Getting in Shape

Pageant Tricks

I hear some pageant girls have tricks to look slimmer on their big day.  I figure, this can also be used on our big day.  I've heard of things like doing a cardio workout before you get ready so your muscles look more toned.  Using saran wrap around thighs to make them look thinner..  What are some other tricks (besides the obvious like get good rest, etc)?

Re: Pageant Tricks

• MandK9MandK9 member
    First Comment
    OMG I would be a miserable disaster if I had saran wrap around my legs all day.  I can't even image it. 

I have nothing to add.  Except, I guess suck it in. Haha. *shrug*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• drink lots of water
    reduce sodium intake.

these aren't so much tricks as they are common sense. I try to stick to common sense.
  • Jump up and down, squak like a chicken, spin in cirles for precisely 73 seconds. Repeat 12 times and then get dressed immediately.

If you eat right and exercise regularly, that's all you need, any other "tricks" are probably either not good for you, or are total myths....or I suppose ridiculously uncomfortable like saran wrapping your legs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pageant-tricks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:86128a70-ea8a-4345-b885-3a5f84ff5f56Post:548ef042-b52b-48b7-ad8c-1f5a365ce736">Re: Pageant Tricks</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Jump up and down, squak like a chicken, spin in cirles for precisely 73 seconds. Repeat 12 times and then get dressed immediately. I</strong>f you eat right and exercise regularly, that's all you need, any other "tricks" are probably either not good for you, or are total myths....or I suppose ridiculously uncomfortable like saran wrapping your legs.
    Posted by Allycat11[/QUOTE]

<div>I used to do this all the time for pageants... it really works... ha!</div>
  • Keep in mind, Saran Wrap is going to make you sweat. The difference you are going to see from wrapping your thighs is not worth the perspiration.

One pageant tip I would keep in mind is taping the top of your strapless dress with special double stick tape. This will make sure everything stays in place, and ensure that you arent constantly yanking at it.

Also, for those who think sweating off pounds in a steam room is a good way to shed that last pound, this will not make you look thinner; it will get you dehydrated. Not only can this make you lightheaded (a bad way to walk down the aisle), this will also make you immensely thirsty later on. As you can imagine, frequent trips to the restroom are not easy in gowns!

Finally, don't starve yorself. You've probably been working hard in preparation for the big day; the last thing you need on top if the nerves is a lack of energy and a growling stomach! If you want to be sure that all of your curves are looking their best, invest in some great shapewear. It comes in a plethora is styles, sizes, colors, and cuts, so you can be sure to find something that flatters you and fits perfectly under the dress!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pageant-tricks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:86128a70-ea8a-4345-b885-3a5f84ff5f56Post:8fae805a-64a7-4b60-82f0-f9f19150373d">Re: Pageant Tricks</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wouldn't Saran wrap make, like... squeaky noises if your thighs rubbed together?
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

hahahaha I can just imagine walking down the aisle "squeak squeak squeak"
  • if you are considering saran wrapping your legs, do yourself a favor and get some Spanx. They'll have a similar effect but your legs will be able to breath... and you wont squeak!
  • I've heard about the wrap before, but with a corset or something like that instead. I heard if you sleep with one on it makes you look thinner the next day. haha
    :3
  • I've never heard of the saran wrap thing, but I did date a wrestler and he always had to make weight. He often ran with a garbage bag under his sweatshirt. It was very gross the amount of sweat that would drip out. There are lots of crazy diets for if you need to lose maybe a couple pounds that week...juice diet, apple cider vinegar in some water (be careful with that...it's really bad for your teeth). I don't have any more on that, but one beauty trick I have used before is if you have puffy eyes, dab a little Preparation H under your eyes...make sure you wash your hands well afterwards. It's greasy so it could stain and make sure you don't touch your actual eyes with it (I wear contact lenses.). This isn't something you should do often so save it for very special occasions like your wedding day.  

Oh, another trick I've tried...I was wearing a very low cut dress so it wouldn't allow for a bra...before they had the stick on cups...I heard duct tape works for holding the girls in place. OUCH it really hurt getting it off and I had red marks for a long time. NOT recommended!
  • The only pageant trick I know of is the spray glue to keep the bathing suit bottom down. But I can't think of a reason that your average bride would need to glue her ass on her wedding day! :P

You do look more toned if you do a few pushups right beforehand, but I don't think the effect is going to last long enough to warrant the sweat potential.
  • "squeak, squeak squeak...

Not to mention how the heck would u explain that to your fiance during the garter toss? Yea, I wanna look thinner, but my fiance knows who he's marrying and what I look like, screw everybody else!

ok, not saying I don't wanna lose weight, but Im not going to saran wrap my legs to hopefully lose a couple pounds. Just, no.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pageant-tricks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:86128a70-ea8a-4345-b885-3a5f84ff5f56Post:2506620e-b1ad-46d8-a576-7cd3123993fa">Re: Pageant Tricks</a>:
    [QUOTE] One pageant tip I would keep in mind is taping the top of your strapless dress with special double stick tape. This will make sure everything stays in place, and ensure that you arent constantly yanking at it.
    Posted by WhitMichelle[/QUOTE]

Don't do it!  My cousin did for her wedding and she had a really bad rash for a few weeks after.  I don't think that the tape they use is meant to be worn all day.  There are multiple outfit changes during pagents, so the girls don't wear the tape all day like you would for your wedding.

I've heard a thin layer of vaseline on your teeth will help keep your lips from sticking to your teeth if your mouth gets dried out and keeps lipstick from getting on your teeth.
  • HiLLjOHiLLjO member
    First Comment
    Can you imagine what the saran SOUNDS like? Worse... if you're a summer bride... feels like in the heat?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think I remember seeing the saran wrap thing on TV before: You moisturize and wear it for a certain amount of time then take it off. It's to get rid of cellulite ran than to thin thighs in general I think.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My thighs will be hidden underneath my A-line dress, so I'm not too worried about those..it's the armpit boob emergence that frightens me.  :)

As for thighs, I say Spanx is the only way to go. Leave the saran wrap for your casseroles!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pageant-tricks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:86128a70-ea8a-4345-b885-3a5f84ff5f56Post:a6cd67ba-a406-4d40-aae4-eabc80637191">Re: Pageant Tricks</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG I would be a miserable disaster if I had saran wrap around my legs all day.  I can't even image it.  I have nothing to add.  <strong>Except, I guess suck it in</strong>. Haha. *shrug*
    Posted by MandK9[/QUOTE]
    K, you're killing me. <div>
    </div><div>And pp with the side boobage, amen sister! </div>
  • People, you dont wear the suran wrap TO your wedding... you sleep in it the night before and THENNNNN take it off.

There are also "water pills" you can take the day before your wedding. You will pee constantly but it does take about an inch off your belly for a few days.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pageant-tricks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:86128a70-ea8a-4345-b885-3a5f84ff5f56Post:548ef042-b52b-48b7-ad8c-1f5a365ce736">Re: Pageant Tricks</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jump up and down, squak like a chicken, spin in cirles for precisely 73 seconds. Repeat 12 times and then get dressed immediately. IPosted by Allycat11[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHHAHAHA omg thats awesome. i love it!

why would you saran wrap your legs if you were going to be wearing a dress? thats just too funny. no ones going to see your thighs anyways. maybe if your concerned about your thighs looking big you should start running :) thats all i'm doing. eating healthy, and running! i've lost a half inch off of my thighs in 2 months.

Good Luck ladies! Don't anyone make themselves sick over this stuff!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards