Getting in Shape
Options

Will the people who...

need to lose a lot of weight super fast or suggest unhealthy ways to lose weight PLEASE STOP!

WAKE UP PEOPLE!! It is NOT healthy to lose a lot of weight very quickly, for many reasons. If you do not learn how to control your diet and lose weight at a moderate and healthy pace, you will be doomed to continue losing the same 10lbs over and over and over again.

FAD DIETS ARE NOT GOOD FOR YOU. They are a temporary fix that do more harm than good to  your system. Once you stop, you gain the weight back. It can wreak havoc on your metabolism. Cabbage soup, egg diets, cayan pepper diets, cleanses, whatever. BAD FOR YOU!

If you know you need to lose weight, make sensible goals. It is well documented that its healthy to lose 2lbs a week, but that is not always what happens, shoot for 1lb or around that a week and learn the healthy way to do that - calories in vs calories out. Start tracking your eating habits to figure out where you need to alter your diet. If you learn how to do it now, you will keep that knowledge for the rest of your life, you will improve your health by eating a well balanced diet.

Cutting carbs out of your diet completely is not smart and also impossible - your body NEEDS carbs to function. A certain % of your daily caloric intake should contain carbs. The carbs present in fruit, milk, whole wheat, they are all good for you! One of the best steps you can take is cutting out PRESERVATIVES. Being aware of sodium contents, sugar content, and avoiding foods with excessive amounts of those things.

To those who encourage posters on this board to try a fad diet, to try a diet pill, or do anything else that isnt healthy. STOP. We will be here to contradict your advice and anything you have to say on the matter. It is NOT a healthy way to lose weight, and promoting such cheap ways of trying to speed up your weight loss is NOT tollerated on this board.

All we want, is for people to learn how to be healthy, to achieve their weight loss goals in a healthy and sustainable way. BAD advice, goes against everything this board stands for.

STOP.

Re: Will the people who...

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Im starting to get the feeling a lot of us have wanted to rant about this.
  • Options

Aye, aye, and ditto on the above. And is it just me, or do terrible grammar and spelling seems to go hand-in-hand with these types of messages?? It hurts my brain just to try and read them. Sorry if that's catty, but really...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, I think a lot of us did want to rant about this.

Seriously, do people think we're stupid?  If there were a magic pill that made me safely and healthyfully lose 10 lbs a week, don't you think I would?  Don't you think everyone would?  It would be all over the news and no one would be overweight.  I understand that some people jump in too fast, it's easy to do.  It's easy to think that working out everyday for 6 months is the answer, but pills and potions?  really? 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_will-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:ebf4fe00-2447-4210-abf0-cdf244988238Post:c1bf30bb-3ba1-416d-afca-cd31a94550a5">Re: Will the people who...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aye, aye, and ditto on the above. And is it just me, or <strong>do terrible grammar and spelling seems to go hand-in-hand with these types of messages??</strong> It hurts my brain just to try and read them. Sorry if that's catty, but really...
    Posted by texgal79[/QUOTE]

I have noticed that also.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Preach on, Sisters!

I will admit... I was not smart. When I was in high school and college I thought diet pills were the way to go.

And they seriously messed my system up!

Now, I'm trying to do this the healthy way! I've managed to lose 10 pounds and keep that off, but I am a slooooow loser. .5 - 1 pound a week for me. And that's okay.

-- Thoughts become things, choose the good ones! --

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    I think slow is the way to go, ive read that if you lose it slowly you are more likely to keep it off long term. I think if you do it slowly you are actually learning how to do it, learning what the results of certain behavior are, and coming to terms with the changes in your body. It becomes a life long habit which makes it more likely to last a long time.
  • Options
    Okay, I reread my message and saw that I myself made a grammatical mistake. "Seems" should be "seem."  Doh. That's my karma, I suppose!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_will-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:ebf4fe00-2447-4210-abf0-cdf244988238Post:27e4bc14-62e9-4461-9152-e044eb47c63f">Re: Will the people who...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, I reread my message and saw that I myself made a grammatical mistake. "Seems" should be "seem."  Doh. That's my karma, I suppose!
    Posted by texgal79[/QUOTE]

hahaha!  Yeah, I completely agree, thanks for posting nebb!  I think the board has been inundated with this stuff because the weather is getting nicer and wedding season is approaching.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of the people who responded on this thread and others that have been supportive and it has been a pleasure to be communicating with you guys!
  • Options
    Yea...whenever I see the Quick Trim Kardashian commercial I yell at them that it won't work in the long run and they're hurting their body!! Errrr  you would think these diet pill companies are paying people to say this stuff!
  • Options
    What is the deal with this lately? I particularly hate when there is one poster that says "cut your carbs" then ten posters saying "cutting carbs is a terrible idea" and then ANOTHER person brings up cutting carbs again. Seriously STFU.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    I know people in real life who do crash diets or eat really bad in order to lose - but they do not want to listen to me. They dont realize that I know as much as I do, they dont know "nebb", they just know real life me, and refuse to listen. I think quick and easy is a lot more appealing to people than slow and a lot of work.
  • Options
    Yeah, the girl I sit next to/work for has been trying to lose weight since I started working there (2 yrs ago) & she never can. She does work out a  lot which is good, but her diet isn't good. She's always eats too little & then gorges herself on food that is bad for her or goes out drinking alot. One week she was bragging b/c she lost 4ibs in one week, but then gained it all back the very next week b/c she went out drinking/eating all weekend. I would try & say "do you want me to share what works for me" & she'd get annoyed & say she knows how to eat well. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    *golf clap*

Yeah, I'm getting sick of this as well.  I suspect that it's because bikini/wedding season is looming, and people are looking for the quick fixes to all the bad eating/ no exercising they did all winter.  It's just like in January, we usually get a bunch of these posts then as well. 

There is no quick, easy fix.  I wish there was, but it just isn't going to happen.  AND, yes, you can have those cookies and still lose weight.  Just not the whole bag of them.
  • Options
    Ditto to all of you!  My sister is overweight and got pills from the doctor which are supposed to aid in weight loss while you start a program not take the place of healthy diet and exercise.  She lost 15lbs in the first month and was telling me how great it was because she didn't do anything different.  She was eating the same and didn't exercise at all!  Duh...that's how you got to the weight you are in the first place!  Needless to say, the doc only let her take them for three months and she gained all the weight back.  Healthy diet and exercise are the only thing that works and it works every time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards