Getting in Shape
Options

Awful Eating Habits!!!!!

I am having the HARDEST time getting into a comfortable eating schedule. I will do great all the way till dinner. Then it becomes a free for all, and the ablility to stop eating doesn't happen. Does anyone have any tips as to how to NOT do that?

-K

Re: Awful Eating Habits!!!!!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_awful-eating-habits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:d8329bdd-1d88-4db9-8f02-89ef90ad5a71Post:f3128e73-c9ee-4de6-9052-31b0cec171d7">Awful Eating Habits!!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am having the HARDEST time getting into a comfortable eating schedule. I will do great all the way till dinner. Then it becomes a free for all, and the ablility to stop eating doesn't happen. Does anyone have any tips as to how to NOT do that? -K
    Posted by wishingforoctober6[/QUOTE]

I was just posting about this issue and got some tips from other ladies.  One thing I'm doing is using the Prevention hunger scale throughout the day to make sure I'm not just eating out of habit versus hunger.  Then if I consciously ask myself if I'm hungry based on this scale and find that I'm not then in my head I tell myself "no, you've had enough," almost like speaking to a kid.  And I will drink a cup of tea instead.  Here's the scale.

<a href="http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/6-ways-stop-overeating/1-use-hunger-scale" rel="nofollow">http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/6-ways-stop-overeating/1-use-hunger-scale</a>
  • Options
    Are you starving yourself during the day? If you don't give yourself enough to eat throughout the day that might explain why you go overboard at night. I would look at your overall calorie breakdown.

If you don't already, you might try tracking your calories on a site like myfitnesspal.com or sparkpeople.
  • Options
    Make sure you're eating enough during the day so you don't need to binge at dinner.

That used to happen to me (eating after dinner all night), until I started eating something sweet every night.  Now I feel satisfied and can stop eating unless I'm truly hungry again (I usually eat 1-2 Lindor truffles for dessert--rich enough to satisfy me, but it's not an insane amount of calories).

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Also, check whether you are eating due to boredom or just the habit of eating in front of the tv or something.  Small changes like keeping your hands busy while relaxing (i.e., knitting or something helped me), or keeping busy at night too. Like others said make sure you are getting enough food during day. Also, try to replace unhealthy "snacking" foods with healthy ones like carrots or seasame seeds or something that keep you busy.
    Aug 2013 Brides - January Siggy Wedding Site, Pinecrest Lake: imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    eat SMALL portions every two hours throughout the day.  You'll never feel hungry and if you're eating the right stuff, you won't be getting fat.  What I've done, attempting to stick to clean eating, is to start my day with a bowl of oatmeal with raisins, ground flaxseed and cinnamon and along with that, 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg.  Excellent booster for your day.  Then every two hours have your snack.  An example snack could be tuna and half an apple, or diced turkey/chicken with celery or something with whole grains.  Avoid the dreaded sugar, lol and stuff with white flour.  Portion sizes should fit in the palm of your hand.  My oatmeal is two handfuls, if you snack on nuts then do one handful, etc etc.  Anyway, just an idea of something you could try.  I noticed that I have more energy when I eat clean like that and the belly fat that I had? MELTING. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I drink a ton of water when I get home from work. I find the hunger/starving feelings I get in the evening aren't actually because I'm hungry it's because I'm thirsty! Especially if you are exercising, you need to be drinking a lot of water. This goes for during the day too. Start forcing yourself to drink a few glasses or a couple bottles during the day, you won't be as hungry.

What kinds of things are you eating during the day? What are your protein levels? Like PPs have mentioned, start looking at your calorie breakdown. Protein helps keep you feeling full longer, so make sure you are getting enough. Eat a snack like a handful of nuts, which have a lot of protein in them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Someone once told me to drink some water before every meal. It will help you stay fuller. Also, when you get hungry (or think you are hungry, but instead you might just be bored) find something to do and keep busy for 30 minutes. After that 30 minutes passes, you might find that you weren't really hungry, just eating because you were bored.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards