Getting in Shape
Options

Zumba

Anybody have experience in Zumba? Have you lost weight, had more flexibility, stronger endurance?? Please share! I took my first Zumba class last night and I had a BLAST! But I want to know if it is worth my while to go once a week. What do you girls think?

Re: Zumba

• Options
    If you want to see results from Zumba, you should go at least three times a week. I'm a former instructor, and I know several people who lost a lot of weight by doing Zumba. You have to stick with it though and do it often if you want to see results. HTH!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've lost weight through Zumba, but like PP said, you have to do it more than once a week. I stuck with it more for the fun factor moreso than the best workout only because it makes me want to work out. I do pair it with additional weight lifting and cardio though.
  • Options
    If you consistantly do it...you will tone and lose weight.  I wear a heart rate monitor to my group fitness classes to see how many calories I burn and I'm averaging 600-900 calories per Zumba class depending on the intensity.  Its a fabulous workout! GL!
    Favorite thing about fall...Florida Football!

What's cookin'? BFP: May 16, 2011 DD born January 19, 2012 | Chart BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary imageBabyName Ticker

• Options
    I've never done it but my mom does and she loves it. She's sticking with it and has fun. She says its a great workout and its helping her tone up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    As an instructor, I can tell you that Zumba will help you lose weight if you're someone who does not do cardio. But it's like anything else--you need to do it at least 4-5 times a week for real results. Current recommendations for cardiovascular exercise (for everyone, including your grandparents) are an hour a day, at LEAST 5-6 days per week. That may include Zumba, running, spinning, walking 4+ mph, or elliptical, etc...but it matters.
  • Options
    I love zumba!  I ordered the DVDs and I have gone to live classes.  I would say to lose weight on any workout program you must of course watch your diet and workout at least 4 times a week doing cardio and 2 times a week doing strength training.  Zumba is just cardio but it does burn calories and alot at that!  If you don't have a heart rate monitor I would suggest getting that so you can see just how many calories you burn.  I would easily burn 500 calories doing 1 hour of zumba.  Its awesome. 
  • Options
    As an instructor, of course I'm going to say do zumba many times a week to see results and stick with it for more than just two weeks! as a student, i'm going to say do zumba many times a week to see results and stick with it for more than just two weeks! as a dancer, I'm going to say do zumba many times a week to see results and stick with it for more than just two weeks! but as someone who does NOT like to exercise at all..... I'm going to say do zumba many times a week to see results and stick with it for more than just two weeks! hahaha 

basically, YES it's worth it to at least give it a try!  all of my students who come regularly (at least 2-3 times a week) have lost weight and more importantly, INCHES, because of zumba after only one month.  my aunt's clothes are falling off of her and she did not change her diet or anything else other than adding zumba. if you like it, it won't even feel like a workout.. just be careful on what you may want to grab as a snack after class.  when I first became an instructor, I actually gained weight because I was STARVING teaching so many classes and I made poor choices like ice cream sundaes instead of just the banana after class haha =)
  • Options
    P.S.!  If any of you are in the area, I am going to be holding a Zumba fundraiser for my Dance Team that I coach.

Friday, August 27 12:00-1:30pm
    West Haven High School Gym
    1 McDonough Plaza
    West Haven, CT

$10 per person - cash only
    12:00-12:30 is registration
    12:30-1:30 is the Zumba class

if you have any questions on what to wear or anything at all, just e-mail me! ECPetrakis@gmail.com
  • Options
    My FI and I are taking a class this Saturday for the first time...Can't wait!
  • Options
    buy the dvds it is cheeper than classes and it is fun to do in your own home every day and you will see results instantly :)
    I love zumba
  • Options
    Ditto PP.  I LOVE Zumba, just got certified as an instructor.  Just stick with it!
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • Options
    Awesome! Thanks ladies!! I've been doing other classes in addition to zumba, like spin, and body jam (dancing with barbells). I feel energetic and wonderful, and I'm heading back to zumba this week! WOO!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards