Getting in Shape
Options

Needing Advice.

Over the last few months I've gained a bit of weight (about 20 pounds - which is a lot for my 5 foot height) I put my deposit down on my dress and will be getting finally measured on September 23rd-ish. I just had shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago, leading to mare weight gain, due to how immobile I am. Can anyone recommend a good long term diet? I know it should be paired with exercise, but for right now thats not too much of an option. In the next few months I will slowly be able to start exercising again, but until then I would like to start on a diet. Any suggestions? What worked for you? 
November 2011 Siggy Challenge - February - Venue

Photobucket
Daisypath Wedding tickers
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Needing Advice.

• Options

Yes.  Sign up for my daily plate. Put in your age/height/weight/etc and activity level.  If you are uable to do much activity, they have options for low activity or no activity.  And put how many lbs you want to lose per week and just eat as many calories as it tells you to.  If you eat too less then your body goes into starvation mode and you hold onto excess fat.. and if you eat too much, you will gain excess fat.. so when you choose your foods choose lots of lean protein, some whole wheat carbs, and fruits and veggies.. plenty of them... and drink lots of water.. and go from there

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Weight Watchers is the only diet plan that's worked for me. It's nice because it does teach you how to eat for the long term, but it also doesn't have any off limit food - you just need to balance, portion, and be aware of what you're eating. I do it online, and it's worked.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Diet-wise, I'd start with FitDay, the Daily Plate, or Spark People. But you CAN work out. Talk to your doctor about a feasible exercise plan. I work with orthopedic surgeons and people of all ages and sizes find ways to keep in shape after surgery. My 67-year-old aunt had a total knee replacement and got in better shape during rehab than she was before! Shoulder surgery has fewer limitations than you would think.
  • Options
    I've lost 125 lbs. and have managed to keep it off for about 3 years now. All I do is make healthier choices...I eat lots of veggies and fruit, choosing whole wheat pastas, and I try to avoid cream-based sauces and dressings and replace with an alternative such as lemon juice or marinas over alfredos. In addition I exercise daily. Some days I'll do a full 30 minute exercise, and when I have more time I'll go for a 45 min run. Long term weight loss is really a good balance between healthy eating and exercise. Anyway, hope that helped. Good luck!
  • Options
    Also I bought a pedometer that calculates calories, distance, steps etc.

It is an alternative to the Nike+ which eventually I want to get one.. this one was cheap and at target and can be a good motivator for you.. see how many calories or how far you run on your current walks/runs... and if you are pleased with the results, then continue with that.. if you notice you thought you were running 5 miles but really it's only 3 miles, then you can see.. and work up to your goal
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards