Getting in Shape
Options

When is it too cold?

I know we are all from different parts of the country so "cold" is definitely a relative term,

but for those of us who run outside, is there a point for you when you just take it inside? 

This will be my first winter where I try to keep the running going. I'm okay with running in the 35-40 degree range but I haven't tried lower and I'm nervous to do so. If there's snow/ice on the ground I obviously won't. I get very warm quickly when I run so I tend to probably not wear as many layers as I should. Is there a point where it is just bad for your body/muscles?

I HATE treadmills.  In college I had access to an indoor track and that worked out nice but I don't have that luxury anymore.
June 16, 2012

Re: When is it too cold?

• Options
    I ran outside in ND down to about 0 degrees without the wind (so usually with a windchill of about -10ish).  It's not bad for your body or muscles as long as you thoroughly warm up and cool down. 

However, my asthma has been much worse lately and I can no longer run outside below about 30 degrees.  You just have to listen to your body.

If you're interested in trying to run outside all winter, you can get ice spikes to strap to your shoes to run on the snow and ice.  You still need to be super careful, but they help give traction. 

As far as layers, make them things you can take off easily.  Your base layer should always be a wicking layer.  Everything should be breathable as well.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Also, something I would do when I was running when it was super cold was stick close to my house while I was warming up with more layers on, and then make a quick stop to drop some layers off when I was good and warmed up before I set off on my actual run. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I have the asthma issue as well.  This weekend was in the mid 30s and I was struggling.  I used to be able to suck it up and deal but lately the asthma has been too much.  FI's boss (an avid marathoner)  suggested I get one of those masks (not full face but for nose/mouth)  and try running with that.  He said as needed put it over your nose/mouth and breathe, then remove.  I haven't tried it but I might this coming weekend.  I was training for a half in Feb, but the whole no breathing in the winter is putting a damper on it. 
  • Options
    My aunt says if it is below freezing (she runs 5 miles a day at least), but here it doesnt happen often. So I know that that is relative to the part of the country you are from.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I run all winter no matter the temperature. I actually find it easier in a sense when it is below 30 because then I wear thermal running tights. When it's in the 30s-low 40s, I struggle to dress correctly. It's too cold for capris but I get too warm in tights. 
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I'm with you.  I hate treadmills.  I run outside if at all possible.

However, I'm a total wimp.  I've lived in the south for my whole life, so 40 degrees F tends to be about my limit.  Colder than that, and I have trouble making myself leave the house for any reason.
  • Options
    I've never not run because it was too cold; with that said, I don't think I've ever run in temperatures below 10 F (I just never had the chance). When it gets into the teens, I might pull out a full gortex running suit, though it depends on how intense my planned workout is. I wear tights below 35 F or so, and capris once it gets below 42-ish.

In February of this year, I ran what was then my 5K PR in shorts and a long sleeve shirt, hat and gloves, with the temperature in the low 20s, light snow, and swirling winds. I find when I am doing races or heavy speedwork I can get away with wearing a lot less.
  • Options
    Last yr I ran in negative weather all winter. I just wore running tights, hat, gloves,  layers and what is called turtle fur that goes around my neck and when I had issues with breathing id pull it over my nose/mouth and I was fine. The snow and ice are a little tricky but its managable and your legs actually get an extra workout when having to try to run over it.

• Options
    I don't mind running in the cold. I found a pair of Nike running tights that are slightly fleecy on the inside that I wear when it gets below freezing. A few years back I ran 10 miles in 7 degree weather... and the water in my bottle got icy! That was a first for me. The cutoff for me is probably a lot of snow/ice on the ground... I spent a month in PT next to a runner who seriously broke his ankle from a slip on ice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards