Getting in Shape

Smells at the gym

just need to vent.

Why is it always that the second I get on a treadmill or elliptical, somebody hops on the one next to me reeking of cigarettes? Body odor + cigarettes = NO. It makes me so sick. Why use cardio equipment if you've JUST had a cigarette? It makes no sense.

I also always wind up next to the person who has just marinated in perfume. Seriously? You're not covering anything up, sweat is natural, nobody's going to judge you for smelling like sweat at the gym. Florals and sweat? Not so much.

Re: Smells at the gym

• It's annoying, but thank goodness some smokers are doing things that can positively impact their cardiovascular health to fight the known harmful effects of the habit.  Also, some smokers cannot smell the residue on themselves.  The person might not realizing he is impacting anyone at all.
  • I keep ending up next to people with obnoxious BO.  Not like normal gym BO, I understand we're at a gym and people aren't exactly going to smell like roses, but it's like "I wear the same gym clothes every time I'm here and never wash them" BO.

My other favorite is the people who pop in multiple pieces of gum when they start running.  As if the choking hazard wasn't enough, that stuff is waaaaay too strong for me to keep actually breathing.
  • last night i was on the Cybex, and like 5 minutes into my workout, two girls in matching outfits got onto the machines to my right.  They talked the entire time they were there, loudly, while barely moving on the machines.  It was all I could hear even with my headphones in.  I almost rather the smelly person who took their place when they were done!!!
  • I've never experienced being next to a smoker. But I hate when someone bathes in perfume and then wants to work out next to me. I will literally stop what I am doing and move to a new machine. I can't take it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • there is a girl I keep finding myself next to in Yoga who I swear, smells like a different moldy food every time I see her. Last time she smelled like moldy corn. I also hate when people wear too much perfume, or re-use sweaty clothes. YUCK. I can't concentrate on my breathing through my nose when you people next to me have hideous smells!

I also hate when super-sweat men at the gym are using the weight machines, and forget to wipe it down when they are done. If I ever see moistness on a machine when I want to use it...I wipe it down in case it was sweat. gross.

I am glad someone started this thread :)
  • I always end up next to the smoker or the super sweaty guy who sweats everywhere. I will take the smoker any day over that guy. It doesn't matter what machine I use I always get stuck next to the super sweaty guy. He sweats every where. I don't mind sweating, god knows I sweat but I keep it to myself I don't force others around me to gag cause I can't keep it in my personal space. Also super sweaty guy never wipes his machine down, ewe, ewe and ewe.
  • I dont have a smell ting but a talking thing. this one guy ALWAY SHOUTS AS HES WORKING OUT. Its so loud i hear him over my headphones and hes like 15 bikes over.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was just venting about the gym last night to my FI.  I have decided I am sticking to my 4 am workouts or not going to the gym until after 7 pm.  There are too many people otherwise and I can't get anything done.  Plus all the "cool" gym rats that stare at themselves and other people.  Annoying! 

But I agree, I wish people would wear clean clothes, put on deodorant, not have a cigarette right before walking into the gym (I have seen that on several occasions) and don't go to the gym to look cute!  It's a gym either use the machines to get in a workout or get the heck out of my way!!!!  Some of us have goals to meet!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • These are all reasons why I don't go to public gyms any more. I'm one of the rare and lucky people who happens to have a personal trainer for a brother, and that brother happens to have a complete gym in his basement. When I used to go to a public gym, there was an old man who reeked of aftershave and A535 who would follow girls around and use whatever machines were next to them. Then there was the guy who would try and convince you that free weights were for boys. There are some things that people just shouldn't do in a gym setting, period.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards