Getting in Shape
Options

Shin Pain, tightness and pulling - suggestions needed please

I have been having this issue for years - i walk on the treadmill every morning then start to kick it up to sprints trying to do HIT but then the pain in my shins keeps me from progressing after about 3 weeks into the jogging part...
I know to ice and massage  and not to push threw the pain, i  have also  replaced my sneakers and stretch with my toe pointed....
Does anyone have any advice - i see everyone says stretch more but what is the best stretch and how can i get this pain to stop i really want to melt off some more weight before my wedding...i also plan on a trip to the Drs
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!

Re: Shin Pain, tightness and pulling - suggestions needed please

• Options
    Agreed with K. Definitely go to a place that specializes in running shoes and/or see a doctor. I did the same thing, was buying shoes with a ton of cushion when I should have been looking for the opposite. Sounds like you are experiencing shin splints, which are horribly painful. Unfortunately rest is really the only healing for them otherwise they just get worse.

The other thing to try is have you considered running on grass or on a trail versus pavement or the treadmill? It may help. Your other option is to try something non-impact like the elliptical or cycling. You shouldn't get shin splints from those.

When you stretch (pointed to stretch) make sure you are holding that stretch for at least 15 seconds.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In addition to what the other to posters have said (which are all pieces of advice I would give), look into increasing ankle strength and flexibility.  For a many running injuries, the problem is actually originating somewhere else.  I would start by checking out http://www.runnersworld.com/ for advice on injuries, injury prevention and injury recovery.
  • Options
    PPs have this covered.. but I wanted to add personal experience.
    My husband was getting HORRIBLE shin splints. He couldn't run a mile without being in pain... So we went to have his gate watched and it turns out he was wearing shoes with TOO MUCH support. 
    He bought a neutral/minimalist shoe (Gel Burrs. They still have some support, but are less thanmost running shoes) and has been running like a CHAMP ever since. 
  • Options
    Thanks All - i will def go to the running store i just bought based an an artical that suggested these sneakers :( 
    i will give the other tips a try too - they cant hurt :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    If you do have shin splits, compression sleeves changed my life.  Mine are Zensah, and I love them.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    hellebhelleb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Agree with PPs.  When I was looking into remedies for my shin splints, I learned that your stride also plays a part.  If you have too long of a stride it can increase the likelihood of shin splints.  If you have a long stride try to consciously shorten it and see that helps :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards