Getting in Shape
Options

Weight loss time frame

Hi, How long long did it take you to lose weight. Anyone lose 60-70lbs in less than a year and if so what did you do? Thanks

Re: Weight loss time frame

• Options
    i'd love to know this as well.
    2013 bride interested in joining a weight loss contest? Message me for details!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It took me about two and a half years to realistically lose 100 lbs.  I didn't always count calories, and took breaks at the holidays, which I think is why I've been able to keep it off without an issue.  
    If you're goal is just to burn the weight as fast as possible, I'd think you could lose the 60-70 lbs in a year, but you'll have to really keep yourself going strong (as that's averaging over a lb a week.)  It means holding strong during holidays, and burnouts.
    If you're going at it for a lifestyle change, and learning to balance it with the spluges that happen in life (holidays and celebrations, going out, just having a lazy weekend, etc), then I'd probably recommend something closer to 40-50 lbs in a year.

But, that's just my opinion.

(And it also very much depends on how much you have to lose total.  The first 50 lbs came off much faster than these last 10 alone have.)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2012
    I lost 114 pounds in two years.

60-70 pounds in a year is achievable, but it really depends on your starting weight. The average weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week, depending on how heavy you are to start. (Heavier people will lose weight a bit quicker at first and then slow down to the average speed.) If you're already 200 pounds or lower, you might lose more like 1 pound per week. My weight loss slowed when I hit 180.

I tracked my calories on My Fitness Pal and exercised for 30-45 minutes four days per week. I drank water as often as possible, especially if I was hungry for no reason (like an hour after a meal when I had no business being hungry). I made sure to eat small snacks throughout the day so I wouldn't get super hungry and stop at a drive-thru on the way home instead of taking time to cook something. My favorite snacks are string cheese and apples with a little bit of peanut butter.

I switched to whole grain everything, brown rice, and whole wheat pasta. It makes me feel much fuller. One of my favorite meals is chicken breasts, brown rice, and mixed veggies all mixed together. It's great reheated for lunch the next day, and a heaping plate is only 400 calories.

To allow for holidays and such, I'd say 50 pounds in a year is a better goal and not as much pressure, but you could certainly hit 60 or 70 if you're really dedicated. :)
  • Options
    I lost 90 lbs in 7 months and it was the worst thing I've ever done for my body.

I "achieved" that thru medical weight loss, but the minute I went from their nasty protein shakes back to eating real food, I gained back almost all of the weight. I didn't learn a thing about how to keep my body healthy - in fact the 700 calorie a day diet thinned my hair significantly and shortly after, I developed an autoimmune disease which was most likely triggered by the severe diet.

I'm currently at 33 lbs lost and this achievement has taken me about 11 months...but I'm significantly happier and I'm learning how to actually live and interact with food versus just avoiding it. My current weight loss is a heck of a lot more sustainable and even though it's going to take me another year or two to get down to my goal weight, I feel it's totally attainable and I plan to stick with it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_weight-loss-time-frame?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:6153b7c4-6161-4102-b31d-721444e6b32cPost:1fe04cd0-9ea6-4d3a-a5a3-771f980ee862">Re: Weight loss time frame</a>:
    [QUOTE]I lost 90 lbs in 7 months and it was the worst thing I've ever done for my body. I "achieved" that thru medical weight loss, but the minute I went from their nasty protein shakes back to eating real food, I gained back almost all of the weight. I didn't learn a thing about how to keep my body healthy - in fact the 700 calorie a day diet thinned my hair significantly and shortly after, I developed an autoimmune disease which was most likely triggered by the severe diet. I'm currently at 33 lbs lost and this achievement has taken me about 11 months...but I'm significantly happier and I'm learning how to actually live and interact with food versus just avoiding it. My current weight loss is a heck of a lot more sustainable and even though it's going to take me another year or two to get down to my goal weight, I feel it's totally attainable and I plan to stick with it.
    Posted by entropicbeauty[/QUOTE]

Wow, this is inspiring. It must have been very discouraging when you started to gain the weight back, and it is so great that you found a better, healthier way to lose it again. Thanks for sharing your story!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing, reading this made me realize it is possible :)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_weight-loss-time-frame?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:6153b7c4-6161-4102-b31d-721444e6b32cPost:40d6cfe7-26a6-4dbd-b1f1-58c54db15c9d">Re: Weight loss time frame</a>:
    [QUOTE]I lost 114 pounds in two years. 60-70 pounds in a year is achievable, but it really depends on your starting weight. The average weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week, depending on how heavy you are to start. (Heavier people will lose weight a bit quicker at first and then slow down to the average speed.) If you're already 200 pounds or lower, you might lose more like 1 pound per week. My weight loss slowed when I hit 180. I tracked my calories on My Fitness Pal and exercised for 30-45 minutes four days per week. I drank water as often as possible, especially if I was hungry for no reason (like an hour after a meal when I had no business being hungry). I made sure to eat small snacks throughout the day so I wouldn't get super hungry and stop at a drive-thru on the way home instead of taking time to cook something. My favorite snacks are string cheese and apples with a little bit of peanut butter. I switched to whole grain everything, brown rice, and whole wheat pasta. It makes me feel much fuller. One of my favorite meals is chicken breasts, brown rice, and mixed veggies all mixed together. It's great reheated for lunch the next day, and a heaping plate is only 400 calories. To allow for holidays and such, I'd say 50 pounds in a year is a better goal and not as much pressure, but you could certainly hit 60 or 70 if you're really dedicated. :)
    Posted by wrigleyville[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    I lost 40 pounds in about 6 months or so. I did the famous "eat less workout more" diet, lol I too, kept track of my calories which helps so much. It makes you more aware of what and how much you really are eating, so it helps create more of a permanent change, I think. 
    As PPs said, if you are very overweight, it will come off quicker. I started at 209.5 and lost the first 20 pounds or so rather quickly, got stuck around 180 for a while, and now I seem to be stuck around 169, but I feel so much better about myself, so I'm not too upset about that. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards