Getting in Shape
Options

Arms :p

I'm really self-conscious about my arms. I did a lot of colorguard, dancing, and martial arts when I was in High-school, and that was 4 years ago (I am 22). Since then, I feel like my arms are flabby and it makes me feel weird when I wear sleeves that are too short. 

I've lurked around here to read similar posts, but I haven't really quite found an answer that I'm looking for. The problem is that I am 105 lbs and 5'2.  I go to the gym everyday for cardio, trying to shed the "extra arm flab" because I am worried that if I don't shed the fat first, the muscle will just make my arms look even bigger under the fat. I have never been over weight or anything. 

Also, I don't want to loose weight, I am already skinny. My fiance tells me that I just have really stretchy skin (which I guess is weird, but true).  i have a good diet and I am healthy...

Sorry if this sounds patronizing to anyone or if there has been similar things posted. I guess I just want a better understanding of it all, in terms of my body type. Laughing
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Arms :p

• Options
    It sounds like you need to lift weights to help firm up your arms.  You can work out all you want but if you don't tone up your muscles its just going to turn into flabby skin.
  • Options
    But wont it make the arms look even bigger if I don't lose the fat there first? :p Since there's no way of targeting a specific body part to lose weight, I am at a loss. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_arms-p?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:620909ca-ac7f-42a8-8e9a-6b1d54a7cb1aPost:f004888a-0a94-466d-bf81-b012001c6c90">Re: Arms :p</a>:
    [QUOTE]But wont it make the arms look even bigger if I don't lose the fat there first? :p Since there's no way of targeting a specific body part to lose weight, I am at a loss. 
    Posted by FaunaQT[/QUOTE]

Weights will help you build the muscle base, and continuing to lift weights will help burn the fat and tone the arms.

One thing I like to do is
    Multi-joint dumb bell sets

Push up with hand weights
    Renegade rows
    Stand up
    Curl
    Military press
    Tricep extension

^That is 1 do a set of 12

With weight you can spot tone. That is the whole point of concentration exercises. You are working one specific muscle. Spot fat loss doesn't work, but spot muscle toning can work.

But talking with a trainer. Maybe doing 1 or 2 sessions with one will help you get a good arm workout plan.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Ok thanks! That helps me understand a bit more about stuff :) I'll talk to my gym to see if I can have a session with a trainer! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would get 5lb weights. Stand or sit and have a weight in one hand. Hold arm straight down then move it straight back. Lay down, lift weights straight up. Stand up tall, feet apart, hold one weight with both hands up above your head and move it down so the weight comes down to touch your back between your shoulder blades. I use to be smarter and I'd do one of the three sets during a commercial while I was watching tv. Rest during my show. Do the next set during the next commercials. This was right after I had my baby I was fat and lazy but it worked.
  • Options
    You will not bulk up - woman cannot bulk up like men. We simply do not have the hormones. Lift heavy weights - you should be lifting heavy enough where the last rep (12-15) is a major struggle to complete. Make sure you are eating enough protein too to help heal your muscles.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_arms-p?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:620909ca-ac7f-42a8-8e9a-6b1d54a7cb1aPost:f83a62e7-9d79-4804-97ed-e519a015a063">Re: Arms :p</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would get 5lb weights.  
    Posted by welikebikes[/QUOTE]

<div>My purse is often heavier than that. </div><div>OP, don't be afraid to lift heavy. It's necessary. </div>
  • Options
    Ok thanks for all the suggestions! The t.v. idea is a really good one and I wont be scared of bulking up anymore. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards