Getting in Shape

Walking/Jogging, What can I do with my Arms?

Hey everyone! I've been walking and jogging about 2 miles every afternoon after work downtown, but i want to tone my arms some. Should I walk with dumbp-bells? Any other sugguestions?

Re: Walking/Jogging, What can I do with my Arms?

• edited March 2012
    I have some light weights that strap onto my hand that way I don't have to worry about dropping them. I got them at Target for less than $10 I think.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker unnamed LilySlim Weight loss tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Dumbbell workouts are good, and there's also resistance bands.  Or, you could go the old-fashioned route and do push-ups.  Depending on how you position your hands, you can tone different muscles in your arms.  http://www.livestrong.com/article/414382-will-pushups-tone-flabby-arms/
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_walkingjogging-what-can-i-do-with-my-arms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:a084f878-9843-4222-96cf-ef6634de0fc8Post:d1f5df1b-9908-4623-904d-fbead14c403a">Re: Walking/Jogging, What can I do with my Arms?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have some light weights that strap onto my hand that way I don't have to worry about dropping them. I got them at Target for less than $10 I think.
    Posted by rmo57536[/QUOTE]

These actually aren't the best.  They throw off your center of gravity, make it harder to properly pump your arms to help move yourself forward, and can contribute to injury.

OP, you're better off just doing a separate strength training workout.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_walkingjogging-what-can-i-do-with-my-arms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:a084f878-9843-4222-96cf-ef6634de0fc8Post:fe0cd28e-dda4-4b82-a804-6a525ad5f817">Re: Walking/Jogging, What can I do with my Arms?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Walking/Jogging, What can I do with my Arms? : These actually aren't the best.  They throw off your center of gravity, make it harder to properly pump your arms to help move yourself forward, and can contribute to injury. OP, you're better off just doing a separate strength training workout.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

This - while you want to multi-task its just not a natural movement.  Pushups, dips and hand weight workouts don't take long. 
  • I agree that it's probably best to just do an entirely different routine for arms; however, if you really want to incorporate them into your walk/jog I recommend resistance bands. They are light and while you jog you can just leave it hanging around your neck. While you're walking there are lots of arm exercises you can do with resistance bands, I did a program called walk off weight last summer that used resistance bands while walking and they were definitely good arm exercises.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Something that you can do, 

use a superband,  they are pretty sick and you can get a full body workout with it,  especially hitting your arms,  and you could put it in your pocket or around your neck,  or tie around your waist!  I do that when I go joggin around Central Park with a client.  

Then I find a tree,  or use myself to anchor it,  and you should do band pulls, pushes(kind of like a standing up push up)
    you can do upright rows, or bicep curls,  overhead press, all these target the arms shoulder back and chest.  Perfect for what you're looking to do,  

I buy mine at perform better.   Their site is confuzing as sh*t, so i'll include a link,  I'd buy the lightest one,  its a half inch.  

Check em out, and no I don't work for these guys,  but I do get A LOT of my equip from them.

All the best,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards