Getting in Shape

Losing weight is tough:/

Sigh, Losing weight is tough! I have been trying to lose weight for the past few months.. I would start minding what I was eating and then forget and gain back what I lost... these past 2 months I actually ended up gaining more weight due to stress and stress eating:/

My goal weight is 115 pounds (I'm  5'3), which is a weight that I am ALWAYS happy at and that was my norm  a few years ago... but then I started working a lot and eatinga lot more so I'm up to 132 pounds! 15 pounds more than my teenage years, is that even normal? lol. I know I"m far from fat, but I am getting chubby and I'd like to get back down to what I consider a "fun" weight!

For the past month I have been eating super healthy... I stopped eating rice and started eating veggies with beans at lunch, or at night just drinking activia... I did slip up a few times and had something sweet to eat... but all in all it seems strange that I haven't lost anything! My FI and MIL are having the same food habits and they have lost weight, but I haven't lost even an ounce!

I'm starting to wonder if it's hormonal, or if I've just gotten to a point where it's super hard for me to lose weight. I don't know... any advice anyone?

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Losing weight is tough:/

• Yes it is normal to gain weight as you get your older.  Your metabolism changes.  Diet is a very large part of losing weight - in terms of calories and nutriets.  Eating sweets or rice is not necessarily a bad thing unless you are eating too many sweets.  Have you tried tracking the calories you are consuming - it is possible that you are eating more or even fewer than you actually need to lose weight. 

August 2012 - Married! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Unfortunately, I really do think this has to do with age and metabolism or hormones. I used to track calories, a couple years back, but I became obsessed with it.. Although, now I am seeing that it really will be necessary- there is no way I can continue on this path!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Hi,

It is a normal thing that comes with age, but it also has to do with biology. Women put on weight in preparation for pregnancy and childbirth, so the 115s of high school don't always last.

That said, I think that you might still be within your healthy weight range. I know that for 5'4 (my height) the range is 119-145. I know that I will never be a 119, simply because I have a lot of muscle, so I'm aiming for the mid-range.

It took me a long time to stop focusing on the number on the scale (but I still use it as a gauge), I just don't let it define me. I've already lost a lot of weight since I began this journey - from my depressed, unhappy self of a few years ago - and I'm concentrating on feeling my best.

Also, how my clothes fit has become a more important marker for me. I wore a bikini for the first time last year, and while I still have a way to go, it was quite the accomplishment for me!

Focus on being fit and healthy. The number is something that only you see.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_losing-weight-is-tough?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:8efc009d-4368-49a6-a3fb-5af89644de60Post:ef32ea61-9fa4-4a5d-b80c-9121baf32cd4">Re: Losing weight is tough:/</a>:
    [QUOTE]Unfortunately, I really do think this has to do with age and metabolism or hormones. <strong>I used to track calories, a couple years back, but I became obsessed with it</strong>.. Although, now I am seeing that it really will be necessary- there is no way I can continue on this path!
    Posted by rebeccalynn92[/QUOTE]

<div>I know a lot of people on this board really advocate calorie tracking - I am not one of them for the reason you mentioned.  I developed this habit first to the "obsessed" phase, and then past...I counted calories straight into an eating disorder.  If you think it's age (which is likely...I just watched a mini-movie on this, actually), the best ways to counteract are to focus on eating more produce whole grains.  But don't eat too little - you will send yourself into starvation mode, and your body will start clinging on to what you eat!!!</div>
  • IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE TOUGH! I started this new 90-day health challenge and It has been easier for me to lose weight than any other time in my life and overall I feel better! You dont have to kill yourself to lose weight. I feel safe to say that you will have garaunteed results! Email me if your interested in more info. mrsshaffer25@yahoo.com.
  • Definitely your body being an adult.  I am 5'4" was 115lb in high school too, the heaviest I ever was was several months ago at about 153 lbs.  Now I am down to about 135-137 fluctuating.  That is healthy for me.  I'd lke to be 130, but no big deal if I wasn't.  About two years ago I DID drop to about 115 lbs for certain reasons and it was awful looking for my age.  Thankfully I put weight back on. 

Its hard to compare your adult body with your teenage body.  Just eat healthy and be active, live a healthy lifestyle.  Any excess weight will come off but overall you'll be doing your body good.  I don't write food down anymore, I used to at the beginning.  Now I just have the hang of things and I am just concious as to measuring portions and increasing fruit and veggie intake.  Add some exercise a few times a week and that keeps me where I want to stay.

But certainly if you wish to track, try my fitness pal for example.  Its a pretty decent tool
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_losing-weight-is-tough?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:8efc009d-4368-49a6-a3fb-5af89644de60Post:9335efa8-49f8-4a3c-8f70-401d1cb2f8e6">Re: Losing weight is tough:/</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Losing weight is tough:/ :<strong> I know a lot of people on this board really advocate calorie tracking - I am not one of them for the reason you mentioned.  I developed this habit first to the "obsessed" phase, and then past...I counted calories straight into an eating disorder. </strong> If you think it's age (which is likely...I just watched a mini-movie on this, actually), the best ways to counteract are to focus on eating more produce whole grains.  But don't eat too little - you will send yourself into starvation mode, and your body will start clinging on to what you eat!!!
    Posted by PrincessJas[/QUOTE]

<div>That was me as well. I stopped for a number of years while I recovered and have recently started again because without it I have trouble even just maintaining my weight. I pretty much destroyed my metabolism. </div><div>
    </div><div>I'd suggest possibly just tracking what you eat, not necessarily the calories though. Just write down the things you put into your mouth so you can see where you need to make adjustments. Do you also work out regularly? </div>
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited August 2012
    Hi there!!!  
    I am a holistic health coach who works with brides on getting in shape for their wedding the healthy way, without crash dieting or calorie counting.  
    It sounds like you're trying some good strategies to lose weight, but I see that there are a few things getting in the way.  Hormone levels definitely affect weight loss, and what we eat affects our hormone levels.  Sugar and starches are one of the worst things for hormonal balance because they cause your blood sugar to spike throwing everything out of balance.  You want to make sure you are getting some protein with every meal/snack.  Also, watch the beans - they can be difficult to digest and cause bloating.  Maybe try going without beans and see how you feel.  It's important to be eating each day though  don't cut out meals because that can cause your metabolism to slow.  Also, we are all unique and what works for one person might not work for the next.

Feel free to check out my blog/website for more information on the health and on my Blssful Bride program.
    Be well!

• It is!  I've never had trouble losing weight before, but now- ugh!  I've been too long out of the routine of exercising (due, initially to injuries) and now it's hard to get back into it! 

Every time I actually make a good choice, the negativity creeps in about why in heck I didn't just keep up the good choices to begin with!  Ah well- my new mantra is "at least I'm doing it now..."  Gotta start somewhere!

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards