Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

FREE Engagement Photo Shoot Location?

Hi Knotties, I am looking for any advice on free engagement shoot locations in the N Dallas, Plano, Farmers Branch area.

I am on a limited budget and cannot afford to pay an establishment to come in and have photos done. That's lame I know.

If any of you have any advice it would be much appreciated. I have the shoot planned for March 4th and my photog is on me hard about pinning down a location.

Help!

Re: FREE Engagement Photo Shoot Location?

• Options
    We took some photos downtown just running in and out of traffic.

There are so many places to go downtown... no need to pay.
    I know a lot of people also go to the Canals at Las Calinas.
  • Options
    There are a ton of really cool places! Would you like a more urban or country feel? The heritage center in Frisco is very popular. Any downtown area would work.. Legacy is really nice. All along 380 north of Mckinney are open fields to shoot at, and there is a REALLY nice part of Lake Ray Roberts off FM 428 in Denton called the Greenbelt Cooridor. Also, try lakes! I know grapevine charges but I don't think lake lewisville or ray roberts charges to take photos along the shore.
    Married 6/23/2012 Photobucket
  • Options
    Really, I would think as long as you don't go "in" anywhere, you'll be good.  We took our engagement pictures in Waco, and used the Dr Pepper Museum, an old bridge, and a public park.

Places like SMU, Bass Hall, the Arboretum, those will charge you.  A field will not.

Also, cwaggoner's e-pics are my favorite ever.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Also, I think the Canals actually charges.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Your photographervshould really give you location choices if you don't have any in mind. The Arboretum only charges admission and lots of photographers have passes. I've photographed at SMU and never had to pay anyone There are tons of free outdoor areas, indoor not so much. I think you first need to think of the feel you want.
  • Options
    Yup- Canals require a permit. This isn't to say you can't shoot here. Your photographer might get slapped with a fine if caught. (FI and I did shoot some engagements here taking the risk. We didn't get stopped, but we also made everything quick so as to not draw attention to ourselves.) 

The Cimarron trail in Las Colinas is free and there are lots of woods/fields, etc. I go running here all the time. There are four spots to park to access the trail, but the part on Riverside north of O'Connor is the best (I think). The river is here as well as benches and overlooks. There are also a few themed apartment complexes around here that have interesting architecture. 

Up North, Adriatica in McKinney is VERY beautiful. They have this gorgeous bell tower, a lake, fields, and fun tuscan style buildings (and a cool modern looking tunnel). You just can't get Bella Donna Chapel in your pictures (unless you are getting married here). The shops at Waters Creek in Allen are nice too. 

Maybe Addison Circle?

FI and I did a few of ours at Lakeside Park in Highland Park (free- south of Mockingbird, east of Preston). It is a very popular park for photogs for engagements, family photos, etc. 

Agree with PPs- do you want nature/urban/traditional? Think of what you want and you may get some better suggestions. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_free-engagement-photo-shoot-location?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:2a9fe4b8-b716-4d9b-84a8-80c6cdcf47cePost:a60b6656-70df-47fa-acfc-d32b1a85f389">Re: FREE Engagement Photo Shoot Location?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your photographervshould really give you location choices if you don't have any in mind. The Arboretum only charges admission and lots of photographers have passes. I've photographed at SMU and never had to pay anyone There are tons of free outdoor areas, indoor not so much. I think you first need to think of the feel you want.
    Posted by Shay102007[/QUOTE]

<div>SMU actually does require a fee, but they will basically just ask you to leave if they see you shooting there.</div>
    Anniversary

• Options
    I live in Addison Circle and there are people getting photographed there all the time. There is a fun fountain, a huge park, and lots of bricky-urban type buildings and alley-ways.

And this is random, but on Belt Line halfway between the Tollway and Preston there is a park with a stream and a pavillion. FI took some engagement pics for friends of ours there and they looked really nice.
    He also took some for my brother down at Fair Park. The fair wasn't going on, but they keep the Midway up year-round so we got some fun pics of them.

And I didn't know Las Colinas charged... sorry about that!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_free-engagement-photo-shoot-location?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:2a9fe4b8-b716-4d9b-84a8-80c6cdcf47cePost:1cb1fc2c-50e7-4448-a391-b13e5972b5ba">Re: FREE Engagement Photo Shoot Location?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FREE Engagement Photo Shoot Location? : SMU actually does require a fee, but they will basically just ask you to leave if they see you shooting there.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

I did my bridal pictures at SMU and they didn't charge me. But I also talked to them beforehand and had to sign something.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• Options
    Awesome Suggestions ladies! Thank you!!

I love love love the Shops at Legacy we are going for sort of an urban chic feel and I'm not quite it goes with that "theme" but I love them anyway.

If that doesn't work out I am thinking or Addison Circle which would match perfectly.

Thanks to all who responded I have sooo many choices now that I never would have thought of before.
  • Options
    If you love the Shops at Legacy, the Shops of Allen/Fairview are really cool too. Just another option for you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards