Getting in Shape
Options

What to do at the gym?

How long do you spend at the gym. How long do you do Cardio and what do you do? How long do you do weight training and what do you do?

Re: What to do at the gym?

• Options
    I usually spend about an hour and 15 to an hour and a half at the gym.  I do 45-60 minutes of cardio (usually 60) and 15-30 minutes of free weights and abs.  Personally, I like the elliptical and stair climber for cardio and free weights.  I don't think it really matters all that much what cardio machine you use as long as you are actually working hard on it and you enjoy it enough that you'll stick with it.  If you can, try to do a variety of different machines.   
  • Options
    I switch between strength and cardio each day. I do about 40-45 minutes of each. My strength is personal training, my cardio is running. I occassionally do a 90 minute yoga session or play tennis for an hour as well.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Me too...an hour and 15 to hour and a 1/2.

Usually around 35 min cardio...and the rest weights. I do a lot of free weights and work with the medicine ball.

Definitely do some interval training with the cardio if you aren't yet...it works wonders. :) Also, switch up the cardio, as your body gets used to the machines.
    Photobucket Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I usually do about 30-45 minutes of cardio (treadmill/elliptical), followed by 30 minutes of strength training. I focus on different areas of my body to strengthen depending on the day. For instance, one day I'll focus on legs, then the next day I'll do abs & arms, then the next day I'll do chest and back, that sort of thing.

This week has been different for me though. I've started doing 30 minutes of swimming, followed by 30 minutes of strength training. I'm loving it!
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    I spend over an hour at the gym. I get on a treadmill or elliptical for 45 minutes. I keep it an inlcine, at least a level 8, but I usually do the max incline. Just walking at an incline burns more calories than running.
    Then I do a little wieghts and other exercises for about a hlaf hour. I don't do heavy wieghts, (usually two 10 pound weights) because I don't want any more muscle, just want to stay toned. I do things like crunches, lunges, squats, reverse lunges, dumbell presses and pushups, etc. I have become a big fan of those elastic bands, google them, there's TONS of good workouts with them that can really tone you up!
    I hope that helps. Good luck. And remember, you can work out all day long, but your diet needs to be healthy too, to see the results!
  • Options
    When I get to the gym I warm up on the treadmill for 5 minutes, then lift heavy weights for 45 minutes to an hour (depending that where I am in my program).  If the program calls for it, I'll then to about 15 mintues of HIIT on the treadmill or bike.

I didn't really have an idea about what to do weights wise, so I'm following the program from the book New Rules of Lifting for Women.  It's really great.  I've seen some awesome results in a fairly short period of time, and I burn calories like a freaking furnace.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I do a lot of classes at my gym, which I love because it keeps me motivated and accountable, and it's something different every day. A class is an hour.

Tuesdays and Fridays I do a circuit class (combo cardio and strength). This is where I get the best workout!

Wednesdays I do pilates. Thursdays I do a group weight lifting class which is awesome. Sundays I do Zumba.

On Mondays, there isn't a class that fits my schedule, so I do elliptical for 45 minutes and then some ab work on a balance ball.

I am trying to incorporate more cardio into my schedule as well, and the goal is to get to the gym  before my classes (I go before work) to get on the treadmill or elliptical for a bit.
  • Options
    NJSLNJSL member
    First Comment
    Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do a 5 minute warmup on the elliptical followed by 45 minutes of weight training.  I do the Women's Health Transform program which I love and restarted after the 3 month program was up at Christmas.  The person that put the program together had a book coming out with all the exercises in it...the Women's Health Big Book of Exercise, I think it was called.

Then on Tuesday and Thursday I do 30 minutes on the bike, usually a strength program.  And on Saturday do 30 minutes of intervals on the elliptical and 20 minutes on the rowing machine.
  • Options
    I think it all depends on your goals.  I workout at home now, but while I was going, I would spend way too much time there...A total of about 2 and a half hours!!!  30 minutes of abs, and an hour each of weights and cardio.  You have to incorporate your diet as well, as working out along won't do it.  :)
  • Options
    I do 30-40 minutes of cardio (usually stationary bike) four times per week.  A couple times per week I lift weights after doing cardio.  I use 10 and 12lb. dumbbells for biceps, triceps, deltoids, 2 sets of 12-15 reps.  I also do the lat pull-down and upright row, 2 sets of 12-15 reps.
    Just this week, I started swimming instead of stationary bike.  It was a lot of fun!  It's important to change things up from time to time because your muscles get used to doing the same exercises over and over, and they become less effective.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards