Getting in Shape

Eating clean-er?

So I've been a bit inspired by all of the discussions with people who have decided to start eating clean.  I ate a lot 'cleaner' if you will the last two weeks, and LOVED it.  Now, after a jelly bean overload/sugar-induced headache at work, I'm thinking I want in.  My only hesitation is spending a ton of money to make all necessary food replacements. 

My dinners are currently entirely homemade, and my snacks are already fruit and almonds (I cut out pretzels about two weeks ago.)  The only things that I can think of that are still processed are my Chobani vanilla yogurt (which I eat for lunch every day), plain cheerios (for breakfast and sometimes after dinner snack), and lactose-free milk (slightly less processed than normal because we get it from the local farm.)  Any easy alternative recommendations for these?  What do you guys eat for dessert?
Also, any other ingredients or things that I might be forgetting about, or are more processed than I realize?

Thanks!
Anniversary

Re: Eating clean-er?

• Cheerios- just swap for their whole grain for now (check the fiber count, and the ingredients to be sure.. I'm not sure what Cheerios consists of since I don't eat them). Then you can slowly swap that for something even more wholegrain/less processed like Grapenuts, and then maybe you just don't touch and of the grains at some point. 

Yogurt- Just read the labels, honestly. All yogurts will have pasterized milk in them, but you can get the yogurts that just have three ingredients... Honestly, Chobani is more expensive than many other brands so you can probably save money on this one as well. (example: Mountain High Nonfat plain yogurt has TWO ingredients. The pasterized milk and pectin. Perfect.) 
    I haven't given up my nonfat greek yogurt because I know that the probiotics are great for the system, so while it's processed in that it has pasterized milk in it, it's not processed in the way that it has horrible additives. 

As for desserts... idk.. I don't have them often.. I usually go chocolate, but we like the dark stuff so it's "better" . I don't have a crazy sweet tooth if I just.. don't have the stuff in the house. 

I'm not sure what else you could be forgetting. 
    -Do you ever by premixed spices, gravy mixes, etc? Because those often have a bunch of added stuff, iincluding sugar. So if you make chili, season it yourself with all your individual spices, rather than buying the package seasoning. 
    - What breads do you eat? Because anything you buy at the store has SOME refined grains in them.. unless you're buying that block of rye at the bottom shelf.. haha. Have you started baking with alternative flours like almond and quinoa? 
    -Do you used dried or canned beans? I only use dried. It takes longer, but go to your cupboard and read your pinto/kidney beans cans. They usually have sugar added. 

... can't think of anything else at the moment.. Just stay away from the frozen foods aisle!! ;) haha
  • thanks firsttimers!

I love cereal in the morning - so think I'll have to research some good alternatives.  I haven't tried grapenuts in years, and wasn't a fan, but might give them a shot again.

I'll check the yogurts out at the grocery this week.  I have mild lactose intolerance, so the greek ones tend to bother me a bit less, but I'll have to sample some of the 'minimalist' ones and see how they settle.

I was thinking a square of Trader Joe's dark chocolate for dessert (dessert is a nightly event in our house.)  If only I didn't have a killer sweet tooth...you're so lucky!

We don't use really any mixes.  I'll have to probably start making more of my own stocks, which we rarely make now. 
    I don't eat bread regularly, I just have homemade granola with fruit, yogurt, and almonds for lunch these days.  I count the cheerios as my bread splurge, I guess.  After a long day at work, I'll treat myself to a Trader Joe's sourdough roll - which might be once a month at this point.  I haven't swaped out flours yet, but try to use King Arthur's whole wheat flour.
    I have canned chickpeas regularly right now - might have to look into that.  The only other beans we have are usually in the winter for chili, so I can easily swap to the dried.  Thanks for that reminder!
    Anniversary
  • If you want an alternative for breakfast have you tried Shakeology?  It's an all-natural meal repalcement shake, but some people have it as a snack as well.  I drink it for brealfast every morning cuz its easy to take with me as I rush out the door.  Here is some more info on it if you'd like....

www.myshakeology.com/dee926
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks, dee, but I am not a fan of drinking my meals.  I like to eat :)  Plus, FI and I always make sure to leave time to sit down and have breakfast in the morning.
    Anniversary
  • Yeeeeah.. Not a fan of replacements and She is wanting to eat clean. Shakeology isn't considered "clean" with the additives. 

Yeah grapenuts is definitely something that I acquired the taste for.. not the best tasting thing to begin with, although they do make different types now so that's something to look into. 
    haha I'm too lazy to make my own stocks so I just don't good with them.. :P *fail* 

Try the Mountain High.. I think it will be your best bet and still sit better on your tummy :) 

Yessss do the dark chocolate squares.. mmmmm............
  • Egg Whites are a good alternative to cereal too and are a cinch to make in the AM....and full of protein so you'll stay full.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2012
    It is okay to have heavy deserts as long as it is in moderation. I've found that eating slower and allowing the flavor to melt in your mouth allow you to enjoy your desert more. You also eat a lot less than you think you'll want!

ex. I allow myself to have 1 spoonful of Nutella and enjoy them slowly while I watch TV. I make sure to put the bottle back in the cabinet in the kitchen after I scooped that spoonful so I would get too lazy to go get another spoonful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks, Megan.  I am not a Nutella fan, but do agree that a small rich dessert is nice sometimes.

Day 1 is going well (yes, I realize it's only 8:30.)  I had shredded wheat for breakfast (two ingredients!), and didn't hate it.  FI and I are going to the store after work, so I'm going to keep an eye out for Mountain High yogurt - thanks for the rec!
    Anniversary
  • If you like the Chobani you could try just plain greek yogurt (I use Greek Gods) and swirl in a tsp. of honey, chopped walnuts, and chopped fruit or berries for a snack or lunch accompaniment. I also use the plain greek stuff for salad dressings! It's easy because it's really one ingredient but can be used for sweet and savory dishes. I've also used it with tuna as a mayo sub and it's pretty tasty.

I know you're a fan of cereals too and I'm not sure what your time crunch for breakfast is like but I've used plain brown rice cakes, sliced banana, and a nut butter for breakfast (quick and easy) or rolled oats that you can make overnight: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/overnight_oatmeal.html

I don't know if you're a fan of rolled oats, but this is another route you could take too and there are all kinds of recipes.

One last one... and this is one I recently did and am loving it: I've been using avocado as a spread instead of butter on toast. You get the creamy texture of silkiness of the "butter" but all the good fats. I'm not a big fan of putting peanut butter on toast, but this rocks! I've had it on whole grain bread with scrambled egg whites, spinach, and a bowl of fruit. Great weekend breakfast!
    imageimage

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

• I am by no means a clean eating authority but I am trying to incorporate more into my diet.  Yesterday I bought an issue of Eating Clean magazine at Barnes and Noble.  It's very inspirational, has great looking recipes and gives a lot of recommended brands to buy.  Tonight I'm gonna make one of their recipes- Chile shrimp tacos.  :)
  • I still eat dessert.  I just have to make my own.  I still  bake.  But with whole wheat flour and agave.

Every clean eater has their definition.

I eat meat still.  Even red meat.  Some clean eaters don't.
    I eat wheat.  But, whole wheat only, and I buy my bread from a bakery so I know there aren't any preservatives. 

I talk about clean eating in my blog quite often.  Link in sig. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards