Getting in Shape
Options

Poor College Student w/ extra 30 lbs

So I'm a very broke college student (like having $60 in my account at most after paying rent, food, books, etc) despite having a shitting waitressing job where I'm lucky to walk away with $12 in tips. I've recently weighed myself and I'm 30 lbs over weight! I love my body but I'm not ok with this.

Does anyone have any tips on eating healthy on a budget? Any workouts I can do in the hour between class without needing a shower? Any tips on how to stay motivated? Any low impact exercises?

I was super athletic in high school/middle school (volleyball, softball, basketball, track, marching band/colorguard) but college is work and school. Unfortunately all the activities has left me with bad knees to too much exercise leaves me limping for a few days so low impact exercise tips would be appriciated...

Re: Poor College Student w/ extra 30 lbs

• Options
    I would try riding a bike to work or classes? I tore my ACL about a year ago and in physical theraphy they always had me do the bike. The cost of a bike upfront may be a little much but it might save you gas money?
  • Options
    I'm a poor college student, too...totally understand!

I try to buy all my own food - it feels like you're spending a fortune on groceries, but I'll buy lunch meat, bread, cheese, etc. for a sandwich for what it costs to get the same thing at Jimmy Johns or another sandwich place on campus. 

As far as work outs - I'm a history major and thus do a TON of reading and writing. So I'll occasionally do some reading while walking on the treadmill or instead of taking study breaks to watch tv, I stop and do a bunch of crunches or jumping jacks (also helps me stay awake when cramming for a test, or something, haha). Basically I try to fit in like a portion of a workout here and there, because it's hard to block out a long period of time between classes and work.

Take the long route when walking to classes, or just walk around campus between classes. I live in a town where you mainly have to drive everywhere, so I really take advantage of how easy it is to get around campus by walking - I ALWAYS notice a little drop in my weight when I return to school and my walking routine from breaks. 

Just do little things and it adds up! 
  • Options
    As for eating healthy on a budget, I buy all of my fruits and veggies from the local farmer's market. Prices are much better, and I think it tastes better, too. I can get a head of lettuce for a dollar, 3 peppers for a dollar, a pound of green beans for a dollar, etc. 
    Workouts: you could walk in between classes, or ride your bike. 
  • Options
    I know that my schools gym is included with our student fees- they have lots of free classes to try and a decent sized gym that you can work out in. I agree with buying your groceries and making all your meals yourself- they will be healthier and cheaper than if you buy from a fast food place.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Agree with all the above.. plus, for work outs at home, why not try some yoga or pilates DVDs. Cheaper than classes and low-impact, but effective.

• Options
    Does your school have a gym? I personally don't like work out DVDs but they are fairly inexpensive and seem to work. I buy a lot of tuna fish, I almost always have a tuna sandwich for lunch. Keep it light on the mayo and use whole grain bread. I usually try to add veggie fillers also. Tuna is fairly cheap and a lot of protein. Frozen fish and meat is usually cheaper than fresh meat and fish. I can buy a 10 pack of tilapia or salmon (frozen) for $10 or $11 and thats usually good for a couple meals.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

Not sure what your living accomodations are - but if you have a stove and a pot you can make tons of healthy soups and stews, and freeze the rest for those busy days.  Low sodium broths aren't too pricey, and you can throw in some cheaper vegetables, and eat the leftover veggies for snacks.
    Store brand yogurt and low sodium saltines are also a good turn-to for busy, inexpensive snacks.  Oatmeal is also a great buy.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Hi!! While eating on a budget can be hard, I seriously think the most important thing is paying attention to what you put in your mouth. Pay attention to the calories you ingest - I used MyFitnessPal.com and it's seriously been helpful for me. Plus, seeing the calories I burn when I DO workout is always an ego boost. Just having to pay attention to everything when you write it down can really be helpful!
  • Options
    Not sure if you have cable where you're living but if you have ON DEMAND with Comcast there's TONS of workout videos for free. They change them out too so you get new stuff quite consistently. If you don't have cable check out the library that's free.

If you buy veggies/fruit and chop them up instead of buying the pre packaged stuff you'll save a butt load. Eating healthy can actually save you money if you do it right. Don't buy the pre packaged diet dinners etc. Those aren't good for you anyway and they can get expensive unless you go to the dollar store.

Purchase meat in bulk, divide out portions, pre cook, freeze and you could potentially have a months worth of protein waiting for you in the freezer. If there's a Winco near you check them out for your meat or find out what day the local store clearances out the weeks meat and buy it then.

Do you drink pop or frilly coffee? nix the habit and there's money in your pocket and calories off your waist!
  • Options
    Thanks everybody for the advice! Its much appreciated! My apartment complex does have a little gym that I've been trying to use at least once a day and I've found my old pilates-yoga toning band DVD set. Here's hoping those 30 lbs go away before we schedule engagement pictures...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards