Getting in Shape
Options

Elliptical vs. Treadmill?

Does using an elliptical at medium/high intensity give you as good of a work out as running/jogging on a treadmill?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Elliptical vs. Treadmill?

• Options
    edited December 2011

Ellipticals tend to be more of a low-impact exercise than the treadmill, which is great for people who have had prior injuries or surgeries. Treadmills tend to jar the body, whereas with the elliptical, your feet are stationary on pedals. If you're just getting into a workout routine, the elliptical is a great starting point.

For me personally, I prefer the treadmill, as I am training for my first half marathon, and I don't like how the pedals on the elliptical tend to make my feet go numb after about 15 minutes.

25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    I feel like I get a better workout on the treadmill.  Its also better for me for race training.  A few miles on the elliptical at manual vs. manual on the treadmill are a big difference IMO.  I have a similar issue to mehgank that my feet tend to go numb on the elliptical.  Overall, it all depends on what you are looking for in a workout and what is most comfortable for you.
  • Options
    I have issues with my ankles so the treadmill is very hard for me to use. I can't go very long on it without a lot of pain. I'm just worried I'm not accomplishing much by using the elliptical though :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_elliptical-vs-treadmill-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:9cad6d39-58f6-4fde-95ad-e4d9b354822ePost:30b427bc-c13d-4cf4-b314-d148b6179cb1">Re: Elliptical vs. Treadmill?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have issues with my ankles so the treadmill is very hard for me to use. I can't go very long on it without a lot of pain. I'm just worried I'm not accomplishing much by using the elliptical though :(
    Posted by maribeth721[/QUOTE]

<div>Like I said, it all depends on what you want to get out of your work out.  The elliptical IS a good workout, but for someone like me who runs races, I'd rather be running to train then use the elliptical.  I occasionally cross train with the elliptical and often with the cross ramp which is pretty similar.</div>
  • Options
    Personally, I like the elliptical better. I have less pain when I use it. I put the resistance up on it to make it harder. I wear a HRM and get just as good as a burn on it as the treadmill. But that's only with the resistance.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    I have joint pain so I'm not able to "run" at all - so I feel I get a better workout overall using the Elliptical than walking on a treadmill.

I likewise have the feet numbing experience, but i've learned a couple of tricks to minimize it while working out.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_elliptical-vs-treadmill-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:9cad6d39-58f6-4fde-95ad-e4d9b354822ePost:714ed244-a34b-42ab-b028-c8326b313862">Re: Elliptical vs. Treadmill?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have joint pain so I'm not able to "run" at all - so I feel I get a better workout overall using the Elliptical than walking on a treadmill. I likewise have the feet numbing experience,<strong> but i've learned a couple of tricks to minimize it while working out.</strong>
    Posted by entropicbeauty[/QUOTE]

<div>Do tell.  This would make my cross training days MUCH better :)</div>
  • Options
    A treadmill gives me the best natural running form, so I definitely prefer it over an elliptical. I think treadmills are better for cardio and weight-bearing exercise.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    With ANY piece of cardio equipment, you're going to get out of it what you put into it.  So will 30 minutes of steady state dinking around on the elliptical be a better workout than 30 minutes of good running on the treadmill?  Probably not.

But you can up the intensity--do some HIIT.  Do some hills.  Go backwards.  The elliptical can absolutely be a good workout--and if you can't use a treadmill, or it causes you pain, then of course something where you can workout harder/without pain is going to be better fo ryou.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_elliptical-vs-treadmill-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:9cad6d39-58f6-4fde-95ad-e4d9b354822ePost:b014130a-7deb-456c-89d3-a62e5ce72557">Re: Elliptical vs. Treadmill?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Elliptical vs. Treadmill? : My elliptical flips out on my when I try to go backwards. Is going backwards a good workout? I always assumed it wasn't b/c my machine starts beeping and flash across the screen with: "Your stride is in the wrong direction. Please take a moment to switch your footing." Then beeps until I start going forward...
    Posted by AshnRobo[/QUOTE]

I've never had an elliptical do that.  It just works the muscles differently and is a good way to change it up.  I'd never do it for a whole workout, but it's nice to throw it in every once in awhile.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_elliptical-vs-treadmill-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:9cad6d39-58f6-4fde-95ad-e4d9b354822ePost:f2729415-85db-4410-aaf0-9f149d76d1d7">Re: Elliptical vs. Treadmill?</a>:
    [QUOTE]With ANY piece of cardio equipment, you're going to get out of it what you put into it.  So will 30 minutes of steady state dinking around on the elliptical be a better workout than 30 minutes of good running on the treadmill?  Probably not. But you can up the intensity--do some HIIT.  Do some hills.  <strong>Go backwards.</strong>  The elliptical can absolutely be a good workout--and if you can't use a treadmill, or it causes you pain, then of course something where you can workout harder/without pain is going to be better fo ryou.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

My elliptical flips out on my when I try to go backwards. Is going backwards a good workout? I always assumed it wasn't b/c my machine starts beeping and flash across the screen with: "Your stride is in the wrong direction. Please take a moment to switch your footing." Then beeps until I start going forward...
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who get numb feet on the elliptical. I thought there was something wrong with me!

I prefer the treadmill for the reason. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards