Getting in Shape
Options

Tracking weight loss without a scale

Has anyone tracked their weight loss without using scales? I tend to get really freaked out when I do, like I weigh myself too much, agonize over every pound and and it drives me into a bad state. Also, because of my build and the way I put on muscle, I look lighter than I am and when I work out, I build muscle and it really diminishes the actual weight loss on the scale. 

I need to loose some weight, but would like to try tracking it with inches rather than a scale. Has anyone done this before? What should I expect in terms of speed (assuming I'm loosing it in a healthy manner) so I don't get discouraged?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tracking weight loss without a scale

• Options
    I've done it, in combination with weighing myself because I build muscle like crazy. It definitely works, I took my measurements and weighed in on Day 1. Then I'd take new measurements/weigh in once a week. It worked really well for me.
  • Options
    I usually measure my neck, bicep, bust, under bust, waist (smallest point), hips (largest point) and thigh. I think this is a better way to track your progress because it should be more about how you look and feel, not the number on the scale. I'm sure you know this but you can weigh more but be more toned and smaller in appearance.

About weighing - I'm an obsessive weigher. I tend to weigh myself multiple times a day. This can be a very very bad thing. However, I remember that my weight fluctuates during the day. If the scale says I gained a pound or two since that morning, it's just because I ate some food or something. It's completely normal. I also gain weight right before my period until it's about over, so I account for that as well. So if you do start weighing yourself a lot, keep that in mind! But once or twice a week will give you a good idea of where you're at and is probably better on your self esteem :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards