Getting in Shape
Options

Starvation Mode

Re: Starvation Mode

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Was that written by the same person, thats absolutely stupid. It almost seems like theyre promoting eating 500cal a day because you WILL lose weight and starvation mode doesnt exist (but it does exist, but it doesnt, but it does, but its a myth). Load of tripe is what I say.
  • Options
    Yeah, I prefer my articles with lots of references I can go check out to get the real story.

They neglect to mention how a severly reduced caloric intake basically makes you an idiot because your brain can't function.

I do agree with the fact that while in true "starvation mode" you can't gain weight (unless you cave and binge while you've got that reduced metabolic rate)
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Raynes, you can see the references for the WW article if you scroll down to the bottom of the page.

• Options
    I don't understand why people are so convinced that there is a quick way to lose weight. Nobody can live on a 500 calorie a day diet forever and when you stop the weight will come back on...ask super models and most famous actresses...you know when you see them on the cover of magazines and they look about 15 pounds heavier than in another shot taken months before...that is because they can't maintain the crazy diets they have to follow to keep their weight as low as they appear on TV/movies...so boom, they pack on the pounds...these are people who have chefs to cook healthy meals for them and trainers to work out with for a couple hours a day...even they can't keep it up...

There are no tricks to weight loss. There is no magic pill. The 'Biggest Loser' plan isn't feasible in the real world and it doesn't last because it can't be maintained. You can only lose weight permanently if you change your lifestyle. It isn't about what you do for the 7 months leading up to your wedding. It is about how you eat for the rest of your life. It is about how active you are for the rest of your life.  That is the trick: eat well and exercise. 

Done rant.  I scanned the articles, they weren't really worth more than that.
  • Options
    I find the WW article interesting, considering my personal experience with them.  I didn't lose a single pound in 3 months of points counting, and didn't renew when my trial period was up.  I started eating 'normally' and going by what felt right to my body, and I lost 5 lbs in less than a month.  I then proceeded to lose 15 more lbs over 5 or 6 months after that. 

I agree that it's a load of BS to say starvation mode doesn't exist.  I ate 1200-1400 calories per day for the past year and didn't lose a damn thing.  I started eating more (1500-1700, or more depending on how much I'm burning at the gym that day), and I've dropped 5 lbs in a month and a half. 
  • Options
    It's interesting to get different perspectives on this, which is exactly why I posted.

If any other posters have links to scientific articles to further explore this topic, I'd definitely be interested in reading them!

• Options
    I also think that a huge part of what is 'out there' is created because the weight loss industry is a huge money making market. 

I don't think anything makes me more frustrated than to read a magazine like Shape or Self...sure there are good tips for exercising and nutrition but then there are about six bazillion ads for pills that can make you lose weight.

I am so wary of anything that claims to have figured out a better way to lose weight because in 99% of those cases the way is related to a product or service that needs to be purchased and will somehow miraculously solve my weight issues.

The only things that will really solve my weight issues are time and will power. 
  • Options
    Why the heck do they call a 500 calorie diet a "diet" they already came up with a name for it, it's called "anorexia".
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_starvation-mode?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:9cd5a28d-7e1a-49fd-af5a-3f4007a3d0a2Post:d3e3b689-8ef7-46a9-9230-14ba68b48eb7">Re: Starvation Mode</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why the heck do they call a 500 calorie diet a "diet" they already came up with a name for it, it's called "anorexia".
    Posted by tinydancer842[/QUOTE]

hahaha!  So true!
  • Options
    A lot of what I see about 'starvation mode' seems so wrong.  I do think the WW article makes a good point that lots of people forget... if you eat too few calories, you will still lose weight, just not as fast as you'd expect.  I've heard people say they gained weight because they didn't eat enough.  This is simply not possible.  If you gained weight from eating too little, then how would people starve to death?  How would people with anorexia not be overweight?  Take it from someone who used to eat about 600 calories a day (yes, I had an eating disorder), you will still lose weight, but it will not be healthy or good, and you will feel like crap all the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards