Getting in Shape
Options

How long before the wedding did all of you start working out?

Hey everyone! I am getting married in June of 2013 and have been working out for the past 3 weeks. (I have about 9 months to prepare!)

I was just curious as to what everyone else's experiences have been like. I won't be dress shopping for another few months, so I'm not terribly concerned yet about fitting into anything. 

Did anyone/Has anyone had the experience that they started working out too early? Got tired and gave up? Found that certain eating methods worked better than others?

I'm currently working on whole foods/plant based meals and am at the gym 6 days a week for 45 minutes. The past three weeks I've actually GAINED two pounds (but lost 5 inches over my entire body). Everyone tells me it's muscle - but it's still surprisingly frustrating! 

I guess I'm curious about tips on the process and experiences! Please share!

Thanks!!

Re: How long before the wedding did all of you start working out?

• Options
    Considering most men trying to put on muscle usually only put on a couple of pounds of muscle per month, it's likely not much muscle. However, lifting causes microtears in the muscle, which often is associated with water retention. I often find if I slacked on weights for a little while and then go back, I gain weight for a couple days, usually until I'm not sore anymore. 

I've been working out pretty much my whole life since I was a competitive swimmer. I say if you make it a lifestyle change and don't completely cut out things you like, it's sustainable. It's usually when people cut out everything they like and give themselves no breathing room that they burn out. You're doing great- keep it up! Results take time.

A side note- you said you're 9 months from your wedding and waiting a few months to go dress shopping. If you're not buying off the rack, you may need to start looking sooner. My dress took 6 months to come in.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I started working out the weekend I got engaged. So like 13 mo out.

"Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and pleases where it goes" David & Roxy March 2, 2013 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you're going to alter your workout regime and eating habits, set yourself up for the long haul! There's no point in doing a crash diet for 6 months so you can throw it all down the drain and within a few months after your wedding. It should be a gradual process with the mindset that you want to be healthy forever, not just appear healthy for 1 day. 
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat as you! Our wedding is June 1st 2013, and I've been working out and eating much better for about...two weeks lol. I think the timeline depends on how much weight you are hoping to lose! I only started getting serious because we scheduled our engagement pictures for mid October. I would like to lose 5 pounds and tone up my arms a bit. I agree with rswans, you might want to look for a dress sooner, mine also is taking 6 months to come in, and they recommended having 3-4 months for fittings.
  • Options
    I just run endurance events. I'm getting married next october. I'm planning an olympic triathlon a month before and a half marathon 1-2 weeks before. No half irons like this year though oye the training involved is much more brutal than those two combined.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    Hmm.. thanks guys! 

I really appreciate the advice about the dress - I had no idea it could take that long!

I have always eaten well and concentrated primarily on diet, but have been hoping that adding a daily workout will boost weight loss and toning! 

It's nice to know that it is probably muscle, and I hadn't thought of it being water retention or PMS! (It was that time of the month for me this past week.. hmm) Still hoping the scale moves downward a bit - it's just encouraging to see!
  • Options
    My wedding is May 2013, and I started MFP about 10 days ago. For me it's beyond just the wedding, there are engagement photos (mid October), dress fittings (my dress will be here in the middle of January) and my showers are set for April so I'd like to look good for all of it.

No harm in starting early, watching what you eat, especially with the holidays just around the corner. Good luck.
  • Options
    I agree it should be something you can do for the long term. Don't spend crazy hours at the gym for a few months and burn yourself out by the time your wedding comes along. Just make a few lifestyle changes here and there and work out 3-4 days a week (if you can do 6 like you are without being too tired good for you!) and you'll be good to go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ive been working out since jan 2012. I am getting married april 2013.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards