Getting in Shape
Options

Losing weight.. for myself and FI

Weight loss has been on my mind a lot lately and it's about time my FI and I do something about it. My personal goal is to lose 10lbs of fat (off my back and stomach of course) but have a question re my FI.

To what extent should I help him with his goal of losing 30lbs (wedding is in August 2013)? I want to make sure that he's excercising but don't want to become a burden to him.

Has anyone else been in this situation that can provide suggestions? Recipe and excersie tips always welcome as well! 

Thank you!

Re: Losing weight.. for myself and FI

• Options
    Bottom line is that HE has to do it. Working out together and making healthy food choices will help, but ultimately he has to want it himself.

My ex husband was all about 'trying' to lose weight. Only it's never happened. He always talks about how much he needs to lose, but that's where it ends. When we were together I was at my heaviest, and decided to do something about it. I asked him to walk with me, but even that never happened. He bought an expensive cardio machine that he's never set foot on. Right now I'd guess that he's well over 400lbs. He knows he 'should' do it, but isn't in the mindset, and until he is, no one is going to change his mind.

Basicaly, my advice is to offer to be active together and to cook better meals, but he's the only one who can decide to do this. You make and commit to your goal, and hopefully he'll decide to join in.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with Jenny - be encouraging, offer to go do activities with him and cook healthy meals together!

My husband hates going to the gym, but because I go 5-6 days a week he ends up coming with me sometimes. He saw how much I like body combat and he comes 1-2 times a week with me now. It really is about supporting eachother, and you should lead by example.
  • Options
    alheuralheur member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! 

It's a little difficult because I used to be at a comfortable weight and when we moved in together (May), my eating habits met his, and we've both gained. I initially felt like it was my idea, not his, to get back into shape. But this morning I woke up to a note with his new diet and exercise goals.

I'll take that as a good start! Thanks guys :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_losing-weight-for-myself-and-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:988a2721-6771-49f0-a9ba-f889912e1048Post:4e03adec-8187-43fe-b483-c2e5bb3729f4">Re: Losing weight.. for myself and FI</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Bottom line is that HE has to do it. Working out together and making healthy food choices will help, but ultimately he has to want it himself</strong>. My ex husband was all about 'trying' to lose weight. Only it's never happened. He always talks about how much he needs to lose, but that's where it ends. When we were together I was at my heaviest, and decided to do something about it. I asked him to walk with me, but even that never happened. He bought an expensive cardio machine that he's never set foot on. Right now I'd guess that he's well over 400lbs. He knows he 'should' do it, but isn't in the mindset, and until he is, no one is going to change his mind. Basicaly, my advice is to offer to be active together and to cook better meals, but he's the only one who can decide to do this. You make and commit to your goal, and hopefully he'll decide to join in. Good luck!
    Posted by jennylee813[/QUOTE]

Agreed completely. The roles were reversed with my fiance and I. He was genuinely worried about my health since I was overweight (I'm still in the overweight category, but at the time I was obese, which I still hate admitting). Everytime he brought it up, I resented the hell out of it and got upset with him. Until I found my own motivation and decided I wanted it more than the food and more than sitting around all day. Once that happened, I was fine with discussing it with him. Now I work out more and eat better than he does.

We did find things we enjoy doing together as previously mentioned. We started signing up for 5k's and have a blast doing them together. We go for walks, take the dogs for walks, go on bike rides, and play frisbee golf.
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was in the same situation with my fianc but once he started with Advocare and did the 24 day challenge and saw how much weight he lost and it motivated him to lose even more. Look at www.Advocare.com/120433477, The 24 day challenge gives you everything you need to lose 10 to 24 pounds. Our wedding is June 2013 and I myself lost over 40 pounds with Advocare and know that we will both lose another 20 prior to then:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards