Getting in Shape
Options

30 day shred....thoughts?

I know a lot about fitness but I'm by no means an expert, so I was hoping someone who is would chime in here. I heard a lot about the 30 day shred and remember reading stuff about it on here awhile ago so I got it a couple days ago and decided to try it. 

I'm wondering, is this workout even safe? or practical? First off, I didn't realize the workouts were only 20 min. long. and I always heard you should exercise at LEAST 30 min a day. Secondly, you are working the same exact muscles everday and after 2 days on level 1, this just doesn't feel right! I am sore, and I can't imagine doing the same exact workout AGAIN the next 8 days..when do my muscles recover? So I was just wondering if there were any experts on this board that could address my concerns and offer their .02! 

I have done p90x and was going to do this before starting p90x again. I feel like I am better off just skipping the 30 day shred. I take my health seriously and just want to stay fit, not looking for a miracle workout. Thinking 30 day shred just isn't for me! 

Re: 30 day shred....thoughts?

• Options
    Most people use the 30DS as a workout supplement and only do it every other day to have recovery time.

I did it straight through and found it excellent regardless of going into most days with a little previous day ache (if I hurt i didn't do it.  Just ache).  I think because it's only 27 minutes (ish) you're really not killing yourself enough to make it impossible to work out the next day as well (obviously this differs person to person).  I do 30DS in addition to my running and stretching.

If you don't like it, don't do it.  But I personally can't imagine doing p90x until I was shape enough to get through 30DS.  That's actually my gameplan for the new year.  Do 30DS again and start p90x again.
  • Options
    I did it everyday for 30 days and I didn't have any problems. I think, like the PP said, since it is such a short workout, you won't really be doing any hard. And also, if you're hurting, then don't do it that day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    The first day after I did level one, I thought I was going to DIE.  I could barely even lift my arms to wash my hair in the shower, and my legs and ass were killing me.  But trust me - stick with it!  You will get stronger!  Even though levels 2 and 3 are more difficult, you don't get as sore as you do when you first start out.

The workouts are safe.  Listen to Jillian - she gives tips on how to do the moves safely and correctly, and she's right. 
    panther
  • Options
    thanks for the input ladies! I think i am just brainwashed by tony horton and p90x. i'm used to working different muscles on different days and he always says 'do your best and forget the rest' but when 30ds is only 20 min you kind of have to give it your all or you wont see results. i'm determined i'm giong to stick with it and see how 30 days of it compares to 90 days of p90x as far as results go :) i'll be back in 4 weeks to post results! :) 
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I didn't see hardly any results from the 30DS. I did Power 90 (the precursor to P90X) and I had amazing results, so I know what you're talking about. Just don't be to surprised or let down if you don't see very many changes after the 30 days.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    I've been doing it on and off so haven't seen results since I haven't been consistent.  But I was very leery of lifting weights every day so I do it every other day.  You can do cardio on the off days. 
  • Options
    30DS isn't really lifting IMO.  It's more like slightly weighted cardio, and you do some simple 'weighted moves' almost more as recovery between the cardio segments.  I didn't see major body transformations like you expect with P90x, but I did notice a marked improvement in endurance, calf tone, and foot strength (my feet cramped so bad initially!).  Instead of doing Level 1 for 10 days, then Level 2, I would do Level 1 for 3-5 days, and then Level 2 for 3-5 days, and Level 3 for 3-5 days, and then rotate through the levels for the remaining days in the month.  This kept things more interesting for me and avoided repeated muscle overuse.

Longer term, I just use 30DS as a filler for days I don't have time to get to the gym and can't afford more than 25 minutes but still want to get the blood moving.  I will say, after 30 days of 30DS, I didn't have any problem when I'd jump into DH's P90x workouts.  I only did Kenpo, Legs, and Abs with him, but I felt very well prepared for those.
  • Options
    I just bought the 30 day shred as well. I wish I had the time to really devote to P90X (which I do own) but I just can't motivate myself to really do the hour long thing in my home. I am much better when I just go to the gym and I don't have any distractions. I will be doing the 30 day shred along with my routine at the gym. Hoping it works well :-)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I recently started the 30 Shred. Day 1 almost killed me. But now, its not so bad. I workout everyother day. I use 2 5lb weights. I have cahnged my eating habits. I eat fruit for breakfast, soup for lunch, small dinner. I am trying to cut out bread. Increase vegetable intake as well as water. I have cut out pops and juice. I feel better. I was 144 when I started 2 weeks ago and now Im 138. I hope this helps
  • Options
    I just finished day 2 of the 30DS and it is intense! I thought I wasn't going to make it through it tonight because my muscles are sore, but I pushed myself and did as much of the workout as I could, which was most of it. I can definitely feel it in my abs tonight, but that means it is working and I'm using muscles I having used in awhile. I have a few of her other DVD's Get Ripped and Extreme workout, so I'm going to see how I make out with the 30DS before I move on to the other DVD's, but I feel they will work, so does mix things up a bit. After reading some of the above I may even try to get to the gym a little more than I have been to get a more intense workout.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards