Getting in Shape

NWR - Nutritional/Protein shakes (XP from E)

Good morning Knotties -

I have no appetite in the morning and usually don't eat breakfast until a few hours after I wake up.  I was thinking of trying a nutritional shake first thing in the morning to get something in my stomach and jump-start my metabolism.  I know some of them are loaded with sugar, HFCS, and other junk.  Can anybody recommend a shake that is good for you and tastes good?  TIA!
Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest

Re: NWR - Nutritional/Protein shakes (XP from E)

• I second Kwith - with store bought supplement shakes you're always going to get a bunch of random filler stuff that isn't necessarily good for you.
  • Yeah, I definitely do prefer making smoothies at home.  I do protein powder and frozen fruit as well.  I don't always have time in the morning, though.  I was thinking it would be nice to have something on hand when I'm in a hurry.  Maybe I just need to make a greater effort to wake up a few minutes early :)
  • I think your second best bet to a homemade shake is something small like a greek yogurt, or a small bowl of fruit with a glass of milk.  Even if you can force down 1/2 an english muffin with peanut butter, you'd be doing your body a favor.
    Anniversary
  • edited January 2013
    FWIW, there is no need to eat first thing in the morning if you're not hungry (and if you don't get light-headed from not eating). Your body is very good at telling you what it needs and when, and it doesn't care what time of day it is when you eat. It's a myth that your body goes into "starvation mode" or whatever if you don't eat something within minutes of the alarm going off. Eating only when you are actually hungry is a great way of regulating your body signals, eating habits, blood sugar and weight.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_nwr-nutritionalprotein-shakes-xp-from-e?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:819313ca-6c39-4450-b91f-6c1a1b5042dcPost:42198da2-5d03-4424-8c53-d0e27a8ff7c9">Re: NWR - Nutritional/Protein shakes (XP from E)</a>:
    [QUOTE]FWIW, there is no need to eat first thing in the morning if you're not hungry (and if you don't get light-headed from not eating). Your body is very good at telling you what it needs and when, and it doesn't care what time of day it is when you eat. It's a myth that your body goes into "starvation mode" or whatever if you don't eat something within minutes of the alarm going off. Eating only when you are actually hungry is a great way of regulating your body signals, eating habits, blood sugar and weight.
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]

Starvation mode is a myth in terms of the way most people think about it.  BUT, if your goal is to be mentally and physically strong all day, breakfast is still very important.  While your body won't 'hold onto the fat, your mental and physical performance will indeed lag  (multiple scientific studies have shown this to be true.) 

Also OP, what about just milk with protein powder mixed in, in the morning? Takes 2 seconds and is a great start to the day.
    Anniversary
  • Just regular protein powder and milk has served me well for a post workout snack.  I can't see why that wouldn't work for breakfast as well.
  • To be clear, I don't need to eat the minute my alarm goes off, but I don't normally eat until like three or four hours after waking up.  My morning cup of coffee supresses my appetite, but when I don't drink coffee (like on the weekends) I am hungry much sooner. 

I can definitely make a fruit smoothie the night before, I just wasn't sure how well it would hold up overnight.  I may just experiment with that this weekend.
  • edited January 2013
    If you really want to not make your own, I use Vega force as my protein shake. 
    It tastes better than Gold Standard (what I used to eat) but it's all plant-based so your body has an easier time breaking it down than Whey, which means you get WAY more of the nutrients/protein and it's much less likely to upset yout stomach. 

Because it's plant-based, non-gmo, organic, no unatural sugars, etc however it definitely it more on the pricy side.

• edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_nwr-nutritionalprotein-shakes-xp-from-e?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:819313ca-6c39-4450-b91f-6c1a1b5042dcPost:d107e552-9367-4eb5-af38-6be3c651c2ae">Re: NWR - Nutritional/Protein shakes (XP from E)</a>:
    [QUOTE] I can definitely make a fruit smoothie the night before, I just wasn't sure how well it would hold up overnight.  I may just experiment with that this weekend.
    Posted by daveANDkristen[/QUOTE]

<div>The only thing that will happen to a smoothie overnight is that it will separate. So make sure you store it in a container that will allow you to shake or stir it easily. </div><div>
    </div><div>One of my favourites is a smoothie with 1/2 an avocado, 1/4 cup coconut milk, a scoop of protein and some water. It is a nauseating green colour but it's delicious and super-filling.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_nwr-nutritionalprotein-shakes-xp-from-e?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:819313ca-6c39-4450-b91f-6c1a1b5042dcPost:6225d7ab-79af-4696-b2ea-945d59dc5c81">Re: NWR - Nutritional/Protein shakes (XP from E)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just regular protein powder and milk has served me well for a post workout snack.  I can't see why that wouldn't work for breakfast as well.
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

That would be fine, can anyone recommend a tasty protein powder?  Some of them that H and I have bought are fine in smoothies but not that great on their own.
  • Can you fill your bullet with the stuff the night before and just add the liquid and blend in the am? Lik put in the friuit and ice on the botton, then the powder and then the yogurt, allow it to freeze overnight and then in the am add your milk/juice and blend? It should only take an extra 3-4 minutes the night before and another 1-2 in the am.

From what I've heard, it's good to eat within the first hour of waking up to start your metabolism. I also find that a drinkable breakfast is easier for me to eat on my commute into work.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks kwith and Stage!  I really like both of those ideas.  I was already planning to boil a few eggs this weekend for next weeks salads, but I like the idea of eating one early in the morning as a backup.  I love the egg muffin idea as well!  Any special way that you make/store them?
  • Thanks for the link, Stage!  And syd, I think that is what I'm going to do - halfway prep some smoothies and keep them in the freezer, then add liquid in the morning.  Seems like the best method.  I already use frozen fruit like kwith suggested.  I'm really just being lazy!
  • I know if I want to take a salad to work at all, I have to do ALL of the prepwork at once as soon as I get home from the store. I get lazy, and forget, then run late, and forget some more.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited January 2013
    Yep, I am the same way about salad.  To make matters worse, my H has a limited palate and doesn't like any raw vegetables, so I'm the only one who will eat it.  Just this week I started making salad in a jar, per the instructions on this blog.  I bought the lettuce last Saturday and jarred it on Sunday.  I've had salad for lunch every day, and today's salad is totally green and still tastes fresh.  I'm making this my new lunch routine.  Convenience is key for me.

ETA: fixed link
  • You said you drink coffee in the am? try this!

get mochachino syntha6 protein powder

Take 1 scoop of mocha protein powder
    9 oz of water OR coffee(depending on if you really want coffee flavor)
    1 scoop fat free frozen greek or regular yogurt.
    some ice cubes

It tastes like a frappachino...its about 300 cals and 33 grams of protein. :)

You can also use just the mocha powder with some milk, or water.

Other flavors that are good ate chocolate, cookies and cream and cookie dough from syntha6!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards