Getting in Shape

Working out with your FH?

Has anyone started training with their future husband?  I started working out with mine about 8 weeks ago.  I meet him at the gym 2-3x/week.  He helps me with my upper body, arms, and back.  I do cardio on the other evenings as well as the mornings prior to the evening workouts.  I think it's a great way for us to hold each other accountable to get in shape for our wedding.  He also has a lot of fun when he puts me on machines and weights where I struggle at first, but can push through.  I can see that I am getting stronger.  He is a great motivator...that's for sure.

Something to try?

Re: Working out with your FH?

• I hate working out with my fiance, or any friend for that matter. I'm not overweight at all, but for some reason I just don't like being around people I know when I work out. Just my weird preference :)

My fiance will make comments to me about how proud he is that I'm sticking to my workout plan or say that he's happy I'm happy with my progress, but beyond that, I don't like him being involved in my exercise, ha.
  • I'm looking forward to working out with my H.  He's finally decided to hop on the wagon himself so we can watch tv while I walk/run on the treadmill and he can hit up the exercise bike.  I'm hoping to finally introduce him to the awesomeness of weights as well.
  • H and I work out together every once in awhile, and it's fine when we do, but I prefer to workout alone.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • The one time I invited FI to work out with me, he goofed off during the warm up (making fun of hip circles) and quit about 3 minutes in to the actual work out. 

I do like taking walks with him though!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI and I work out at the same gym, but not together.  I do my thing and he does his.  I work with a Personal Trainer 3 times a week, but when I do cardio I am like PP, I like to work out alone.

• How fun! me anf my Fiance are starting jan 2nd and we are doind the insanity dvd program and eating healthier. i also do body wraps at my job and detox for me until july i will have to have my fiance as my partner in health! :)
    good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • I hate working out with my fiance because our work out interests are so different! He likes long distance running and I have an old knee injury so I cannot run long distances. I like working out with my personal trainer three times a week and the rest I like to do alone. I do weight training with my personal training and very minimal cardio and some weight training alone.
  • When H and I were on the same work schedule (and we will be again in 2 weeks), we go to the gym together, but generally do our own thing.  I think the best part about it is that we are accountable to each other to actually get down there. 

Once we're both there though, we like doing different things because we have different training goals.  I usually do circuit training (15 minute intervals of cardio then weights) whereas my H normally does full workouts of cardio/weights on varying days.
    Anniversary
  • FI and I go to the gym together 3-4 times per week, we do our stretching together and start cardio together but he hates weightlifting so when I stop cardio to do weightlifting he just does cardio for longer.

I love going to the gym with him because we both keep eachother motivated.
  • I would love to go to the gym with H more often, but we work slightly different schedules.  I could get to the gym at 4pm, but he wouldn't get there until around 6.  He could come home after work and then we could go together, but by then neither of us feels like going back out again.  So we try to go together on weekends, but we're usually so busy that we don't have time.  I definitely want a home gym someday.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • We go to the gym together 3ish times a week.  Sometimes we cycle next to each other, but that's about the extend of our "togetherness."  I do nearly all of my strength training at home (I mostly just use free weights or body weight stuff) and mostly run at home too- so the gym is basically for crosstraining for me.  He ONLY works out at the gym, so he's alllll around the place, while I'm either at the pool or on the cardio deck.

We're both pretty competitive, so when we do cycle or something beside each other it's always a great workout.  I love to workout with him, we just have different schedules we stick to.
  • Heck no! We can't work out together. I do an intense bootcamp three times a week, and he doesn't work out at all. The few times we've tried, it's never ended well...lol.
  • I would like to work out with my fh, but we have completely opposite schedules.  When the spring semester starts up, he'll be in class during the day, I have class starting at 450pm or 720pm depending on the day.  During the summer we sometimes go biking together, and sometimes I can convince him to go for walks with me.  He doesn't like walking without a destiniation, so getting him to walk through our neighborhood for even 10 minutes can be difficult. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • FI and I met at the gym... so yes.  :-)  He was my Olympic weighlifting coach...

But we don't work out together... we go together and he does his thing and I do mine because we have completely different training programs and goals.
    Counting Down the Days... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I work out with my FI during the weekends. He LOVES the gym and he's been helping me tone up for our big day. He is my motivator. When we first started dating, he helped me lose about 50 lbs. For me, it's also nice to hang out with him there.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards