Getting in Shape
Options

High intensity interval training

I found this article on my local news page today:
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100225/interval_training_100225/20100225/?hub=TorontoNewHome

What do you think? Do you do HIIT (high intensity interval training)?

Re: High intensity interval training

• Options
    I do intervals on the bike, elliptical and treadmill, I guess you can classify them under HIIT.  On the bike and elliptical I usually do 1 minute HI, one minute recovery.  The bike actually has a program for that, but i have to do it manually on the treadmill and elliptical.  I normally do about 1.5 mins sprinting, 1.5 recovery for the treadmill, and I gradually ramp up the speed, too.  I'll start with a warm up walk/jog, then start my sprints at 5.4 mph (I'm a slowww runner), and increase by .2 each time.  It usually puts me around 7, 7.5 mph after 25 mins. 

I think it's great exercise, but it's definitely not for everyone.  I'm not a long distance runner, and 45 mins on the treadmill at one pace bores me to tears (if I could do it), so it helps keep me interested in the routine. 
  • Options
    Me too! I try to switch up my cardio routine...but lately I have been soing something similar to iamjoesgurl. Run for 30 seconds at 7.0, then 30 seconds at 7.5, then 30 seconds at 8.0...then I walk for a minute. I was surprised to see that the article said you should slow down for 4 minutes (I think that's what it said?). I woild also like to know a good running interval routine.
    Photobucket Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't tried them yet, but will be soon (they're incorporated into Stage 2 of NROL4W).  I've heard sooooo many good things about HIIT from many different sources.

One of my favourite sources stated it this way.  Evolutionarily speaking, humans evolved not as long distance runners, but as sprinters.  Thinking about what would be needed back in caveman days, it was much more important to be able to have an instant burst of speed (say to get away from some predator, or catch some prey) than to be able to run long distances.

As for a treadmill program, it's very specific to the person.  Your high intensity periods should be about as fast as you can possibly go, while your recovery should be a moderate walk.

Check this link for more info and a video.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Raynes...that is very interesting! I don't see a link to click on...can you post it again? THANKS!
  • Options
    Has anyone ever heard of Body For Life? They integrate HIIT with strength training and it is an amazing program. It's not for everyone, however, as it's really intense. The most I've every been able to do is 3 weeks of it before getting worn out. But it will shape you up!

-- Thoughts become things, choose the good ones! --

• Options
    The words "this link" are, uh, linked.
  • Options
    OH! Sorry...new to this!
  • Options
    That's ok!  I'll try to remember to underline links in the future!
  • Options
    I do these but I disagree with the doctor you stated: "..shouldn't be an all out effort:" I think you do go all out to reap the benefits to get the best workout. JMO
  • Options
    Raynes...that was very helpful! I also don't think I slowed down enough...usually I do 4.0 but i can probably go a little slower. And you know what...I'm going to do this on the treadmill right now! Thanks for making me motivavted! LOL!
  • Options
    My trainer gave me this HIIT for the treadmill:
    Set at moderate incline- just 2
    Warm up fast walk (3.5-3.8) 2 mins
    Jog (4.5) 2 mins
    Sprint all out as fast as you can (for me it's 8.9) for 30 secs
    Jog (4.5) 2 mins
    Sprint 30 secs
    etc...for 20 mins
    MANDATORY 5 minute cool down, end with walk, bring heart rate down to rest
    STRETCH to get those long lean muscles (and to avoid soreness)

I LOVE it, I totally get that "runner's high" about halfway through.  You can adjust it and make the rest periods longer or slower or whatever works for you.  I add about 20-30 mins weight training before or after and man, the results are awesome!
  • Options
    I do sprints on the treadmill, but nothing close to as fast as Joe's girl.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I do what I call pyramids on the treadmill...mind you, I don't run very fast at all but they look like this

4 mph - 1 min
    5 mph - 1 min
    6 mph - 1 min
    5 mph - 1 min
    4 mph - 1 min
    5 mph - 2 min
    6 mph - 2 min
    5 mph - 2 min
    4 mph - 1 min 

And I repeat this three times for a 30 minute run/walk...

I also do what I call 'mountains' which look like this

5 mph - 1 min
    5.2 mph - 1 min
    5.4 mph - 1 min
    5.6 mph - 1 min
    5.8 mph - 1 min
    6 mph - 1 min

And I repeat this 5 times for a 30 minute run.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards