Getting in Shape

Vegetables?

What vegetables do you prefer to eat with dinner, on a weekly basis?

I have kind of OD'd on broccoli, frozen beans and stir fry and im going to get sick awful fast of steamed carrots so im worried about wtf im going to do for dinners.

What do YOU perfer to eat as your veg?

Re: Vegetables?

• I like asparagus.  I also really like to cut up zucchini, summer squash, onions and mushrooms and saute them with some garlic salt.  It's also reallyg ood if you add some stewed tomatoes and bell pepper to that.  Add some basil and oregano too.  This mix is also really good over pasta.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    You know thats a good idea, I might try that. I have a freezer full of asparagus and tomatoe from last summer that I need to use up before this season so I need to start using those.
  • I love spinach and mushrooms separately, and especially together. Also zucchini. FI likes peppers.
    Anniversary
  • I haven't tried this yet, but I heard you can steam cauliflower, mix it with a hand mixer and fix it like mashed potatoes. It's supposed to be pretty good.
    Slowww down, little ticker. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Yummy...

I loved roasted veggies..asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant, broccoli, squash just about whatever I have tossed with herbs and a little olive oil, maybe a little bit of cheese on top. Roasted in a hot oven for 30-40 minutes until things start to get just a little crispy. It's actually one of my favorite meals.

Although I love baked sweet potatoes too. I could eat those just about every night with a dab of butter and some good salt.
  • MsAlexander- My mom tried that-sadly it was only good when we added butter and cheese.  But then, I don't really like cauliflower that much anyway.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • NebbNebb member
    I just saw that (the cauliflower thing) earlier let me find it!! - http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/03/creamy-cauliflower-puree.html

I also just remembered I bought a zucchini last week and never used it, i hope it is still good. I might saute it up tomorrow for dinner. I love zucchini sauted and finished with a bit of dill but I havnt eaten that since the summer. I eat a lot of zucchini in the summer.
  • I love spring mix salad blend.  LOVE it.  I eat it at least twice a day.

I throw frozen chopped spinach in my pizza sauce (and spaghetti sauce, but I don't like pasta, so I hardly ever eat it). 

I keep a stash of chopped onions and peppers and use them to make quick chicken fajitas, egg white omlets, or mix them with potatoes before I roast them. 

We like to add cole slaw mix (shredded cabbage & carrots) to lots of things for added crunch (oriental chicken salad, lean pork strips and ramen, etc)

I oven roast a variety of veggies at 400*F for about an hour:  garlic, summer squash, tomatoes, onions, peppers, eggplant, a sprinkle of salt and about 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (It makes a big baking sheet) then pulse the whole thing in the food processor and use it instead of mayo, or mix it with plain nonfat yogurt for a dip for veggies or toasted pita.  (You can toss it with some pasta if you want, my mom raves about it). 

Hope this helps!

Danielle
    ~Danielle~ 25 June 2011 June 2011 Siggy Challenge: E-Ring Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • NebbNebb member
    It seems like roasting veggies is pretty popular, but I never do. I think I need to start doing that.
  • Have you ever tried artichokes before? I'm for real asking because BF had never had them before I made him one...
    It's a little tricky to actually eat and does require butter...but it's soooo yummy! You just boil them until you can easily pull the leaves off. Then dip the leaves in butter (the part with meat on them) and then when you get towards the center, you take the rest of the leaves off and the whitish purple things and the hair looking things and then chop up the bottom part (the heart) and eat that with butter...I'm sure the butter part is optinal too...they're soooo yummy!
  • NebbNebb member
    I went through this "try new things" phase last summer and artichokes was one of them, I actually REALLY didnt like it. For the trouble it took to prepare i wasnt impressed. I also hated the taste of spagetti squash, I am not a squash anything fan.
  • We have collared greens about twice a week with some lemon juice and olive oil. I usually add a teeny bit of salt and it's pretty good!
  • cdream05cdream05 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I like to take whatever veggies & garlic I have and throw it in a pan with some evoo and spices to make a veggie stir fry ( if you like tofu you can throw that in there too)
    Also whatever veggies I have with some evoo and bake on a sheet in the oven yum!
    If im in a rush i do  a bag of steamfresh veggies in the microwave.
    Remember you can add veggies to anything!! :)
  • I love roasted vegetables also! My favorite is roasting some tomatoes and garlic together, but I also like to do peppers, red onions, broccoli, etc. I just throw some pepper and a little bit of salt on them. 

I also drink green monster smoothies to get in extra veggies.  
  • I adore broccoli and never get sick of it! I use different flavors to give it lots of variety -- lemon, garlic, sesame oil, parmesan, PB, and different prep, too -- steamed, roasted, stir fried, etc.

That said, I also love spinach. Great with eggs and a little bit of cheese. Wilted over some garlic and onion, with a bit of salt -- this is also great over pasta. Wilted over mushrooms and garlic, on top of couscous or quinoa. I also put it on top of half a pita with mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, and a bit of cheese for a tasty mini pizza.

Asparagus roasted with mushrooms, a bit of lemon juice on top -- LOVE it. So good with ff sour cream mashed potatoes. It's also great over pasta with some tomatoes and parmesan.

Sweet potatoes are also yummy! You can slice em up and roast with onions, carrots, regular potatoes, garlic, and olive oil, or by themselves with just some olive oil and salt.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I tend to rotate broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, brussels sprouts, salad.. hmm what else. I have done the stir fry thing, but I get sick of them before finishing the batch. I love roasting veggies.. it really brings out the sweetness! (I especially recommend making brussels sprouts that way.) I'm totally intrigued by the suggestions to roast veggies and puree them as a spread. Yum!
  • NebbNebb member
    I loooooove roasted brussel sprouts, with sauted onion and some turkey bacon. Its the only way my husband will eat it. I kind of OD'd on thsoe too :(
  • Have you ever roasted broccoli? It takes on a totally different flavor and the little ends get all crunchy. Lately I've been really into bitter greens- mostly kale or chard. Just sautee in olive oil with some garlic, salt and pepper, squeeze a bit of lemon on top- YUM. I also love roasted beets and parsnips, but those are kind of sugary/starchy which some people don't like.
  • NebbNebb member
    I might try roasting some broccoli, ive never had it that way and I always hear rave reviews about it. I have also never tried kale OR chard, so I wouldnt know what to start. I will need to add that to my list of "must try".

Where have you been btw ms. chicagochocolate! I cant remember the last time I saw you around here!!
  • Hah, LittleKatie. That figures.
    Slowww down, little ticker. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • heres a few ideas and my favorite recipie at the moment

eggplant lasagna cups-  eggplant, sauce, grated cheese, grated parmesan cheese
    for the cheese I use a serving size for each up.

bake 1 eggplant sliced about 1/2in thick for 15 min on each side (i omit the 1 tbsp of oil brushed on but it does give a better texture)

in sm baking cups layer 1 eggplant ring, 2 tbsp sauce, a little bit of cheese. 

repeat layers until you finish. 

top w/1 tsp grated parmesan cheese.

you can also do this with zucchini and sometimes ill use larger dishes and layer eggplant, zucchini, sauté peppers, and on occasion use a meat sauce when I want a bigger meal.

We also make a lot of cabbage soup. 

I love to chop up peppers, zucchini, summer squash, frozen veggie bags and cook them on the stove as a "stir fry" with bbq sauce instead.  Walden Farms has some 0 cal sauce that is very good.
  • Roasted broccoli is awesome.  It definitely has a different flavor.  I usually just drizzle some olive oil on top and then roast it.

I've been eating a lot of asparagus lately because it's in season and on sale in the grocery store.  I've also seen cauliflower on sale too.  Yum. 

Spinach is also a favorite of mine.  I usually wilt it down in a pan with some olive oil, minced garlic, and black pepper. 

Other more unusual veggies to try: Kale, leeks, and swiss chard.  I usually saute these veggies.  They could make an interesting addition to stir fry if you wanted to mix it up a little. 
  • NebbNebb member
    Ive added bok choy to stirfry before, but I dont like the quantity I get at the grocery store (its pre bagged and I cant eat that much fast enough to warrant buying it, it will go bad). I might look into kale and chard, because im curious now!

I wish asparagus was in season here, we still have another month to go.
  • edited April 2010
    ROASTED ANYTHING.  Seriously.  My favorite things to roast are broccoli, cauli, brussels sprouts, carrots (either slices or whole baby ones).  I want to try kale "chips" - they're the big thing over on the H&F board right now.  It's apparently just roasted kale but comes out kind of like veggie potato chips: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Kale-Chips/Detail.aspx

I like to do my veggies on really high heat so they get carmelized and crispy on the outside but aren't mushy or anything inside.  I like to just toss them in olive oil, sea salt, cracked black pepper and sometimes some garlic.

And I agree with the pp - veggies take on a whole other flavor when you do this.  Brussels and broccoli get almost like a nutty flavor and carrots get SO sweet.  My mouth is honestly watering thinking about it.

ETA - I also really like to add kale or chard to soups.  I just made some soup last night that was sort of a tomato base with cremini mushrooms, thyme, cannellini beans, chicken sausage and kale. 
  • One veggie side that I love and that is really healthy is a cold creamy cucumber dill salad. It goes really well with grilled salmon or baked chicken. You just combine the following things:

-Sliced cucumbers  (I use the english or persian ones, so you don't have to peel them, but any would work)
    -Fat free plain greek yogurt
    -White balsamic vinegar
    -Fresh dill, chopped
    -Salt and pepper to taste

It's so creamy but also refreshing- and fat free!

Otherwise, we usually do the same few veggie side dishes each week, but don't really get tired of them (or haven't yet...).

-Steamed broccoli sprinkled with black pepper and a tiny bit of parmesan cheese
    -Sauteed asapargus with salt and pepper
    -Sauteed fresh green beans with lemon pepper seasoning
    -Baked sweet potatoes
    -Sauteed zuchinni with EVOO

Of course if a recipe calls for something else, we do that...like peppers, mushrooms, etc.
  • I like grilled asparagus, squash, zucchini, and peppers.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_vegetables?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:6310bc37-d3d8-4a78-b031-c26ada81c42fPost:f2269c6f-1bae-4ac4-a589-94048b031d08">Re: Vegetables?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't tried this yet, but I heard you can steam cauliflower, mix it with a hand mixer and fix it like mashed potatoes. It's supposed to be pretty good.
    Posted by FutureMsAlexander[/QUOTE]

You can do this with turnips as well...
    Photobucket
    Megan & Chris
  • i love asparagus and cucumbers. Avocados are also really good, and great as a substitute for salad dressing. Cabbage and green beans. Everything should always be fresh when possible (you get the most benefits this way).
  • Pi, that is my favorite way to eat a salad.  I shred lettuce (my fav is Boston bibb), chop tomatoes and make a kind of "guacamole" with mashed avacado, garlic powder, pepper and lime juice.  The avacado binds the salad better than any dressing.  Sometimes I throw in a little grated cheddar for fun or you can also add black beans or corn to make it a little more like a taco salad.  MMM sooo good!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards