Getting in Shape

Lift Heavy!

Alright ladies, I love coming on this board to see all the motivation that gets posted but.. there are a few things that drive me nuts.. mainly some of the backwards thinking on weight-loss and how women should workout.

I'm not going to go into a giant list of things because I could type for days but I'm going to hit the big one that bothers me.

Lifting heavy WILL NOT make you look like Arnold, you will not get bulky unless you are part of a VERY small percent of women who are genetically programmed to gain muscle mass.

Below I've posted 3 photos: 
The first is from almost exactly a year ago:  I 5'3'' weight 120- had 32DD bust and size 7 jeans.  My main and almost only form of exercise was cardio.

The second is from my first CrossFit Competition 2 weeks ago:  I'm deadlifting 175#. I do crossfit 3-5 times a week and lift HEAVY.  I havent used a 5lb weight in almost a year.
The last is from a Halloween Party last weekend.

New Stats: still short, 118# 32C and Size 5.

I guess what I'm trying to show you is what a 2lb difference can make if you're actually building muscle.  And as you can see I am by NO means bulky from lifting heavy.

The best example I've ever heard is this:  The average woman's purse weights approx 5 lbs so really if you're not getting a workout carrying your purse what makes you think a couple reps at the gym is going to give you the results you want?

Hope this helps a little?

imageFollow Me on Pinterest

Re: Lift Heavy!

• Agreed with Kwith - I don't think I've heard anyone on this board telling others that they should lift light. I believe the consensus is usually lift as heavy as you can and do as many reps as you can till you fail at that weight....making sure to not do this every day, always give at least 1 day of rest between sessions.

Great pics though! Very motivational.
  • cnf2013cnf2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited November 2012
    I've been trying to up my weight lately for this very reason. You look amazing, by the way!
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Yyyeeeaaahh.. No one here says don't lift heavy... 
    If that was just your excuse to get to post pictures of your accomplishments, it wasn't necessary. You look great, congratulations! But I'm confused as to where you have read that we have ever said DON'T lift heavy. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_lift-heavy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:8a83dca3-1b59-4e57-a79d-5ae551caa325Post:54d873d2-ed22-45fa-92e8-66cd972e91e4">Re: Lift Heavy!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yyyeeeaaahh.. No one here says don't lift heavy...  If that was just your excuse to get to post pictures of your accomplishments, it wasn't necessary. You look great, congratulations! But I'm confused as to where you have read that we have ever said DON'T lift heavy. 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

This
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really wasn't meaning to come on hear sounding like "look at me" I apologize if that's the way it came off.  I can pull some quotes off of threads I was reading through yesterday that kind of tipped me over the edge but what I was reading were alot of, "what can I do to not be bulky and muscular but lose weight..." 

My goal was to show that lifting big will not make you big :)

imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Yeah, those are posters asking about it, and did you read responses? Because we always make it clear that 
    1. You can't spot reduce. 
    2. You won't bulk up. 

I used to post this article to people, but stopped a while back because I know it gets old to veteran posters. 

We don't control what new people, such as yourself, post, but we do control what our responses are. 
  • FTR, I haven't "lifted heavy" in a long time. I lift 3-4 times a week, but I can't lift HEAVY like I used to be able to do. 
    Why? 
    My spotter husband is gone. 
    It's important to stress safety when lifting heavy, and I think lack of work out partner is a big reason women don't bust out  80lb chest presses. 
  • Whew thank goodness!  I was about to quit Crossfit after reading all those posts over the last few days...I'm so glad OP clarified this for me!

Kidding.  Seriously.  I've never seen anyone on here tell anyone not to lift, or to be afraid of upping the weight.
  • my trainer keeps telling me to lift heavier and i always resist ... I guess I can actually listen to him for a change.
  • I wish that was the case with me! I am 5 foot 2, 108 lbs of solid muscle, took myself out of the gym so i could try and tone it down because even if I lift any kind of weight I build musles extremely quickly and I bulk. I have been out of the gym and I have gained 3 lbs but it took 2 months and my muscles are still the same. I will go back but I can't figure out what to do. If i do light weights my arms stay big but not as toned. If i lift heavy my arms are even bigger but really really cut. But I don't want to look like a body builder on my wedding day and im not speaking that i have a fear of this, I have 11 years of weight training experience so I know I am one of those who bulk lol. Any suggestions? And you are so right with the weights for the majority of women, and you look wonderful! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards