Getting in Shape
Options

Newbie to this board

Ok, I need to lose weight. I'm 5'1 and "overweight" I have over a year until my Big Day but I want to start seeing results. I'm trying to figure out my goal weight and find a good online tracker. I don't have a smartphone so apps won't work for me. I cut out the major sodas and drink diet, juices & water for a healthier option. I'm cautious with juices because in the past I fell into the sugar trap with some that had way too much sugar. Anyway, I'm also diabetic so I have to be careful. Any sugestions? I know I need to exercise more but I hate the gym. I have a membership, I just need motivation. All of my girlfriends are super skinny and I have no one to help me or for accountability. Any advice is welcome. Thank you for reading my rambling.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Newbie to this board

• Options
    Welcome, and congratulations! I'm new here as well, but you will find this a supportive place that has lots of good advice.

First off, make sure that your doctor is okay with you starting a diet/fitness program, and he or she might have some tips for you.

Start walking! Take an hour in the evening and go for a walk. It's a great way to de-stress, catch up (if your FI comes too), and enjoy the weather. It's usually where a doctor will tell you to start your fitness road.

If you don't like the gym, do workout dvds at home. I don't have access to a gym where I live, and I miss it now. Why don't you like it there? Did you not know what machines or weights to use? Do you find it intimidating? I used to take workouts from Oxygen magazine with me to the gym and they were great - I spent more time with free weights than machines, but the workouts were awesome...

At home, I would use Shape magazine workouts 3x a week, and do cardio for 5. I am now on my second elliptical machine because I wore the first one out!

There are tools online to tell you what your ideal weight range should be, but like BMI, these are guidelines. Judge your fitness, judge how you feel and look in your clothes. The number on the scale is something that no one knows but you - don't let it get you down.

http://www.medbroadcast.com/health_tools.asp?channel_id=2111&relation_id=84688&t=15&calculate=1&text_id=1858&ideal_height_1=5&unit_height1=ft&ideal_height_2=1&unit_height2=in&unit=1&calculate=Calculate

This one says that an ideal weight for someone who is 5'1 is anywhere from 98-132 lbs. I'm 5'4, and mine is between 108-145. I know that I will never be in the lower range, but I'm okay with that, because I have muscle and am focusing on how I look/feel.

Remember that you have to start somewhere. Over the last five years I have lost weight and plateaued many times, but not rebounded. I've taken it really slow and am now 15lbs from my goal and more determined than ever to get there. I've lost 40lbs, and worked for every one of them. It's not easy, but it's totally worth it!

Good luck, and use this board. You'll find some great resources here.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

The "ideal weight" link above fails to take into accound frame size on the individual.  Forget that crap.  Shoot for a weight that makes YOU feel good while eating a healthy diet.

lovely:  check out SparkPeople or MyFitnessPal.  Both are great free trackers.  Exercise is great but the foundation of weight loss is built out of food.  Track your food, stay within a good range, workout when you can (it'll help burn calories better), and good luck!
  • Options
    Or you can check out http://beachbodycoach.com/buriostegui there are a number of success stories of people who have transformed their lives.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_newbie-to-this-board?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:d8cf0bb8-0a20-4e26-b8f1-159a44ac5335Post:bed69afb-93db-4d63-97dd-b8b1bfe051e8">Re: Newbie to this board</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>The "ideal weight" link above fails to take into accound frame size on the individual.  Forget that crap.  Shoot for a weight that makes YOU feel good while eating a healthy diet.</strong> lovely:  check out SparkPeople or MyFitnessPal.  Both are great free trackers.  Exercise is great but the foundation of weight loss is built out of food.  Track your food, stay within a good range, workout when you can (it'll help burn calories better), and good luck!
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

I do agree, even though I'm the one who posted it. To me, using ideal weight calculators is like using BMI - something to give you a rough idea, but hardly something to base your whole life around. The point that I wanted to make was the huge difference within the range - and you're right, it does have to do with frame size, but it doesn't take into account things like athleticism and muscle mass.

Just one of many tools to point you in the right direction, not something to dictate your ultimate goal. I'm a huge supporter of the "when you feel good you look good" mantra, and that comes in all shapes and sizes. For me, it's about being healthy and strong. I don't want to have to deal with the health issues that my mother dealt with in her past.

Losing weight and getting in shape has to be something that you WANT, not something that you think you <strong>should</strong> do, because then it doesn't stick.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi, As a Pilates instructor and trainer and also soon to be married in dec! I would say you have to learn to love the gym. Unfortunately until you do it will be a struggle. I tell all my clients to find something you enjoy doing, spin class, Zumba, dance class, anything that gets you up , moving and working hard. You really have to want it, be focused and you will get results!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards