Getting in Shape
Options

Yoga

I did yoga for the first time this weekend and I see what all of the hype is about - I loved it! I never realized just how much it works your entire body.

I'd like to begin incorporating this into my workout. Should it be done in conjunction with cardio? How often?

I appreciate any help or tips moving forward. :)

Re: Yoga

• Options
    I love yoga too!  I aim to go 3-4 hours a week.  Somedays I do some added cardio (right now, that's mostly walking on the treadmill, I'm trraining for a long charity walk) and somedays I just do the yoga if it's a recovery day for me.  I've noticed a huge change in my strength level! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    What kind are you doing/where are you doing it? I do Kundalini Yoga at a studio with actual yogis, and it is 90 minutes, including meditation. I have, however, done it at my gym in the past, which was 60 minutes, including a 10 minute cool down/rest. I can only do Kundalini once a week and I am SORE for about 2 days afterward.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options

I do yoga at the Y, where I workout.  Most of the yogis teach just one class a week at the Y and work at other studios elsewhere in the city.  Yes, the first time I went I was sore for a week but continued practice helps!  I still get sore shoulders from downward facing dog of all things if I've had other hard workouts.  As I've gotten better and more flexible, it is still hard because I'm constantly challenging my body and working at the higher levels of poses, but I use it as a stretch and recovery from strength training and kickboxing.  Each class is different but most are about an hour with at least 5 minutes of savasana (total relaxation) at the end.  I do both Vinyassa and Hatha style. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards