Getting in Shape
Options

a Lil Help please

Hello all.....I am engaged to be marry next year so I have a lil more than 1yr to lose about 60lbs....Now here;s the issue... I dnt know what type of diet to do...plus just thinking about planning the wedding I get so stress and I get the munchies since we got engaged 2/9/11 I have gain more weight.....
Any one has any good diets tips or diets that I can research............

Thank YOu for your Help
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: a Lil Help please

• Options
    You should figure out your BMR by going here and using this calculator:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Then take that number and use the Harris Benedict equation to figure the amount of calories you need daily to maintain your weight:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Once you have that number you can calculate the # of calories (over 1200) that you need to lose weight.  3500 calories is about a pound so typically people do a deficit of 500 calories.

Also, make sure the calories you eat count nutritionally.  Lots of greens, lean protein, healthy fats, and water..water..water.

Hop on a free site light SparkPeople and log all your food.  it's been great for helping keep me accountable and in the eating/calorie range i need to be.

Exercise is great!  Whatever you can do.  i truly believe it help facilitate more effective weight loss.

Good Luck!  And questions, we're here for you.
  • Options
    I definitely recommend (like Anna) using an app/website like SparkPeople or MyFitnessPal - I use fitness pal and it's really been helpful. You do have to be honest about everything you eat and be conscious of portion sizes - but it will help you!

I have been able to lose 2 pounds a week (I have a total weight loss goal of 60 pounds also) by monitoring my eating and keeping my calories at or below 1450 (never below 1200) every day. I am also doing C25K (couch to 5K) and weights 3 times per week.

You can so do this! Start telling yourself no more excuses - I used to blame school, work, planning, etc. for over-eating and not exercising, but I had to realize that it's only me that's in between me and my goals.

I also recommend joining in on the daily accountability boards we have here on GIS, for me it is a source of motivation on days when I just don't feel like eating right or exercising!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks Girls I just enrolled to MyfitnessPAl to help me track my calories....and I will be heading to see my Dr to see what he recommends :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you want to be friends on MyFitnessPal you can add me -my username is smiller52

Best of luck to you!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Try the Paleo diet. It's a diet that consists of things that paleolithic man could find and eat. so large amounts of protein and vegetables, no processed carbohydrates (bread,  cereal, etc) but you can have some rice and potatoes, fruit, and no refined sugar (no granulated sugar, but you can have honey). 

You will be amazed at the amount of energy you feel and how quickly the pounds melt away. The main thing is to stay away from carbs including whole grains, and you have to make sure to get good amounts of saturated fats. Saturated fats are the key to losing weight.  Be careful though, not all saturated fats are great for you. Try to eat animal based fats like lard, talo, butter, and things like olive and peanut oil. I cut down my carbs to less than 100g a day and tripled the USDA's estimate of how much saturated fats we are suppose to eat and lost weight quickly without starving. When I switched to a paleo diet and with moderate exercise lost 10lbs in a month. 

oh and please watch the movie "Fat Head", it talks about how a diet avoiding all processed grains and refinded sugars can dramatically improve your health and help you lose weight. 

i hope this helps! Laughing
  • Options
    I honestly think "diets" are overated. I've tried so many of them and when it comes down to it, the key to losing weight is just excersising more and eating less junk and eating more healthier foods!! Do this and the weight will come off! I think sometimes we dont even realize half the foods we put into our mouths each day, so I totally suggest keeping a food diary for a few weeks. Then go back and you'll see...that little chocolate at the office or muffin here and there all are extra calories that add up fast! I lost 8 pounds for my wedding and all I did was step up the excersise from 2-3 times a week to 3-4 times a week for 40 minutes and I cut out all fried foods, pastas, fast foods, candy, chocolate etc.  It was hard the first few weeks ( i really missed my chocolate covered almonds lol) but then I felt so much lighter and healthier I just kept going and it was easy. I still ate TONES but just healthy foods ( whole grains, protein, salads, fruits) and always let myself have a treat once a week!
    Good luck, I'm rooting for you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree with the "no diet" thinking...because the moment I get overstressed, I eat something that I've been avoiding.  Moderation is key and those times that you're feeling stressed, try to find something else to turn to instead of eatting, like going for a walk/run.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards