the peanuts/bread are not tempting.
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

Mine does too. He hates leftovers, so basically he either overeats or wastes food. It drives me crazy.
  • Options
    I stuck to my guns.  I got the side salad and hardly touched the dressing, had 1/2 a roll (was going to eat the whole thing but my niece asked for half so I gladly gave it to her!), sweet potato (tiny bit of butter) and 4 oz filet (the other 4 oz. is my lunch for tomorrow!).  I felt really full which surprised me because I felt like I didn't eat a lot, but maybe the water filled me up more than I realized it would.

Thanks for all of the tips ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards