Getting in Shape

Buying a wedding dress before losing weight?

Hi all!

I'm pretty new to this site (despite the fact that my info says I signed up in 2003 - I think I had to create an account years ago to access the tools to help with a friend's wedding!)

Anyway, I am so excited for my wedding and to marry my fiance! However, even though the big day is less than 6 months away, I don't feel "bride-y" at all, and I think it's because I haven't even started looking for a wedding dress.

It's very difficult for me to get excited about this (even though I LOVE shopping and fashion), because I'm unhappy with the way I look at the size I am now. I've gained some weight in the last couple of years, and am currently wearing a size 16/18. I'd like to get back to a 10/12 by my wedding date.

I'm currently on weight watchers (3 weeks, and I've only lost 1 lb.I haven't been giving 100%, but am newly motivated), and I'm going to start hitting the gym regularly.

That being said, do you think I should start dress shopping now or wait until I've lost weight? I understand that it takes a while to get your dress once you've ordered it, and more time for alterations, etc.

Should I buy a dress now and end up paying to have it extensively altered (and risk it looking wonky when it's taken in a few sizes) or, do you think I should really knock it out of the park with my weight loss plan, using dress shopping as my dangling carrot, and then try to "buy off the rack" in the spring?

And I know, logically and intellectually, that this is such a bad idea, but I am kind of tempted to buy a dress that is my goal wedding size (size 10) now and basically, I will HAVE to fit into it. Has anyone done this?

Anyone have any advice about this?

Thank you so much for any advice you might have, and thanks for reading!!

Re: Buying a wedding dress before losing weight?

• That is a tough call.  I waited to get closer to my goal weight to start dress shopping, but I had more time (I lost 25 pounds, bought my dress this weekend, plan on losing about another 10 more, and my wedding is in October).

It's a bad idea to get a dress way too small.  In fact, I think different types of dresses look good on someone who's a 16/18 vs a 10.

Can you look into what types of bridal shops are in your area and see how many off-the-rack options there are?  In my area I found some great stores that had tons of off-the-rack options just because I was looking to save money.  I found one store that sells all sample dresses and another store that sells once-worn (or never worn but unable to return) dresses and both had great selection.  If you had good options like that I would say to wait and see if you are able to lose weight.

Also talk to stores about when the absolute latest is that you can order and still get your dress on time.  Some may be more accomodating than others.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well, take it from someone who has successfully done weight watchers, you are going to want to wait. Once you start doing it 100 percent and exercising you are going to see great results!!!!!! On average like 3 lbs off a week and your alterations will cost a fortune!!!!. I also know how important it is to like how you look in you dress and you want to feel hapy and confident in how you look, so there is no harm in waiting. However, I would go an try dresses on. Your basic frame shape stays the same and you can start to get an idea of what you like, poofy not poofy, pattern, sweetheart, etc. Either way ou will look beautiful and have an amazing day, just dont wait too long!! good luck!!!
    The future Mrs. Smith Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Honestly I think it depends on the off the rack options available to you. Here, there are no off the rack stores. There is nowhere within 50 miles you can buy an off the rack dress, so I had to order my dress at the 8 month mark.

No two people will have the same results with weight watchers - some people just lose weight more slowly, and other people just don't do well with that specific program. I lose weight quickly when I'm eating well and exercising, but didn't lose much at all on WW. Do NOT count on losing 3lbs per week.

Going from a size 16/18 to a 10 is quite a way to go - I know because I'm in the midst of the exact same journey right now. For me, that works out to about 60lbs. to lose that amount in less than 6 months, you're going to need to have a will of iron and an unbelieveable workout ethic. Don't get me wrong, I really don't want to discourage you, but it's really hard to stay that motivated for that long, particularly over the holidays. For that reason, I would absolutely not recommend buying a dress that's too small for you. Even more so because wedding dresses are sized small. What would fit a regular size 10 person is usually called a 14 in wedding dresses. So if you ordered a size 10, even if you lost every pound you want to lose, you could still have a dress that's 2 sizes too small.

I say if you can find off the rack places in your area, wait.. If not, get the seamstress's advice on a dress that would alter nicely and buy a dress with a corset back, so that it needs less alteration..

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I honestly can't think of anything I want to do less, then try on a wedding dress..
    I think im going to wait until the last possible moment to do so!

I think maybe you should take your bridesmaids for their dress', or start planning your wedding shower with whoever is doing it! That could help.

Although, I shouldn't talk...I dont feel very bride-ey yet either..
    Photobucket Married at last! *11-18-11*
  • Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    I'm a size 16 now, when I started to lose weight I was probably more of a 16/18. I was wearing a 16, but probably should have been wearing an 18. I have lost about 25 lbs and I'm still wearing a 16, although they are starting to get a little baggy. Everyone loses weight differently. I think it will probably take me another 15 to get down to a 14, hopefully! I do't ever even remember that size....I think I just skipped over it. I've always been big, although I've played sports growing up.

I lost 50 lbs before and only went down 2 sizes! 20 to a 16!

So what I am saying is that by being a size 16 you never know how much weight you have to lose and to get down to that 10/12. I'm 5'11" so I'm SO jealous of the shorter girls who can lose like 5 -10 bs and go down a size. You only have 6 months and with all of the stress it will be difficult but not immpossible. Good luck. Remember you don't want a dress you don't like because you waited until the last minute.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_buying-wedding-dress-before-losing-weight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c73325cd-de30-47f8-baa4-d4ddb05a01e5Post:c69123d4-3f90-4f52-a2ce-9f5c697c2ab3">Re: Buying a wedding dress before losing weight?</a>:
    [QUOTE]... I'm 5'11" so I'm SO jealous of the shorter girls who can lose like 5 -10 bs and go down a size....
    Posted by Kate504[/QUOTE]

Lol yes it seems like it's easy for us petites, but when I did p90x  last summer it took an entire month to lose 1 lb! Mind you, I gained quite a bit of muscle in that program but my point is that although the numbers are very different from yours, we still gotta put the sweaty work in ;) Also, it works in the opposite way: a 5lb weight gain will put us up a size or two.

Now onto the dress dilemma - please don't buy a dress thats too small for you! It's tempting but it can end up being a very big stress factor in the end if the weight doesn't come off as planned. As someone mentioned earlier, consider buying a dress that alters well and has/can add a lace-up back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you do decide to buy now, look for a dress with a corset back, that builds in some flexibility and can help keep alteration costs in check.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you everyone for the encouragement and advice!! I think I'm scared straight as far as not buying a too-small wedding dress!! I love to imagine going into a bridal salon and trying on a dress when I'm closer to my goal weight, and having it look fantastic right off the hanger! I have nightmares of ripping wedding dresses while trying them on!!! That is what I'm going to think about from now on when I'm struggling with my diet, and when I'm sweating my a$$ off on the elliptical, LOL!!

Kjohnson69 - I love your idea about going to try on dresses now, just to get an idea of what I might get eventually.

And Kate 504 - I know what you mean about being tall and having lose soooo much weight to go down a size or two!!

In any event, I'm looking at today as Day One of my weight loss adventure, and I really feel motivated!

I also have mixed feelings about weight watchers. I know people who have had astounding success with it, and even more people who haven't had success, despite sticking to the plan. Sometimes I think it's a great system and makes great sense, other times I feel like I'm starving and it's simply not enough food! But I think that's just the fatty in me! I love eating!! I do find that the days that I stick to my WW points, I'm eating a TON of food, just healthier stuff, like straight-up vegan meals.  I think that's going to be the key for me, versus eating smaller portions of the unhealthy fried, buttery stuff that made me gain so much weight in the first place!!!

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and support, ladies!!!

• WW is changing thier plan tomorrow BTW
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Whatever you do, just order in your current size. DO NOT order a size smaller for motivation. Most brides don't end up losing as much weight as they hope and thus have to RE-order a new gown last minute.
  • get the dress that fits you now.  if they have to take it in, its ok. get a corset back for some flexibility.  and try to enjoy the process. As a size 18 bride, i know how hard it can be. make sure that you call salons to see if they have samples that you can try on. 

• Hi :)
    I am in a similar boat. Up until about a year ago when i did depo provera (awful never do it) I was a size 8, I have gained about 40 lbs over the last year and am in a pants size 12. I've never been this size in my life, hate the way clothes look on me and have moved from a clothes horse to someone who hates shopping.

I'm getting married in August and like every bride, I want to look my best. I was dying to go try on dresses but I am DETERMINED to lose at least 30 lbs before the wedding. Anywho, went to David's Bridal and a local bridal shop and it was pretty difficult. Everything I had pictures (lace, vintage, body hugging) looked awful. They didn't have much in my size (as someone mentioned before, a size 12 in pants is a 16 in wedding dresses), so I didn't even get to try things on that fit me.

Luckily my consultant at DB was amazing and understood my vision and pulled an amazing dress. The moment I walked out my mom started crying and I for the first time felt like a bride. The dress is not at all what I pictured but I LOVE it.

I asked them how late I could wait to order it, and if it was a popular dress that they would for sure carry in a few months and it was. So my plan is to work my ass off (literally) and then go back in February to order my hopefully size or two smaller dress :)

Hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards