Getting in Shape
Options

Staying in shape while traveling

hello!! My fiancé and I are traveling to china and India in a few weeks for 2 months. Our wedding is in july, and I've been really good about eating clean and working out, but I'm scared that while we are traveling I'll gain weight or lose what I've already been working on. We are going to see family in china, so we will have a kitchen sometimes, and I am packing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred to start when we leave. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/advice from previous traveling that would help me find Healthier options or hotel room workouts? A lot of food is fried/greasy in china, so Ill have to keep my eyes out for the better choices. Thanks for any help :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Staying in shape while traveling

• Options
    The last vacation FI and I went on (Puerto RIco) we ate and drank A TON. And I think that's okay..it's important to get a good sense of the food different cultures. However I fully expected that have gained 5 pounds when we got back. We worked out maybe twice while we were there (were were there a week).

We got back and turns out we had both LOST weight. I was shocked.

Then we started thinking about how much we walked. We walked tons. We walked to the city instead of taking a cab a few times. Walked around on the beaches. Walked through the city. It really added up. I think as long as you stay active you will probably be okay.

Like you mentioned, a lot of Chinese/Indian food is fried/greasy. Try the best options that you can find but don't deny yourself the experience. It sounds like you are making a lot of preparations to make sure your trip doesn't set you back. I think tbeing aware of the food will help a a lot.

Have fun! That sounds like a fabulous trip..enjoy yourself!
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    This is someone I follow who I think is really good.  Amanda Russell does short, intense workouts and this one is from the holidays and it's in a hotel room:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPI-2FZg7Wg

Let me know if you like it!
  • Options
    I lived in India and lost a lot of weight. I walked everywhere and because I typically eat a lot of meat, going partially vegetarian really helped. Since so much of the food is fresher, I feel like my calorie intake was less than when I eat out at home. Even things like the sodas are served in smaller containers and use sugar, so don't totally ignore them (Limca and Thumbs Up are absolutely worth trying).

Depending on where you are, there are some really good options instead of the heavy cream and greasy foods. If you're north, some of the tandori options are really good and kebabs are underrated. Eat Dal- it's a lentil curry and is typically pretty light (at least where I lived). Dishes like Aloo Gobi aren't too heavy, but are pretty filling and full of veggies.Saag and Palak are good leafy greens, and although I tend to have them with cheese, they are pretty nutritious. I also found that spices tempered how much I needed to eat, the spicier things were, the less I need to eat to be full. You can find fruit really easily (mangos should be coming into season soon!!!) and if you wash them with bottled water, you should be fine, especially with things that you have to peel. Don't totally avoid the sweets, but go in small doses with them, which if you're like me, shouldn't be to hard, I found a lot of them too sweet. 

Carry water with you, it will start getting warm right about now, I lived in the south and we started getting weather in the 90s and no rain right around the beginning of March and I was in Delhi at the end of Feb and it was warm. 

On a total non-health note, try Butter Chicken or Butter Paneer. Straight up one of my favorite dishes, also straight up cream. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Indian curry's really aren't that bad for you - my personal favourite is Chicken Tikka Masala...of course it's better when you DON'T eat it with naan bread, but you should try it just to try it :) Goodluck!
  • Options
    I travel a ton for work and picked up the 10 Minute Trainer Videos from Tony Horton (P90X creator) so I have no excuses while being away.  I can always fit one workout in and if I have time for more then I keep going.  Good luck and have fun!!! Don't deny yourself too much, it's all abou the experience!
    image Le Creuset 5qt Oval French Oven in Caribbean Blue Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards